RE: [hreg] building efficiency vs style?

  • dpatterson@guardian.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
      If you are going to use large expanses of glass note the following:
      1) be sure to use at a minimum double silver low e. And you might consider
      triple silver low e that is just not entering the market.
      2) of course the glass must be insulated. Anytime you use low emissivity
      glass it will be insulatated.
      3) you also should consider the spacer material for the insulated units.
      SuperSpacer by Edgetech is a very low conducting spacer material.
      4) also considering putting argon gas in the air space of the ig units.
      5) If you are going to be using large pieces of glass and you don't want to
      see the mullion of the window then you might consider using the "spider
      claw" system of hanging pieces together. This is expensive but it look
      very modern and used a great deal in Europe.
      6) You should also consider a large overhand on the top of the roof if
      possible to give the glass shading.
      7) if $$ is not obstacle the latest in glass technology is glass that can
      go from transparent to translucent with a flick of the switch. You can
      actually turn a knob to allow more light to less light into the window.
      8) and lastly BIPV - give heliovolt in Austin , Tx a call to see if you can
      beta test their "building integrated photo voltaic" solar panels. The
      solar panels would acutally be in the glass and the energy absorbed during
      the day would go to lighting and cooling your house.

      Deron V. Patterson
      District Sales Manager| Guardian Industries Corp. | (Tel: 281.793.3618 | 2
      Fax: 281.313.4271 | š dpatterson@...| http://www.guardian.com/ |
      http://www.sun-guardglass.com/ | http://www.showerguardglass.com/ |
      http://www.climaguardspf.com/

      "Andrew McCalla"
      <andrew@meridians
      olar.com> To
      Sent by: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
      hreg@yahoogroups. cc
      com
      Subject
      RE: [hreg] building efficiency vs
      09/07/2006 11:30 style?
      AM

      Please respond to
      hreg@yahoogroups.
      com

      Paul,

      Beware of blue-sky radiation (it isn't just direct type that will be
      heating
      you up).

      The more glass you have, the more imperative it is that you buy nice glass,
      which is a good idea regardless.

      Keep us all posted,

      Andrew H. McCalla
      NABCEP Certified Solar PV System Installer (TM)

      Meridian Energy Systems
      2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
      Austin, TX 78704

      Voice: (512) 448-0055
      Fax: (512) 448-0045
      www.meridiansolar.com

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
        oh and one more thing.........be sure to use one lite of the insultated
        unit laminated glass. Laminated glass like in your windshield blocks out
        99.9% of the UVA and UVA harmful fading rays and cancer causing rays from
        entering your house. Or you can use Guardian's newest product ClimaGuard
        SPF glass.
        See the link below.

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
          Paul: what will you be doing the weekend of 22-24 Sep? Consider going to the
          Renewable Energy Roundup in Fredericksburg [ http://www.theroundup.org/ ] with an
          enroute stop in Austin to experience the breezeway between the admin building and the
          cafeteria at the Lady Bird Center [ http://www.wildflower.org/ ]. At the latter you may
          also get ideas about landscaping with native plants requiring less maintenance, water,
          etc. Enjoy!

          Ariel
          there is NO ONE who will help.
          -----------------------------------

          > If you are going to use large expanses of glass note the following:
          1) be sure to use
          > at a minimum double silver low e. And you might consider
          triple silver low e that is
          > just not entering the market.
          > 2) of course the glass must be insulated. Anytime you use low emissivity
          glass it
          > will be insulatated.
          > 3) you also should consider the spacer material for the insulated units.
          SuperSpacer
          > by Edgetech is a very low conducting spacer material.
          4) also considering putting
          > argon gas in the air space of the ig units.
          5) If you are going to be using large
          > pieces of glass and you don't want to
          see the mullion of the window then you might
          > consider using the "spider
          claw" system of hanging pieces together. This is
          > expensive but it look
          very modern and used a great deal in Europe.
          > 6) You should also consider a large overhand on the top of the roof if
          possible to
          > give the glass shading.
          > 7) if $$ is not obstacle the latest in glass technology is glass that can
          go from
          > transparent to translucent with a flick of the switch. You can
          actually turn a knob
          > to allow more light to less light into the window.
          8) and lastly BIPV - give
          > heliovolt in Austin , Tx a call to see if you can
          beta test their "building
          > integrated photo voltaic" solar panels. The
          solar panels would acutally be in the
          > glass and the energy absorbed during
          the day would go to lighting and cooling your
          > house.
          >

          > Deron V. Patterson
          > District Sales Manager| Guardian Industries Corp. | (Tel: 281.793.3618 | 2
          Fax:
          > 281.313.4271 | Å¡ dpatterson@...| http://www.guardian.com/ |
          http://www.sun-guardglass.com/ | http://www.showerguardglass.com/ |
          http://www.climaguardspf.com/

          > "Andrew McCalla"
          > <andrew@meridians
          olar.com>
          Sent by:
          hreg@yahoogroups.
          > cc
          com

          > Subject
          > RE: [hreg] building efficiency vs
          > 09/07/2006 11:30 style?
          AM

          > Please respond to
          > hreg@yahoogroups.
          > com
          >

          > Paul,
          >
          > Beware of blue-sky radiation (it isn't just direct type that will be
          heating
          > you up).
          >
          > The more glass you have, the more imperative it is that you buy nice glass,
          which is
          > a good idea regardless.
          >
          > Keep us all posted,
          >
          > Andrew H. McCalla
          > NABCEP Certified Solar PV System Installer (TM)
          >
          > Meridian Energy Systems
          > 2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
          > Austin, TX 78704
          >
          > Voice: (512) 448-0055
          > Fax: (512) 448-0045
          > www.meridiansolar.com

          Archer
          > Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 9:21 AM
          > To: Houston RE Group
          > Subject: [hreg] building efficiency vs style?
          >
          > My wife and I have decided to move to Dallas to be closer to (her) family.
          We've been
          > looking at houses, and it's gotten me thinking about
          > building--I've always wanted to build my own home.
          >
          > After living in a mid-century modern house (on a block of mid-century
          moderns) for
          > several years, and especially after looking at a Cliff May
          > (http://www.ranchostyle.com/gallery) house while visiting Dallas this
          weekend, I'm
          > convinced that I want to build something in the Eichler/Cliff
          May style. (For those
          > of you who aren't familiar with that style, it
          includes large expanses of windows,
          > often floor to ceiling. The Cliff May
          we

          > saw in Dallas had one room that was floor to ceiling glass on three sides!)

          > So, the question is: can a modern, energy efficient home be built that
          includes that
          > much glass? Or will there be a severe trade-off between
          efficiency and style?

          > Paul

          This
          > communication may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential, or
          exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any
          dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received
          this message in error please notify the sender by telephone, fax, or return email and

          > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Yahoo! Groups
          gets a make over. See the new email design.