RE: [hreg] building efficiency vs style?

  • Shafer, Mark B
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
      Having had a house with lots of glass on the East and West side (just
      regular glass- not double paned), we experienced temps in the house
      higher than ambient outside temps. Having a house now that faces north,
      few east and west windows, the greatest heat source is the southern
      window exposure.

      If you're building up North, the suggestions are to have lots of
      southern window exposure to capture the natural heat of the sun. In the
      south or in the Dallas area I would suggest lot's of glass on the
      northern side of the house with a covered porch - limited windows on the
      east, west, and south side of the house.

      You'll probably be looking at 110 degrees during a Dallas summer.

      Use of winds as Kim says is a great idea. Down in Corpus Christi, old
      farm houses seemed cool in spite of the heat. High ceiling, built on
      blocks, and window placement to catch the constant breeze worked well
      before air conditioning. You can also use plants that shade in summer
      and drop leaves allowing solar heating in winter.

      Good luck on your new adventure. Update us on what you do and how well
      it works.

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
        Paul,

        Beware of blue-sky radiation (it isn't just direct type that will be heating
        you up).

        The more glass you have, the more imperative it is that you buy nice glass,
        which is a good idea regardless.

        Keep us all posted,

        Andrew H. McCalla
        NABCEP Certified Solar PV System Installer (TM)

        Meridian Energy Systems
        2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
        Austin, TX 78704

        Voice: (512) 448-0055
        Fax: (512) 448-0045
        www.meridiansolar.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
          If you are going to use large expanses of glass note the following:
          1) be sure to use at a minimum double silver low e. And you might consider
          triple silver low e that is just not entering the market.
          2) of course the glass must be insulated. Anytime you use low emissivity
          glass it will be insulatated.
          3) you also should consider the spacer material for the insulated units.
          SuperSpacer by Edgetech is a very low conducting spacer material.
          4) also considering putting argon gas in the air space of the ig units.
          5) If you are going to be using large pieces of glass and you don't want to
          see the mullion of the window then you might consider using the "spider
          claw" system of hanging pieces together. This is expensive but it look
          very modern and used a great deal in Europe.
          6) You should also consider a large overhand on the top of the roof if
          possible to give the glass shading.
          7) if $$ is not obstacle the latest in glass technology is glass that can
          go from transparent to translucent with a flick of the switch. You can
          actually turn a knob to allow more light to less light into the window.
          8) and lastly BIPV - give heliovolt in Austin , Tx a call to see if you can
          beta test their "building integrated photo voltaic" solar panels. The
          solar panels would acutally be in the glass and the energy absorbed during
          the day would go to lighting and cooling your house.

          Deron V. Patterson
          District Sales Manager| Guardian Industries Corp. | (Tel: 281.793.3618 | 2
          Fax: 281.313.4271 | š dpatterson@...| http://www.guardian.com/ |
          http://www.sun-guardglass.com/ | http://www.showerguardglass.com/ |
          http://www.climaguardspf.com/

          "Andrew McCalla"
          <andrew@meridians
          olar.com> To
          Sent by: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
          hreg@yahoogroups. cc
          com
          Subject
          RE: [hreg] building efficiency vs
          09/07/2006 11:30 style?
          AM

          Please respond to
          hreg@yahoogroups.
          com

[...]

          This communication may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender by telephone, fax, or return email and delete this message from your computer. Thank you.
        • dpatterson@guardian.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
            oh and one more thing.........be sure to use one lite of the insultated
            unit laminated glass. Laminated glass like in your windshield blocks out
            99.9% of the UVA and UVA harmful fading rays and cancer causing rays from
            entering your house. Or you can use Guardian's newest product ClimaGuard
            SPF glass.
            See the link below.

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
              Paul: what will you be doing the weekend of 22-24 Sep? Consider going to the
              Renewable Energy Roundup in Fredericksburg [ http://www.theroundup.org/ ] with an
              enroute stop in Austin to experience the breezeway between the admin building and the
              cafeteria at the Lady Bird Center [ http://www.wildflower.org/ ]. At the latter you may
              also get ideas about landscaping with native plants requiring less maintenance, water,
              etc. Enjoy!

              Ariel
              there is NO ONE who will help.
              -----------------------------------

              > If you are going to use large expanses of glass note the following:
              1) be sure to use
              > at a minimum double silver low e. And you might consider
              triple silver low e that is
              > just not entering the market.
              > 2) of course the glass must be insulated. Anytime you use low emissivity
              glass it
              > will be insulatated.
              > 3) you also should consider the spacer material for the insulated units.
              SuperSpacer
              > by Edgetech is a very low conducting spacer material.
              4) also considering putting
              > argon gas in the air space of the ig units.
              5) If you are going to be using large
              > pieces of glass and you don't want to
              see the mullion of the window then you might
              > consider using the "spider
              claw" system of hanging pieces together. This is
              > expensive but it look
              very modern and used a great deal in Europe.
              > 6) You should also consider a large overhand on the top of the roof if
              possible to
              > give the glass shading.
              > 7) if $$ is not obstacle the latest in glass technology is glass that can
              go from
              > transparent to translucent with a flick of the switch. You can
              actually turn a knob
              > to allow more light to less light into the window.
              8) and lastly BIPV - give
              > heliovolt in Austin , Tx a call to see if you can
              beta test their "building
              > integrated photo voltaic" solar panels. The
              solar panels would acutally be in the
              > glass and the energy absorbed during
              the day would go to lighting and cooling your
              > house.
              >

              > Deron V. Patterson
              > District Sales Manager| Guardian Industries Corp. | (Tel: 281.793.3618 | 2
              Fax:
              > 281.313.4271 | Å¡ dpatterson@...| http://www.guardian.com/ |
              http://www.sun-guardglass.com/ | http://www.showerguardglass.com/ |
              http://www.climaguardspf.com/

              > "Andrew McCalla"
              > <andrew@meridians
              olar.com>
              Sent by:
              hreg@yahoogroups.
              > cc
              com

              > Subject
              > RE: [hreg] building efficiency vs
              > 09/07/2006 11:30 style?
              AM

              > Please respond to
              > hreg@yahoogroups.
              > com
              >

              > Paul,
              >
              > Beware of blue-sky radiation (it isn't just direct type that will be
              heating
              > you up).
              >
              > The more glass you have, the more imperative it is that you buy nice glass,
              which is
              > a good idea regardless.
              >
              > Keep us all posted,
              >
              > Andrew H. McCalla
              > NABCEP Certified Solar PV System Installer (TM)
              >
              > Meridian Energy Systems
              > 2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
              > Austin, TX 78704
              >
              > Voice: (512) 448-0055
              > Fax: (512) 448-0045
              > www.meridiansolar.com

              Archer
              > Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 9:21 AM
              > To: Houston RE Group
              > Subject: [hreg] building efficiency vs style?
              >
              > My wife and I have decided to move to Dallas to be closer to (her) family.
              We've been
              > looking at houses, and it's gotten me thinking about
              > building--I've always wanted to build my own home.
              >
              > After living in a mid-century modern house (on a block of mid-century
              moderns) for
              > several years, and especially after looking at a Cliff May
              > (http://www.ranchostyle.com/gallery) house while visiting Dallas this
              weekend, I'm
              > convinced that I want to build something in the Eichler/Cliff
              May style. (For those
              > of you who aren't familiar with that style, it
              includes large expanses of windows,
              > often floor to ceiling. The Cliff May
              we

              > saw in Dallas had one room that was floor to ceiling glass on three sides!)

              > So, the question is: can a modern, energy efficient home be built that
              includes that
              > much glass? Or will there be a severe trade-off between
              efficiency and style?

              > Paul

              This
              > communication may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential, or
              exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any
              dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received
              this message in error please notify the sender by telephone, fax, or return email and

              > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Yahoo! Groups
              gets a make over. See the new email design.