Re: [hreg] building efficiency vs style?

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
      Thanks for the response. I hadn't been thinking about how passive solar
      would make a difference (the large overhangs).
      And I haven't had a chance to get out to the Animal Farm, although I'd very
      much like to sometime.

      Paul

      10:11am, Lunce wrote:

      >> So, the question is: can a modern, energy efficient home be built that
      >> includes that much glass?
      >>

      > Ofcourse the answer is - it depends!
      >
      > First I thought you wanted a fishbowl - a la Philip Johnson's glass
      > house. But looking at the pictures, you have lots of exterior building
      > skin i.e. if the glass is facing south and protected in summer from the
      > sun while allowing sunlight in during the winter months - you will have
      > much better control than if you had a unprotected west exposure.
      >
      > Have you visited Animal Farm? (which has been on the HREG tour for the
      > past 2 years). The main level has glass on all 4 sides floor to
      > ceiling. But since the overhangs are large and the sun never strikes
      > the glass, and the space is so positioned for natural ventilation within
      > the nest of trees, it accommodates the climate.
      >

      >> Or will there be a severe trade-off between
      >> efficiency and style?
      >>

      > Obviously there is always a trade off. How severe depends on how much
      > you are willing to alter your lifestyle to be in balance with what you
      > wish to achieve.
      >
      > Cheers :)
      >
      > Lunce

      echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc
      (It's safe)
    • Paul Archer
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
        That's a good idea. Of course, I want to take advantage of nature as much as
        possible.
        I think part of my problem right now is that the house I'm in is very poorly
        designed as far as efficiency goes. It has a flat roof with inadequate
        insulation (and no easy way to add more), and poor airflow. I have to run
        the A/C pretty much year round (until it gets *cold* outside). So I've been
        in the mindset of "houses are inefficient."
        Yet the house next to us, with its deep eaves and high roof, stays cool with very little
        A/C use. So I know things can be better.

        Paul

        10:35am, Garth & Kim Travis wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > While I am not an architect or engineer, what I have discovered is
        > that you need a lot of open space, ie windows to remove the heat
        > generated by living. Perhaps you could look at windows that open,
        > rather than glass and get what you want in an efficient home. Making
        > use of prevailing winds really cuts cooling costs as you don't need
        > to turn on the AC until much later in the year and can turn it off at
        > night when the temperature drops, like the last few nights. While it
        > has been down in the 60s F at night, very few people have a home that
        > can take advantage of this. The heat generating appliances keep our
        > interior temperature too high and it is difficult to remove that
        > heat. I built my place to take advantage of the wind and I really
        > notice the difference it can make.
        >
        > Bright Blessings,
        > Kim
        >

        > At 09:21 AM 9/7/2006, you wrote:
        >> My wife and I have decided to move to Dallas to be closer to (her) family.
        >> We've been looking at houses, and it's gotten me thinking about
        >> building--I've always wanted to build my own home.
        >>
        >> After living in a mid-century modern house (on a block of mid-century
        >> moderns) for several years, and especially after looking at a Cliff May
        >> (http://www.ranchostyle.com/gallery) house while visiting Dallas this
        >> weekend, I'm convinced that I want to build something in the Eichler/Cliff
        >> May style. (For those of you who aren't familiar with that style, it
        >> includes large expanses of windows, often floor to ceiling. The Cliff May we
        >> saw in Dallas had one room that was floor to ceiling glass on three sides!)
        >>
        >> So, the question is: can a modern, energy efficient home be built that
        >> includes that much glass? Or will there be a severe trade-off between
        >> efficiency and style?
        >>
        >> Paul
        >>

        >> ----------------------
        >> | Wanted |
        >> | $10,000 reward |
        >> | Schroedinger's Cat |
        >> | Dead or Alive |

        "Somebody did say Swedish porn, there--
        but someone always does..."
        --Clive Anderson, host of "Whose Line Is It, Anyway",
        after asking the audience for movie suggestions
      • Shafer, Mark B
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
          Having had a house with lots of glass on the East and West side (just
          regular glass- not double paned), we experienced temps in the house
          higher than ambient outside temps. Having a house now that faces north,
          few east and west windows, the greatest heat source is the southern
          window exposure.

          If you're building up North, the suggestions are to have lots of
          southern window exposure to capture the natural heat of the sun. In the
          south or in the Dallas area I would suggest lot's of glass on the
          northern side of the house with a covered porch - limited windows on the
          east, west, and south side of the house.

          You'll probably be looking at 110 degrees during a Dallas summer.

          Use of winds as Kim says is a great idea. Down in Corpus Christi, old
          farm houses seemed cool in spite of the heat. High ceiling, built on
          blocks, and window placement to catch the constant breeze worked well
          before air conditioning. You can also use plants that shade in summer
          and drop leaves allowing solar heating in winter.

          Good luck on your new adventure. Update us on what you do and how well
          it works.

          > So, the question is: can a modern, energy efficient home be built that
          > includes that much glass?

          Ofcourse the answer is - it depends!

          First I thought you wanted a fishbowl - a la Philip Johnson's glass
          house. But looking at the pictures, you have lots of exterior building
          skin i.e. if the glass is facing south and protected in summer from the
          sun while allowing sunlight in during the winter months - you will have
          much better control than if you had a unprotected west exposure.

          Have you visited Animal Farm? (which has been on the HREG tour for the
          past 2 years). The main level has glass on all 4 sides floor to
          ceiling. But since the overhangs are large and the sun never strikes
          the glass, and the space is so positioned for natural ventilation within

          the nest of trees, it accommodates the climate.

          > Or will there be a severe trade-off between
          > efficiency and style?

          Obviously there is always a trade off. How severe depends on how much
          you are willing to alter your lifestyle to be in balance with what you
          wish to achieve.

          Cheers :)

          Lunce

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Andrew McCalla
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
            Paul,

            Beware of blue-sky radiation (it isn't just direct type that will be heating
            you up).

            The more glass you have, the more imperative it is that you buy nice glass,
            which is a good idea regardless.

            Keep us all posted,

            Andrew H. McCalla
            NABCEP Certified Solar PV System Installer (TM)

            Meridian Energy Systems
            2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
            Austin, TX 78704

            Voice: (512) 448-0055
            Fax: (512) 448-0045
            www.meridiansolar.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
              If you are going to use large expanses of glass note the following:
              1) be sure to use at a minimum double silver low e. And you might consider
              triple silver low e that is just not entering the market.
              2) of course the glass must be insulated. Anytime you use low emissivity
              glass it will be insulatated.
              3) you also should consider the spacer material for the insulated units.
              SuperSpacer by Edgetech is a very low conducting spacer material.
              4) also considering putting argon gas in the air space of the ig units.
              5) If you are going to be using large pieces of glass and you don't want to
              see the mullion of the window then you might consider using the "spider
              claw" system of hanging pieces together. This is expensive but it look
              very modern and used a great deal in Europe.
              6) You should also consider a large overhand on the top of the roof if
              possible to give the glass shading.
              7) if $$ is not obstacle the latest in glass technology is glass that can
              go from transparent to translucent with a flick of the switch. You can
              actually turn a knob to allow more light to less light into the window.
              8) and lastly BIPV - give heliovolt in Austin , Tx a call to see if you can
              beta test their "building integrated photo voltaic" solar panels. The
              solar panels would acutally be in the glass and the energy absorbed during
              the day would go to lighting and cooling your house.

              Deron V. Patterson
              District Sales Manager| Guardian Industries Corp. | (Tel: 281.793.3618 | 2
              Fax: 281.313.4271 | š dpatterson@...| http://www.guardian.com/ |
              http://www.sun-guardglass.com/ | http://www.showerguardglass.com/ |
              http://www.climaguardspf.com/

              "Andrew McCalla"
              <andrew@meridians
              olar.com> To
              Sent by: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
              hreg@yahoogroups. cc
              com
              Subject
              RE: [hreg] building efficiency vs
              09/07/2006 11:30 style?
              AM

              Please respond to
              hreg@yahoogroups.
              com

[...]

              This communication may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender by telephone, fax, or return email and delete this message from your computer. Thank you.
            • dpatterson@guardian.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
                oh and one more thing.........be sure to use one lite of the insultated
                unit laminated glass. Laminated glass like in your windshield blocks out
                99.9% of the UVA and UVA harmful fading rays and cancer causing rays from
                entering your house. Or you can use Guardian's newest product ClimaGuard
                SPF glass.
                See the link below.

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
                  Paul: what will you be doing the weekend of 22-24 Sep? Consider going to the
                  Renewable Energy Roundup in Fredericksburg [ http://www.theroundup.org/ ] with an
                  enroute stop in Austin to experience the breezeway between the admin building and the
                  cafeteria at the Lady Bird Center [ http://www.wildflower.org/ ]. At the latter you may
                  also get ideas about landscaping with native plants requiring less maintenance, water,
                  etc. Enjoy!

                  Ariel
                  there is NO ONE who will help.
                  -----------------------------------

                  > If you are going to use large expanses of glass note the following:
                  1) be sure to use
                  > at a minimum double silver low e. And you might consider
                  triple silver low e that is
                  > just not entering the market.
                  > 2) of course the glass must be insulated. Anytime you use low emissivity
                  glass it
                  > will be insulatated.
                  > 3) you also should consider the spacer material for the insulated units.
                  SuperSpacer
                  > by Edgetech is a very low conducting spacer material.
                  4) also considering putting
                  > argon gas in the air space of the ig units.
                  5) If you are going to be using large
                  > pieces of glass and you don't want to
                  see the mullion of the window then you might
                  > consider using the "spider
                  claw" system of hanging pieces together. This is
                  > expensive but it look
                  very modern and used a great deal in Europe.
                  > 6) You should also consider a large overhand on the top of the roof if
                  possible to
                  > give the glass shading.
                  > 7) if $$ is not obstacle the latest in glass technology is glass that can
                  go from
                  > transparent to translucent with a flick of the switch. You can
                  actually turn a knob
                  > to allow more light to less light into the window.
                  8) and lastly BIPV - give
                  > heliovolt in Austin , Tx a call to see if you can
                  beta test their "building
                  > integrated photo voltaic" solar panels. The
                  solar panels would acutally be in the
                  > glass and the energy absorbed during
                  the day would go to lighting and cooling your
                  > house.
                  >

                  > Deron V. Patterson
                  > District Sales Manager| Guardian Industries Corp. | (Tel: 281.793.3618 | 2
                  Fax:
                  > 281.313.4271 | Å¡ dpatterson@...| http://www.guardian.com/ |
                  http://www.sun-guardglass.com/ | http://www.showerguardglass.com/ |
                  http://www.climaguardspf.com/

                  > "Andrew McCalla"
                  > <andrew@meridians
                  olar.com>
                  Sent by:
                  hreg@yahoogroups.
                  > cc
                  com

                  > Subject
                  > RE: [hreg] building efficiency vs
                  > 09/07/2006 11:30 style?
                  AM

                  > Please respond to
                  > hreg@yahoogroups.
                  > com
                  >

                  > Paul,
                  >
                  > Beware of blue-sky radiation (it isn't just direct type that will be
                  heating
                  > you up).
                  >
                  > The more glass you have, the more imperative it is that you buy nice glass,
                  which is
                  > a good idea regardless.
                  >
                  > Keep us all posted,
                  >
                  > Andrew H. McCalla
                  > NABCEP Certified Solar PV System Installer (TM)
                  >
                  > Meridian Energy Systems
                  > 2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                  > Austin, TX 78704
                  >
                  > Voice: (512) 448-0055
                  > Fax: (512) 448-0045
                  > www.meridiansolar.com

                  Archer
                  > Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 9:21 AM
                  > To: Houston RE Group
                  > Subject: [hreg] building efficiency vs style?
                  >
                  > My wife and I have decided to move to Dallas to be closer to (her) family.
                  We've been
                  > looking at houses, and it's gotten me thinking about
                  > building--I've always wanted to build my own home.
                  >
                  > After living in a mid-century modern house (on a block of mid-century
                  moderns) for
                  > several years, and especially after looking at a Cliff May
                  > (http://www.ranchostyle.com/gallery) house while visiting Dallas this
                  weekend, I'm
                  > convinced that I want to build something in the Eichler/Cliff
                  May style. (For those
                  > of you who aren't familiar with that style, it
                  includes large expanses of windows,
                  > often floor to ceiling. The Cliff May
                  we

                  > saw in Dallas had one room that was floor to ceiling glass on three sides!)

                  > So, the question is: can a modern, energy efficient home be built that
                  includes that
                  > much glass? Or will there be a severe trade-off between
                  efficiency and style?

                  > Paul

                  This
                  > communication may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential, or
                  exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any
                  dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received
                  this message in error please notify the sender by telephone, fax, or return email and

                  > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Yahoo! Groups
                  gets a make over. See the new email design.