Arrrrgghhh!

  • James Ferrill
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2000
      Arrrrggghh!

      Yesterday was really screwed up. I went to pick up my wife from work at
      3pm. When we got back, the power was off and stayed off until 8:30pm. The
      shed system was fully charged, but the inverter was off. I'm using an old
      APC SmartUPS that won't come on unless it has power. The old models had no
      cold-start ability. So I went to hook up a small 300 watt inverter to jump
      start the bigger one. But I made a mistake and hooked the small unit up to
      the same battery pack to supply 12 volts. When I did this, I didn't realize
      that the 24 volts would backfeed through the smaller inverter. When it did,
      it blew out every output transistor in the UPS. It sounded and smelled like
      I was cooking a large batch of really burnt popcorn. So I got to sit
      through a long power failure with a useless, fully charged set of batteries
      and missed any chance to be the only one in the neighborhood to have my
      lights, computers, and Christmas lights on, which would have been so cool.

      Damn. Looks like I'm getting a new inverter for Christmas :-D

      James Ferrill