RE: [hreg] Hot Holiday Items for efficiency!

  • James Ferrill
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 17, 2000
      Check out http://www.smarthome.com/index.html and look on the X10 tab.

      Other links:

      http://www.geocities.com/~powersphere/powersphere/moreinfo.html
      http://www.geocities.com/~powersphere/rcx-index/index.html
      http://www.homeautomation.com/

      James Ferrill

      At 10:03 AM 12/17/2000, you wrote:
      It may seem a strange curiosity to you, but I started the thread a few weeks ago because I was trying
      to find a cheaper source of dimmable CF's for enclosed fixtures.  I had only just discovered that such
      CF's now exist.  They are not available in any of the local stores, nor do they even know about them.
      Lowes, for example, has many of the standard CF's, but no dimmable ones, nor candelabra ones, nor
      spotlights.  And most of what they have are not even recommended for use in enclosed fixtures.  So
      it is not surprising to me that neither myself nor many other people know that much about them.  For
      the same reason, it is not surprising that most homes in the area are lit by incandescents.  This is
      a real opportunity for us to learn more about these and share that knowledge with our friends and
      neighbors for the good of all.

      I see from your website that you guys do X-10 systems too.  Maybe you could comment on your
      experience with X-10 and CF's.  The reason I have been holding off on CF's in my house until just
      a couple months ago when I discovered the Springlamp dimmable CF's is that I didn't think that
      the conventional CF's would be compatible with my X-10 wall switches or Enerlogic X-10 control
      system.  Several years ago I replaced most switches with X-10 wall switches and the Enerlogic
      controller so that I could save energy by controlling the lights in the house, some with motion
      detectors, and others on computer controlled sequences (e.g., turn the kids' lights off periodically
      since they always forget).  Have you used any CF's besides the new dimmable ones on X-10
      switched circuits?  Is there a fire hazard in doing so?

      Somewhat off-topic, I'd also be curious to know if you know of X-10 switches that have longer
      lifetime than the Powerhouse X-10 switches I buy locally, yet without the high cost of the Leviton
      switches.  My X-10 switches only seem to last about 3 years before the switch fails in various
      ways.  I'm tempted to rip the system out, which would also let me get the standard CF's!

    • Andrew McCalla
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 18, 2000
        All,

        Thanks to Robert for the litany of resources regarding CF's and high
        efficiency lamps in general.

        Unfortunately, I think there is still much work to be done in educating
        both retailers and consumers alike as to the virtues and benefits of CF
        lighting products. Not only do some people consider CF's exotic, but many
        more people do not even consider them as an available option. I don't find
        this very curious for the simple reason of exposure, or lack thereof in
        this case. Even though the lamps are available in numerous retail
        outlets, those outlets, in my opinion, are not numerous enough. Therfore,
        I think that any and all exposure is a good thing.

        And now, for some good news:

        Sub CF's for $4.95 delivered. I haven't tried these out, but at that
        price, it should be worth it to try some.

        http://www.pnl.gov/cfl/

        Andrew

        Andrew H. McCalla
        Meridian Energy Systems, Inc.
        Solar-Electric System Design, Installation, and Service.
        P.O. Box 5810
        Austin, TX 78763
        Tel: 512-477-3050
        Fax: 512-477-3035
        www.meridiansolar.com
      • Steve Shepard
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 18, 2000
          Our experience with CFs and powerline carrier control is that most "X-10" products cannot control CFs properly.

          As a practice we do offer superior quality powerline carrier switch receivers that can operate and switch CFs, common fluorescents, pumps and in fact the current rating on our ACT switch receivers is designed to handle a wide variety of electrical loads.  These switch receivers are also available as a dimming switch receiver.  These products are UL approved, have been available for about twenty years and there are no safety issues associated with their use.

          They do require some skills, experience and expertise to apply and install successfully because most consumers are not aware of the functional issues associated with the application of powerline carrier technology.  As an experienced vendor we have seen most of these technical issues and we pretty much know the solution to them all.

          The relation that control systems (home automation) has to the renewable energy industry is that when applied properly this technology and these systems can and do make a significant contribution towards energy savings in the home or office.
          We have married these two technologies in the past in a residential system that automatically disables home electrical systems at regular intervals (timed events) and when the electrical system is not required.

          We found there are additional challenges related to this marriage.  Unless the renewable energy system provides a fairly clean, true sine wave electrial environment it is almost not worth the effort.

          I am familar with products you mention in your post.  Fortunately there are many more products available today that offer superior quality, performance and are easier to install, apply and maintain.  It is common knowledge in the industry that if you get six months or a year's service out of X-10 Powerhouse products you have pretty much got your money's worth.  The products we recommend and sell will pratically last the life of your home.  They do cost more and there is a reason.

          SBT Designs
          25840 IH-10 West #1
          Boerne, Texas 78006
          210-698-7109
          www.sbtdesigns.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2001
            Outstanding link! Thanks, Andrew!
            > And now, for some good news:
            >
            > Sub CF's for $4.95 delivered. I haven't tried these out, but at that
            > price, it should be worth it to try some.
            >
            > http://www.pnl.gov/cfl/
            >
            > Andrew

          • Ryan McMullan
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2001
              Has anyone tried these yet? I'm curious what their light quality
              is like.

              Ryan