"Commercial Electric" CFLs

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2006
      To follow up on my email from last week concerning Walmart trying to sell
      100 million CFL (compact fluorescent lights):
      This weekend I convinced my mother-in-law to buy some while we were in
      Walmart. I got the GE brand, and was very disappointed because the bulbs
      have a short but noticable startup time (about 1/2 second).

      When I got back to my house, I checked the bulbs that I bought from Home
      Depot. They are "Commerical Electric" brand. I prefer them because they turn
      on pretty much instantly (although, like any CFL, they do take a minute to
      get to maximum intensity), and they are shorter than the GE bulbs.

      Here's an interesting site that compares a lot of brands:
      http://www.execulink.com/~impact/fluorescent_lights.htm

      Paul

      PS. I did like the GE bulbs for one thing: they sell a 150watt equivalent
      bulb, and I haven't seen that size from other manufacturers.

      Never ascribe to malice what can perfectly
      well be explained by stupidity. -Anonymous
    • John Miggins
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2006
        Be sure to buy energy star certified bulbs, they have to meet the guidelines of the program for life expectency (?)

        you know what I mean.

        thanks

        “Some men see things the way they are
        and ask, ‘Why?’ ” I dream things that never were,
        and ask ‘Why not?’ ”

        George Bernard Shaw

        John Miggins
        Harvest Solar & Wind Power
        "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
        www.harvest-energy.com
        Phone/Fax 918-743-2299

        Never ascribe to malice what can perfectly
        well be explained by stupidity. -Anonymous

      • Nan Hildreth

[...]

          Nan Hildreth, Houston  713-842-6643

          "A vision of politics must be articulated that clarifies the essential moral issues at stake in any political discussion."  "The alternative to the passive politics of the status quo is a prophetic politics of personal and social transformation.  However, the movement from one to the other will change our very understanding of politics."

          Jim Wallis, The Soul of Politics: A Practical and Prophetic Vision for Change, 1994 www.sojo.net www.calltorenewal.com