I bought the solar fan for the car

  • evelyn sardina
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6, 2006
      I bought the solar fan that extracts heat out of the car and noticed when I opened the
      box it specified that that product has been found to cause birth defects of sort and or
      could harm the chances of comception. Needless to say I am mortified by this.
      If this is the case why would people put this in their cars? Does anyone know anything
      about this? Also, if this is such a small panel and can have this effect, what will happen if people use these panels to power cells, computer back packs and even bigger things like solar panels in their homes?
      Don't we have enough health problems already?
      Concerned, Evelyn

    • Roy Holder
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 6, 2006
        Probably because there is a tiny amount of lead in some part of it.
        California requires that on any product that contains lead that is marketed
        or sold in that state.

        At 12:06 PM 9/6/2006 -0700, evelyn sardina wrote:
        > car and noticed when I opened the box it specified that that product
        >has been found to cause birth defects of sort and or could harm the
        >chances of comception. Needless to say I am mortified by this. If this is
        >the case why would people put this in their cars? Does anyone know anything
        > about this? Also, if this is such a small panel and can have this effect,
        >what will happen if people use these panels to power cells, computer back
        >packs and even bigger things like solar panels in their homes? Don't we
        >have enough health problems already? Concerned, Evelyn All-new
        >Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

      • Paul Archer
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6, 2006
          And keep in mind that this thing is blowing air *out* of your car, so any
          air that passes through it is immediately vented to the outside.

          Paul

          2:17pm, Roy Holder wrote:

          > Probably because there is a tiny amount of lead in some part of it.
          > California requires that on any product that contains lead that is marketed
          > or sold in that state.
          >

          > At 12:06 PM 9/6/2006 -0700, evelyn sardina wrote:
          >> car and noticed when I opened the box it specified that that product
          >> has been found to cause birth defects of sort and or could harm the
          >> chances of comception. Needless to say I am mortified by this. If this is
          >> the case why would people put this in their cars? Does anyone know anything
          >> about this? Also, if this is such a small panel and can have this effect,
          >> what will happen if people use these panels to power cells, computer back
          >> packs and even bigger things like solar panels in their homes? Don't we
          >> have enough health problems already? Concerned, Evelyn All-new
          >> Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

          "Bush: One of the Worst Disasters To Hit The U.S."
          ----------headline on Sky News Ireland------------
        • Kevin Conlin
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6, 2006

            You’re not in any danger, Evelyn, but I would be curious as to how well it works.  I know it doesn’t work as well as the ads claim, but would be curious about your experience.  The problem is the solar panel is so small compared to the window area of the vehicle that it has no chance of keeping up.  Keep us posted.

            ________________________

            Kevin Conlin
            Solarcraft, Inc.
            13130 Stafford Road, Suite 125
            Stafford ,TX 77477-4536
            (281)495-0438
            fax (281)495-0440
            kconlin@...
            www.solarcraft.net

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 6, 2006
              I wonder where the cool air is coming from?  If it is venting the hot air out where is the air intake?

              John Miggins
              Harvest Solar & Wind Power
              "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
              www.harvest-energy.com
              Phone/Fax 918-743-2299

              ____________ _________ ___

              kconlin@solarcraft. net
              www.solarcraft. net

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 6, 2006
                the cool air is coming from your soffit vents

                believed to be clean.
              • Todd
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 6, 2006
                  I bought one of these back in the late '80s or early '90s. Big waste
                  of money. Think about how fast the inside of your car/truck heats up
                  in the summer sun. How many cubic feet of hot air are in your car?
                  What is the cfm of the fan?

                  Bottom line, yes it moves some air. But, the car is heating up the
                  air faster than this solar fan can pump it out.

                  Maybe the new ones have a higher speed fan and greater cfm... but I
                  wouldn't hold my breath on it.

                  It looked great on paper!

                  Todd