Gates

  • Garth & Kim Travis
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2006

      I am looking for options on a main entrance gate, the kind you drive
      through. It needs to be dog proof and have a solar automatic
      opener. I must be able to open it from a vehicle or from the
      house, 300 feet away. Pretty is nice, but not worth more
      money. Function is the priority. Any information on products that
      will fulfill these parameters will be greatly appreciated.

      Bright Blessings,
      Kim
    • Steven Deterling
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2006
        We have one of these that we put on our house when we moved in (around January).
        Ours is actually powered by a marine battery. We have it plugged into the house circuit, since the solar charger was extra. The solar panel just helps keep the battery charged. If you get one installed through a contractor, it will probably run you about $1500 or more. If you already have the fence and gate up, that is. If you need to install the fence and/or gate, it will be more of course.

        The opener has to be welded to the fence and gate, so plan for that as well. We managed to find a "will drive to your house and weld anything" person in the yellow pages, for a reasonable cost.

        A friend of ours had an account at a steel/fence place, so we got all the components for a good price. The parts ran about $600. Not counting welding costs. I can try and put together a parts list for you, if you like, this weekend.

        I doubt you are going to find a remote that works 300 feet away, though. Ours is only good up to about 100 feet away. 300 feet is a long way!

        Steve
        rocketman1@...

        Stop the Forest Service from killing more wolves, bears, cougars, and other animals in the wild:
        http://go.care2.com/99055

        http://www.Care2.com Free e-mail. 100MB storage. Helps nonprofits.
      • John Miggins
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2006
          The patriot solar gate openers are nice, they are made in the USA and carry a 5 year warranty.
          gates can be custom fabed or bought locally, you can put smaller wire on the bottom portion of the gate to keep dogs from getting through

          they do have wireless activation but not sure it that will reach 300 feet away.  we have installed several of them and like them.
          contact us offline for a quote or check out the website below.

          they work with single swing gates up to 500 lbs.

          John Miggins
          Harvest Solar & Wind Power
          "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
          www.harvest-energy.com
          Phone/Fax 918-743-2299

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2006
            Thank you, a parts list would be wonderful. We do not use
            contractors, it is too hard to find decent ones out here in the
            boonies. However, we do have a very good welder that is mobile, we
            have used him before.
            Perhaps we can find an opener that works on both remote and hard
            wire, then run the hard wire to the house. Or perhaps combine it
            with an intercom, which would be great and if I have to hard wire anyway.....
            Bright Blessings,
            Kim