RE: [hreg] Free energy

  • Robert Johnston
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2006

      Yes, I saw their ad in the Economist this weekend and looked up their website out of curiosity.  They claim to produce energy by simply spinning magnets.  What a scam!  The sad thing is that they appear to be a legitimate company, so they are probably destroying their reputation through ignorance.  Sometimes—as we’ve witnessed on the HREG discussion board—wishful thinking trumps (temporarily) science, and people put energy and resources into the pursuit of the impossible.  Steorn appears to be doing the same, and will probably take the money of scientifically illiterate investors with them.  The ad suggests that only those who break the rules make progress in science.  The truth is that the rules are seldom broken, and most of the time, people who try to break the rules end up proving once again that the rules work.  It can be an expensive lesson.

      An interesting history of free energy or perpetual motion machines can be found at:  http://www.phact.org/e/dennis4.html.  One of the listings is for a device that sounds quite a bit like Steorn’s, as was pointed out by a participant on Steorn’s discussion forum.  The Lutec magnetic engine was claimed to produce more power than it consumed.  http://www.lutec.com.au/how.htm  However, it was shown that the inventors had a misunderstanding of power measurement principles.  http://www.phact.org/e/z/lutec.pdf  This didn’t stop them from soliciting money from people.

      Some readers of the HREG discussion board may be interested to read the comments at http://www.phact.org/e/dennis4.html about the history of O2/H2 separation from water to power cars.

      Robert Johnston