Re: Request for speakers & Free stuff

  • ninalynn62
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22 7:07 AM
      -I teach a 4th/5th grade class in galveston...and this year am going
      to be doing a lot of work on renewable forms of energy/alternative
      forms of energy and concentrating on solar...with the use of a grant I
      got for my classroom...I too would be very interested in having a
      speaker come out and talk to my class...the culmination of our project
      is for my class to draw up a viable plan for solar panels for our
      school.... so that perhaps in the future we can apply for grants to
      buy them...I would also like to take my students on a field trip so
      see some places that have solar panels already in place....if anyone
      has any speaker suggestions or places they would suggest that would
      give the kids a good view of solar panels...please let me know...
      thanks so much
    • Greg Myers
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 22 6:23 PM
        Nina,

        For the Field Trip in the Houston area, hands down, I suggest Sheldon Lake
        State Park & Environmental Learning Center :

        http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/sheldon_lake/fieldtrip.phtml

        Texas Parks & Wildlife has spent about $2.5M on this park recently. They
        have made over this park into a renewable energy showcase with a Renewable
        energy demonstration area. Installed last year includes:

        -Solar Tracking Array (approx 1 KW installed by Meridian Solar)
        -Solar Non-Tracking Array (approx 1.2KW installed by Meridian Solar)
        -Wind Generator (installed by West TAMU)
        -Passive Solar Hot Water Heater
        -Geothermal HVAC System for a classroom & lab buildings.
        -SMA Sunnyboy Grid Tie Inverters
        -SMA Windyboy Grid Tie Inverter

        The tracking solar array has a manual overide and large dial wattmeter so
        you can point it
        any direction & see what happens to production.

        You can monitor production from these systems as well as much other data at
        the following
        web site:

        http://chuck-wright.com/wcsd/display/frametop.php?site=sheldon

        Also, in case you did not know, Texas State Energy Conservation Office has
        Lesson Plans for Grades 4 through High School at:

        http://www.infinitepower.org/lessonplans.htm

        Feel free to call me to discuss further.

        Greg Myers
        Gulfcoast Solar & Wind
        1909 Oak Hollow Dr. East
        Pearland, TX 77581