Re: [hreg] Request for speakers & Free stuff

  • JOHN GARDNER
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22, 2006
      Mike,
      I could talk to the teacher at Cy fair school if you could give me the phone number.
      Thanks,
      John
      ps: How do w get in the new Environmental directory for Houston?

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 22, 2006
        -I teach a 4th/5th grade class in galveston...and this year am going
        to be doing a lot of work on renewable forms of energy/alternative
        forms of energy and concentrating on solar...with the use of a grant I
        got for my classroom...I too would be very interested in having a
        speaker come out and talk to my class...the culmination of our project
        is for my class to draw up a viable plan for solar panels for our
        school.... so that perhaps in the future we can apply for grants to
        buy them...I would also like to take my students on a field trip so
        see some places that have solar panels already in place....if anyone
        has any speaker suggestions or places they would suggest that would
        give the kids a good view of solar panels...please let me know...
        thanks so much
      • Greg Myers
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 22, 2006
          Nina,

          For the Field Trip in the Houston area, hands down, I suggest Sheldon Lake
          State Park & Environmental Learning Center :

          http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/sheldon_lake/fieldtrip.phtml

          Texas Parks & Wildlife has spent about $2.5M on this park recently. They
          have made over this park into a renewable energy showcase with a Renewable
          energy demonstration area. Installed last year includes:

          -Solar Tracking Array (approx 1 KW installed by Meridian Solar)
          -Solar Non-Tracking Array (approx 1.2KW installed by Meridian Solar)
          -Wind Generator (installed by West TAMU)
          -Passive Solar Hot Water Heater
          -Geothermal HVAC System for a classroom & lab buildings.
          -SMA Sunnyboy Grid Tie Inverters
          -SMA Windyboy Grid Tie Inverter

          The tracking solar array has a manual overide and large dial wattmeter so
          you can point it
          any direction & see what happens to production.

          You can monitor production from these systems as well as much other data at
          the following
          web site:

          http://chuck-wright.com/wcsd/display/frametop.php?site=sheldon

          Also, in case you did not know, Texas State Energy Conservation Office has
          Lesson Plans for Grades 4 through High School at:

          http://www.infinitepower.org/lessonplans.htm

          Feel free to call me to discuss further.

          Greg Myers
          Gulfcoast Solar & Wind
          1909 Oak Hollow Dr. East
          Pearland, TX 77581