Solar recharge of plug-in hybrids?

  • Peter Wang
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2006
      Now that Toyota has announced that it will eventually offer plug-in
      hybrids, I've thought about capturing electricity via PV panels during
      the day, then hooking up that bank of batteries to a plug-in hybrid at
      night... hopefully directly feeding the solar-charged batteries into
      the vehicle batteries, or through a DC-AC power inverter if necessary
      (last resort; inefficient).

      Since I don't have a hybrid of any kind, plug-in or not, I'm a bit at
      a loss for the scale of the operation. How many Amp-Hours does the
      battery pack of a plug-in hybrid hold? That will govern how many Amp-
      Hours of solar chargeable battery will be required, which will govern
      how many square feet of PV will be required, factoring in the losses
      from stage to stage.

      And the Prius uses a 107 volt DC battery pack, right? That'll give you
      a jolt.