RE: [hreg] solar fridges

  • Ewert, Mike
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2000
      Yes, the Europeans are building several refrigerator/freezers for the
      International Space Station which use thermoelectric cooling devices and
      vacuum panel insulation. There will be 3 on board at a time in the
      Habitation module, which will arrive in 2005. Until then, the crew will eat
      thermo-stabilized, dried and canned food.

      The Space Station refrigerator will indeed be solar powered because the
      whole Space Station is solar powered. Here is one link with a little
      information about the power system.
      http://space-power.grc.nasa.gov/spacedir/lerc-eps.html