RE: [hreg] solar fridges

  • Ewert, Mike
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2000
      Yes, the technology can be applied to freezers as well as refrigerators.
      However, Solus, the company which is commercializing the solar refrigerator
      has not produced any freezers for sale yet.

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2000
        Yes, the Europeans are building several refrigerator/freezers for the
        International Space Station which use thermoelectric cooling devices and
        vacuum panel insulation. There will be 3 on board at a time in the
        Habitation module, which will arrive in 2005. Until then, the crew will eat
        thermo-stabilized, dried and canned food.

        The Space Station refrigerator will indeed be solar powered because the
        whole Space Station is solar powered. Here is one link with a little
        information about the power system.
        http://space-power.grc.nasa.gov/spacedir/lerc-eps.html

        Is the space station refrigerator functionality based on thermoelectric heat
        pump while utilizing vacuum panel technology for insulation?
        Chris Mendell