Solar subsidies in Texas?

  • alammey@HoustonEnergyAnalyst.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
      Does anyone with HREG know if the State of Texas offers any sort of subsidy or grant
      to business owners (who use a lot of electricity) to install rather expensive solar technology, such as solar roofing or panels? I know they were offering some generous rebates on very expensive high efficiency lightbulbs a few years ago, but I'm curious if there are any solar incentives these days?
      I'm sure I could get some info from the Texas PUC on this, but before I make the call to them, I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on this subject? Any insight or direction would be greatly appreciated.

      Many thanks,
      Alan Lammey

      Alan M. Lammey
      Energy Analyst & Consultant
      Website: www.HoustonEnergyAnalyst.com
      Ph: 281-658-0395
    • Kevin Conlin
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006

        Hi Alan,  None exist except for the property tax exemption.  Austin Energy has the best rebate program, but the State of Texas does not offer anything that I am aware of.

        ________________________

        Kevin Conlin
        Solarcraft, Inc.
        13130 Stafford Road, Suite 125
        Stafford ,TX 77477-4536
        (281)495-0438
        fax (281)495-0440
        kconlin@...
        www.solarcraft.net

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
          I haven't seen any discussion on this and would like to read your
          comments on the following:

          www.designnews.com/article/CA6294752.html?

          www.energylan.sandia.gov/sunlab/pdfs/boeing.pdf

          www.joycedayton.com/application/pdf/stirling_cs10-21.pdf

          Alex Aguirre
        • Henry H Haynes
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
            But, there are no incentives for non-commercial home owners, right?

            Henry

            Edward Kramer <onekindr@...> wrote:
            Alan,

              The state does not have an incentive plan, city of Austin has the best plan available . The federal govt has a 30% income tax credit and 5 year accelerated depreciation rate of such system  which are set to expire at the end of 2007.. If you did the total, you can expect aound a 45% credit to help pay for the sytem. The Fed govt is begging business's to invest in solar, but Houston is a dead market because of 10 cent coal electricity 3 year contracts from Gexa, maybe 3-5 years from now.Cash savings from grid tied buyback from utulity would give you a payback timeframe. You can check www.dsireusa. org for detailed summary of Texas policy and local & federal incentives

            Ed Kramer

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
              Alan,