Re: [hreg] Heat, Cycling, Sweating

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2 12:27 PM
      Thanks. i'm just learning how to do that.

      At 02:09 PM 8/2/2006, you wrote:
      >Amen. I can address this with some genuine professional
      >expertise. I always advocate
      >getting away from the term "re-hydrate" and instead use
      >"PRE-hydrate". If one feels
      >thirsty during/after exercise, sweating in the heat, etc, there is
      >already a significant
      >degree of dehydration. Don't get me started on heat prostration,
      >heat cramps, and
      >worse. If one will be generating sweat in the heat, one must drink
      >a lot BEFORE the
      >exercise or whatever. Gatorade is a bit too concentrated; best if
      >slightly diluted with
      >water. Jim is right on keeping the urine almost clear. If, on the
      >other hand, urine is
      >dark and scant, hydration and cooling may be needed very urgently.
      >
      >Ariel
      >- We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one
      >another, since otherwise
      >there is NO ONE who will help.
      >- All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic energy policy. Think
      >ahead 7 generations.
      >------------------------------------
      >
      > > Speaking as a road cyclist for the last 35 years, I would like to
      > suggest that you
      > > probably are not nearly hydrated enough all the time. When you
      > ride it is made
      > > apparent. Get into the habit of drinking enough water (a third
      > of a gallon dailyif
      > > you spend much time outdoors) each day so that your urine is
      > nearly clear. You will
      > > discover other positive changes in your biological systems by
      > keeping your cells
      > > properly saturated. If you awaken in the morning thirsty, you are
      > about right. Water
      > > should taste as good as coffee. As for careless or rude drivers,
      > a smile and a wave to
      > > them will go a long way toward fostering good will, at least with
      > the non-rednecks.
      > > Jim Duncan

      Nan Hildreth, Houston 713-842-6643
      3939 Luca St., Houston, Tx 77021

      If we attempt to ... do things ... for the world without deepening
      our own self-understanding, ... freedom, integrity, and capacity to
      love, we will not have anything to give to others. We will
      communicate nothing but our own obsessions, our aggressiveness, our
      ego-centered ambitions; Thomas Merton quoted in Soul of a
      Citizen by Paul Rogat Loeb
    • Nan Hildreth
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2 12:29 PM
        What a joke! Energy's been so cheap we need lessons in how to exercise.

      • Ariel Thomann
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2 6:00 PM
          Back to the stinky department. I was driving past a hospital a couple of hours ago, and
          spotted a medical supply store. I picked up for $ 6.95 each, two 8-packs (each about 1
          x 4 x 8 inches) of "Comfort Personal Cleansing Bath Ultra-Thick premoistened washcloths
          ('disposable washcloths')". Made by Sage Products, Inc. [ www.sageproducts.com ].

          It seems that cooling off until stop sweating, then do one of these, then some
          deodorant, might suffice.

          Ariel
          there is NO ONE who will help.