Heat, Cycling, Sweating

  • Ariel Thomann
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
      Amen. I can address this with some genuine professional expertise. I always advocate
      getting away from the term "re-hydrate" and instead use "PRE-hydrate". If one feels
      thirsty during/after exercise, sweating in the heat, etc, there is already a significant
      degree of dehydration. Don't get me started on heat prostration, heat cramps, and
      worse. If one will be generating sweat in the heat, one must drink a lot BEFORE the
      exercise or whatever. Gatorade is a bit too concentrated; best if slightly diluted with
      water. Jim is right on keeping the urine almost clear. If, on the other hand, urine is
      dark and scant, hydration and cooling may be needed very urgently.

      Ariel
      there is NO ONE who will help.
      ------------------------------------

      > Speaking as a road cyclist for the last 35 years, I would like to suggest that you
      > probably are not nearly hydrated enough all the time. When you ride it is made
      > apparent. Get into the habit of drinking enough water (a third of a gallon dailyif
      > you spend much time outdoors) each day so that your urine is nearly clear. You will
      > discover other positive changes in your biological systems by keeping your cells
      > properly saturated. If you awaken in the morning thirsty, you are about right. Water
      > should taste as good as coffee. As for careless or rude drivers, a smile and a wave to
      > them will go a long way toward fostering good will, at least with the non-rednecks.
      > Jim Duncan

    • Nan Hildreth
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
        Thanks. i'm just learning how to do that.

        At 02:09 PM 8/2/2006, you wrote:
        >Amen. I can address this with some genuine professional
        >expertise. I always advocate
        >getting away from the term "re-hydrate" and instead use
        >"PRE-hydrate". If one feels
        >thirsty during/after exercise, sweating in the heat, etc, there is
        >already a significant
        >degree of dehydration. Don't get me started on heat prostration,
        >heat cramps, and
        >worse. If one will be generating sweat in the heat, one must drink
        >a lot BEFORE the
        >exercise or whatever. Gatorade is a bit too concentrated; best if
        >slightly diluted with
        >water. Jim is right on keeping the urine almost clear. If, on the
        >other hand, urine is
        >dark and scant, hydration and cooling may be needed very urgently.
        >
        >Ariel
        >- We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one
        >another, since otherwise
        >there is NO ONE who will help.
        >- All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic energy policy. Think
        >ahead 7 generations.
        >------------------------------------
        >
        > > Speaking as a road cyclist for the last 35 years, I would like to
        > suggest that you
        > > probably are not nearly hydrated enough all the time. When you
        > ride it is made
        > > apparent. Get into the habit of drinking enough water (a third
        > of a gallon dailyif
        > > you spend much time outdoors) each day so that your urine is
        > nearly clear. You will
        > > discover other positive changes in your biological systems by
        > keeping your cells
        > > properly saturated. If you awaken in the morning thirsty, you are
        > about right. Water
        > > should taste as good as coffee. As for careless or rude drivers,
        > a smile and a wave to
        > > them will go a long way toward fostering good will, at least with
        > the non-rednecks.
        > > Jim Duncan

        Nan Hildreth, Houston 713-842-6643
        3939 Luca St., Houston, Tx 77021

        If we attempt to ... do things ... for the world without deepening
        our own self-understanding, ... freedom, integrity, and capacity to
        love, we will not have anything to give to others. We will
        communicate nothing but our own obsessions, our aggressiveness, our
        ego-centered ambitions; Thomas Merton quoted in Soul of a
        Citizen by Paul Rogat Loeb
      • Nan Hildreth
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
          What a joke! Energy's been so cheap we need lessons in how to exercise.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
            Back to the stinky department. I was driving past a hospital a couple of hours ago, and
            spotted a medical supply store. I picked up for $ 6.95 each, two 8-packs (each about 1
            x 4 x 8 inches) of "Comfort Personal Cleansing Bath Ultra-Thick premoistened washcloths
            ('disposable washcloths')". Made by Sage Products, Inc. [ www.sageproducts.com ].

            It seems that cooling off until stop sweating, then do one of these, then some
            deodorant, might suffice.

            Ariel
            there is NO ONE who will help.