Re: [hreg] hreg meeting feedback

  • Steven Shepard
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
      How much?

      Steve

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Paul Archer
      Sent: Aug 2, 2006 10:14 AM
      To: hreg
      Subject: Re: [hreg] hreg meeting feedback

      I think that's an issue for a lot of people in Houston. (That, and the heat,
      and the relatively long distances most of us have between home and work.)
      I'm fortunate to work at a large enough place (Baylor College of Medicine
      in the Medical Center) and have a good route to work (the bayou runs a mile
      north of home and takes me the other 8 1/2 miles to the Med Center). But
      even then the heat kicks my a** during the summer if I bike. Hell, it's too
      hot for my motorcycle, even. (BTW, anyone wanna buy a Kawasaki EX500?)

      Paul

      7:59am, evelyn sardina wrote:

      > I wonder if you guys have showers at your destination points? I would stink to high
      > heaven if I cycled and then went to work!

      witzelsucht (vit'sel-zoocht) [Ger.]
      "A mental condition characteristic of frontal lobe lesions
      and marked by the making of poor jokes and puns and
      the telling of pointless stories, at which
      the patient himself is intensely amused."
      From Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary, 26th edition.

      SBT Designs
      25581 IH-10 West
      San Antonio, Texas 78257
      (210) 698-7109
      www.sbtdesigns.com
    • Ariel Thomann
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
        I hear they use baby wipes; probably best to get the "adult size" or whatever, I used
        them to "bathe" myself at St. Luke Hospital (or Methodist?) after major surgery. They
        are probably available at hospital supply stores.

        Ariel
        there is NO ONE who will help.
      • Ariel Thomann
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
          Amen. I can address this with some genuine professional expertise. I always advocate
          getting away from the term "re-hydrate" and instead use "PRE-hydrate". If one feels
          thirsty during/after exercise, sweating in the heat, etc, there is already a significant
          degree of dehydration. Don't get me started on heat prostration, heat cramps, and
          worse. If one will be generating sweat in the heat, one must drink a lot BEFORE the
          exercise or whatever. Gatorade is a bit too concentrated; best if slightly diluted with
          water. Jim is right on keeping the urine almost clear. If, on the other hand, urine is
          dark and scant, hydration and cooling may be needed very urgently.

          Ariel
          there is NO ONE who will help.
          ------------------------------------

          > Speaking as a road cyclist for the last 35 years, I would like to suggest that you
          > probably are not nearly hydrated enough all the time. When you ride it is made
          > apparent. Get into the habit of drinking enough water (a third of a gallon dailyif
          > you spend much time outdoors) each day so that your urine is nearly clear. You will
          > discover other positive changes in your biological systems by keeping your cells
          > properly saturated. If you awaken in the morning thirsty, you are about right. Water
          > should taste as good as coffee. As for careless or rude drivers, a smile and a wave to
          > them will go a long way toward fostering good will, at least with the non-rednecks.
          > Jim Duncan

        • Nan Hildreth
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
            Thanks. i'm just learning how to do that.

            At 02:09 PM 8/2/2006, you wrote:
            >Amen. I can address this with some genuine professional
            >expertise. I always advocate
            >getting away from the term "re-hydrate" and instead use
            >"PRE-hydrate". If one feels
            >thirsty during/after exercise, sweating in the heat, etc, there is
            >already a significant
            >degree of dehydration. Don't get me started on heat prostration,
            >heat cramps, and
            >worse. If one will be generating sweat in the heat, one must drink
            >a lot BEFORE the
            >exercise or whatever. Gatorade is a bit too concentrated; best if
            >slightly diluted with
            >water. Jim is right on keeping the urine almost clear. If, on the
            >other hand, urine is
            >dark and scant, hydration and cooling may be needed very urgently.
            >
            >Ariel
            >- We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one
            >another, since otherwise
            >there is NO ONE who will help.
            >- All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic energy policy. Think
            >ahead 7 generations.
            >------------------------------------
            >
            > > Speaking as a road cyclist for the last 35 years, I would like to
            > suggest that you
            > > probably are not nearly hydrated enough all the time. When you
            > ride it is made
            > > apparent. Get into the habit of drinking enough water (a third
            > of a gallon dailyif
            > > you spend much time outdoors) each day so that your urine is
            > nearly clear. You will
            > > discover other positive changes in your biological systems by
            > keeping your cells
            > > properly saturated. If you awaken in the morning thirsty, you are
            > about right. Water
            > > should taste as good as coffee. As for careless or rude drivers,
            > a smile and a wave to
            > > them will go a long way toward fostering good will, at least with
            > the non-rednecks.
            > > Jim Duncan

            Nan Hildreth, Houston 713-842-6643
            3939 Luca St., Houston, Tx 77021

            If we attempt to ... do things ... for the world without deepening
            our own self-understanding, ... freedom, integrity, and capacity to
            love, we will not have anything to give to others. We will
            communicate nothing but our own obsessions, our aggressiveness, our
            ego-centered ambitions; Thomas Merton quoted in Soul of a
            Citizen by Paul Rogat Loeb
          • Nan Hildreth
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
              What a joke! Energy's been so cheap we need lessons in how to exercise.

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
                Back to the stinky department. I was driving past a hospital a couple of hours ago, and
                spotted a medical supply store. I picked up for $ 6.95 each, two 8-packs (each about 1
                x 4 x 8 inches) of "Comfort Personal Cleansing Bath Ultra-Thick premoistened washcloths
                ('disposable washcloths')". Made by Sage Products, Inc. [ www.sageproducts.com ].

                It seems that cooling off until stop sweating, then do one of these, then some
                deodorant, might suffice.

                Ariel
                there is NO ONE who will help.