Re: [hreg] hreg meeting feedback

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2 8:14 AM
      I think that's an issue for a lot of people in Houston. (That, and the heat,
      and the relatively long distances most of us have between home and work.)
      I'm fortunate to work at a large enough place (Baylor College of Medicine
      in the Medical Center) and have a good route to work (the bayou runs a mile
      north of home and takes me the other 8 1/2 miles to the Med Center). But
      even then the heat kicks my a** during the summer if I bike. Hell, it's too
      hot for my motorcycle, even. (BTW, anyone wanna buy a Kawasaki EX500?)

      Paul

      7:59am, evelyn sardina wrote:

      > I wonder if you guys have showers at your destination points? I would stink to high
      > heaven if I cycled and then went to work!

      witzelsucht (vit'sel-zoocht) [Ger.]
      "A mental condition characteristic of frontal lobe lesions
      and marked by the making of poor jokes and puns and
      the telling of pointless stories, at which
      the patient himself is intensely amused."
      From Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary, 26th edition.
    • Garth & Kim Travis
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2 8:21 AM
        Greetings,
        While fresh sweat is not too offensive, your email reminded me of my days at U of Alberta and some of the students that did cycle year round.  At one point, we made one of the students stand out in the hall for lectures, he was so offensive.  Generally a full change of clothes and being clean before starting your trek will suffice.  Just don't start skipping showers!, <grin>
        Bright Blessings,
        Kim

        At 09:59 AM 8/2/2006, you wrote:
        I wonder if you guys have showers at your destination points? I would stink to high
        heaven if I cycled and then went to work!

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Jim & Janet
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2 9:11 AM
          Speaking as a road cyclist for the last 35 years, I would like to suggest that you probably are not nearly hydrated enough all the time. When you ride it is made apparent.
          Get into the habit of drinking enough water (a third of a gallon dailyif you spend much time outdoors) each day so that your urine is nearly clear. You will discover other positive changes in your biological systems by keeping your cells properly saturated. If you awaken in the morning thirsty, you are about right. Water should taste as good as coffee.
          As for careless or rude drivers, a smile and a wave to them will go a long way toward fostering good will, at least with the non-rednecks.
          Jim Duncan

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2 11:02 AM
            How much?

            Steve

            7:59am, evelyn sardina wrote:

            > I wonder if you guys have showers at your destination points? I would stink to high
            > heaven if I cycled and then went to work!

            witzelsucht (vit'sel-zoocht) [Ger.]
            "A mental condition characteristic of frontal lobe lesions
            and marked by the making of poor jokes and puns and
            the telling of pointless stories, at which
            the patient himself is intensely amused."
            From Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary, 26th edition.

            SBT Designs
            25581 IH-10 West
            San Antonio, Texas 78257
            (210) 698-7109
            www.sbtdesigns.com
          • Ariel Thomann
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2 12:00 PM
              I hear they use baby wipes; probably best to get the "adult size" or whatever, I used
              them to "bathe" myself at St. Luke Hospital (or Methodist?) after major surgery. They
              are probably available at hospital supply stores.

              Ariel
              there is NO ONE who will help.
            • Ariel Thomann
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2 12:09 PM
                Amen. I can address this with some genuine professional expertise. I always advocate
                getting away from the term "re-hydrate" and instead use "PRE-hydrate". If one feels
                thirsty during/after exercise, sweating in the heat, etc, there is already a significant
                degree of dehydration. Don't get me started on heat prostration, heat cramps, and
                worse. If one will be generating sweat in the heat, one must drink a lot BEFORE the
                exercise or whatever. Gatorade is a bit too concentrated; best if slightly diluted with
                water. Jim is right on keeping the urine almost clear. If, on the other hand, urine is
                dark and scant, hydration and cooling may be needed very urgently.

                Ariel
                there is NO ONE who will help.
                ------------------------------------

                > Speaking as a road cyclist for the last 35 years, I would like to suggest that you
                > probably are not nearly hydrated enough all the time. When you ride it is made
                > apparent. Get into the habit of drinking enough water (a third of a gallon dailyif
                > you spend much time outdoors) each day so that your urine is nearly clear. You will
                > discover other positive changes in your biological systems by keeping your cells
                > properly saturated. If you awaken in the morning thirsty, you are about right. Water
                > should taste as good as coffee. As for careless or rude drivers, a smile and a wave to
                > them will go a long way toward fostering good will, at least with the non-rednecks.
                > Jim Duncan

              • Nan Hildreth
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2 12:27 PM
                  Thanks. i'm just learning how to do that.

                  At 02:09 PM 8/2/2006, you wrote:
                  >Amen. I can address this with some genuine professional
                  >expertise. I always advocate
                  >getting away from the term "re-hydrate" and instead use
                  >"PRE-hydrate". If one feels
                  >thirsty during/after exercise, sweating in the heat, etc, there is
                  >already a significant
                  >degree of dehydration. Don't get me started on heat prostration,
                  >heat cramps, and
                  >worse. If one will be generating sweat in the heat, one must drink
                  >a lot BEFORE the
                  >exercise or whatever. Gatorade is a bit too concentrated; best if
                  >slightly diluted with
                  >water. Jim is right on keeping the urine almost clear. If, on the
                  >other hand, urine is
                  >dark and scant, hydration and cooling may be needed very urgently.
                  >
                  >Ariel
                  >- We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one
                  >another, since otherwise
                  >there is NO ONE who will help.
                  >- All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic energy policy. Think
                  >ahead 7 generations.
                  >------------------------------------
                  >
                  > > Speaking as a road cyclist for the last 35 years, I would like to
                  > suggest that you
                  > > probably are not nearly hydrated enough all the time. When you
                  > ride it is made
                  > > apparent. Get into the habit of drinking enough water (a third
                  > of a gallon dailyif
                  > > you spend much time outdoors) each day so that your urine is
                  > nearly clear. You will
                  > > discover other positive changes in your biological systems by
                  > keeping your cells
                  > > properly saturated. If you awaken in the morning thirsty, you are
                  > about right. Water
                  > > should taste as good as coffee. As for careless or rude drivers,
                  > a smile and a wave to
                  > > them will go a long way toward fostering good will, at least with
                  > the non-rednecks.
                  > > Jim Duncan

                  Nan Hildreth, Houston 713-842-6643
                  3939 Luca St., Houston, Tx 77021

                  If we attempt to ... do things ... for the world without deepening
                  our own self-understanding, ... freedom, integrity, and capacity to
                  love, we will not have anything to give to others. We will
                  communicate nothing but our own obsessions, our aggressiveness, our
                  ego-centered ambitions; Thomas Merton quoted in Soul of a
                  Citizen by Paul Rogat Loeb
                • Nan Hildreth
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2 12:29 PM
                    What a joke! Energy's been so cheap we need lessons in how to exercise.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 2 6:00 PM
                      Back to the stinky department. I was driving past a hospital a couple of hours ago, and
                      spotted a medical supply store. I picked up for $ 6.95 each, two 8-packs (each about 1
                      x 4 x 8 inches) of "Comfort Personal Cleansing Bath Ultra-Thick premoistened washcloths
                      ('disposable washcloths')". Made by Sage Products, Inc. [ www.sageproducts.com ].

                      It seems that cooling off until stop sweating, then do one of these, then some
                      deodorant, might suffice.

                      Ariel
                      there is NO ONE who will help.