RE: [HoustonPeakOil] Re: [hreg] What is holding back American car companies?

  • Israel Palacios
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 2, 2006

      There is an unofficial electronic archive for KPFT or at least there used to be.  It can be found by googling KPFT.

      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 2, 2006
        2:40pm, blpasemann wrote:

        > Interesting article today, that Toyota is now the #2 automaker. I
        > feel there is an underlying reason car dealers are willing to keep
        > losing money and marketshare to keep promoting gas gusseling vehicles,
        > while Honda and Toyota and kicking their butt with hybrids and fuel
        > economy. Don't they see this?? I feel the oil companies, government
        > and car makers are all in this together, but while oil companies are
        > making record profits, car dealers are losing lots of money and may
        > not recover. I want to know what other think and if they have some
        > reasons why this is happening. I personally have driven fords most of
        > my life, but I will NOT by a Ford again or an American car. I really
        > want to a prius or what I will probably do is build an electric car or
        > biodiesel. Just wanted to put this out there and see what you guys think.

        I don't know for sure, but I would guess that part of what you (we) are
        seeing is due to the lag from concept to market that auto makers go through.
        It typically takes several years for a manufacturer to design and implement
        something new. I don't know how long, but I'd guess between 3-5 years,
        depending on how much is new vs how much has already been designed.
        (Consider an all-new vehicle vs a new body on an existing chassis.)
        Think about the Dodge Magnum, a big, gas-guzzling beast available with a
        300HP (or so) engine. It came out about a year or so ago. It was probably in
        the works before W. became President.

        Honda and Toyota have traditionally made smaller vehicles, so were probably
        in a much better position from the start to offer more fuel-efficient cars
        and take advantage of today's higher gas prices.

        Paul
      • Ariel Thomann
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 2, 2006
          Save your pennies and put your name down; the plug-ins (Prius and others) are around the
          corner.

          Ariel
          there is NO ONE who will help.
          ------------------------------------

        • Ariel Thomann
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 2, 2006
            Just think, during WW-II the aircraft companies could design, test, tool up, and mass
            produce fighter planes sometimes in a matter of months...

            Ariel
            there is NO ONE who will help.
            ------------------------------------

            > 2:40pm, blpasemann wrote:
            >
            >> Interesting article today, that Toyota is now the #2 automaker. I feel there is an
            >> underlying reason car dealers are willing to keep losing money and marketshare to
            >> keep promoting gas gusseling vehicles, while Honda and Toyota and kicking their butt
            >> with hybrids and fuel economy. Don't they see this?? I feel the oil companies,
            >> government and car makers are all in this together, but while oil companies are
            >> making record profits, car dealers are losing lots of money and may not recover. I
            >> want to know what other think and if they have some reasons why this is happening.
            >> I personally have driven fords most of my life, but I will NOT by a Ford again or an
            >> American car. I really want to a prius or what I will probably do is build an
            >> electric car or biodiesel. Just wanted to put this out there and see what you guys
            >> think.
            >>

            > I don't know for sure, but I would guess that part of what you (we) are seeing is due
            > to the lag from concept to market that auto makers go through. It typically takes
            > several years for a manufacturer to design and implement something new. I don't know
            > how long, but I'd guess between 3-5 years, depending on how much is new vs how much
            > has already been designed. (Consider an all-new vehicle vs a new body on an existing
            > chassis.) Think about the Dodge Magnum, a big, gas-guzzling beast available with a
            > 300HP (or so) engine. It came out about a year or so ago. It was probably in the
            > works before W. became President.
            >
            > Honda and Toyota have traditionally made smaller vehicles, so were probably in a much
            > better position from the start to offer more fuel-efficient cars and take advantage
            > of today's higher gas prices.
            >
            > Paul
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Bashir Syed
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 2, 2006
              It's the outsourcing to get rid of unions, benefits, health insurance and pensions, which the corporations don't have to worry, and money saved goes to the top of the Pyramid's exorbitant salaries and perks. They got the bad taste of GREED, which has desensitized them to think about the interests of their customers. There are a lot of neat technologies which can be used in todays cars to make them more reliable, but it does suit the interest of the TOP guys at the APEX.

              Bashir A. Syed

              ------------ --------- --------- ------

              > 2:40pm, blpasemann wrote:
              >
              >> Interesting article today, that Toyota is now the #2 automaker. I feel there is an
              >> underlying reason car dealers are willing to keep losing money and marketshare to
              >> keep promoting gas gusseling vehicles, while Honda and Toyota and kicking their butt
              >> with hybrids and fuel economy. Don't they see this?? I feel the oil companies,
              >> government and car makers are all in this together, but while oil companies are
              >> making record profits, car dealers are losing lots of money and may not recover. I
              >> want to know what other think and if they have some reasons why this is happening.
              >> I personally have driven fords most of my life, but I will NOT by a Ford again or an
              >> American car. I really want to a prius or what I will probably do is build an
              >> electric car or biodiesel. Just wanted to put this out there and see what you guys
              >> think.
              >>

              > I don't know for sure, but I would guess that part of what you (we) are seeing is due
              > to the lag from concept to market that auto makers go through. It typically takes
              > several years for a manufacturer to design and implement something new. I don't know
              > how long, but I'd guess between 3-5 years, depending on how much is new vs how much
              > has already been designed. (Consider an all-new vehicle vs a new body on an existing
              > chassis.) Think about the Dodge Magnum, a big, gas-guzzling beast available with a
              > 300HP (or so) engine. It came out about a year or so ago. It was probably in the
              > works before W. became President.
              >
              > Honda and Toyota have traditionally made smaller vehicles, so were probably in a much
              > better position from the start to offer more fuel-efficient cars and take advantage
              > of today's higher gas prices.
              >
              > Paul
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • blpasemann
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 2, 2006
                I have been reading a lot and I read about the car companies not
                wanting to promote hybrids or electric cars. Here's an article from
                the energy bulleting website. This kind of talk from GM will never
                get me to buy one of their products. I read similar things from ford,
                like when they are scaling back there hybrid production quantities
                from earlier statements. I just don't think they want to do it and
                are being paid by big oil.

                GM article:
                Lutz: GM building hybrids for good press
                LeftLane News
                General Motors Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said in an interview this week
                that GM doubts the benefits of hybrids, but must build them to improve
                its public image. "Hybrids are technologically of doubtful benefit,
                and expensive, but necessary from a political and public relations
                point of view," Lutz told Just-Auto. "Toyota has said, economically,
                hybrids make no sense. The reduction in fuel [consumption] does not
                pay for the technological content and cost of the vehicle so therefore
                economically it remains fairly nonsensical, so that's the left-brain
                analytical argument."

                "The right brain is it's the popular thing to do, many people believe
                that if we all drove hybrids the world would suddenly get cooler again
                and then it's the patriotic thing to do because if you drive a hybrid
                you will no longer be funding the Arab terrorists, and so forth."

                "So, with all those beliefs out there, you have to do a hybrid for
                public policy reasons."

                "I don't care how much money you get out but when you've got two
                drivetrains, the sophisticated electronics and a big lithium-ion
                battery, you've got cost."

                Lutz says diesels are also problematic. "The modern diesel is becoming
                more and more expensive as we have to have to gear up to meet Euro 5,
                which is very difficult."

                "Let's not forget, a diesel engine is always going to be more
                expensive than a conventional petrol engine, that's the laws of physics."

                In March, Lutz said GM is most enthusiastic about ethanol. "We think
                running the nation on E85 makes more sense than all the hybrids in the
                world," he said.
                (21 July 2006)

                > I don't know for sure, but I would guess that part of what you (we) are
                > seeing is due to the lag from concept to market that auto makers go
                through.
                > It typically takes several years for a manufacturer to design and
                implement
                > something new. I don't know how long, but I'd guess between 3-5 years,
                > depending on how much is new vs how much has already been designed.
                > (Consider an all-new vehicle vs a new body on an existing chassis.)
                > Think about the Dodge Magnum, a big, gas-guzzling beast available
                with a
                > 300HP (or so) engine. It came out about a year or so ago. It was
                probably in
                > the works before W. became President.
                >
                > Honda and Toyota have traditionally made smaller vehicles, so were
                probably
                > in a much better position from the start to offer more
                fuel-efficient cars
                > and take advantage of today's higher gas prices.
                >
                > Paul

              • Roy Holder
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 2, 2006
                  At 12:54 PM 8/2/2006 -0500, you wrote:
                  >Just think, during WW-II the aircraft companies could design, test, tool
                  up, and mass
                  >produce fighter planes sometimes in a matter of months...

                  P51 tok 13 months to flying prototype(sep39 to may40), in 1940, but did not
                  enter production untill around mid 41.
                  'The Mustang was built for the highest performance with less thought for
                  longevity'
                  Not the kind of product to make payments on for 5 years.

                  P-47 took 11 months to prototype, and another 10 to set up production.

                  both models did not inter combat untill late 43. In reality is was more
                  like years to get a new model out.

                  Car manufactures must go thru the federal government and NTSB safety
                  programs to get certified before they can sell any vehicle with a speed
                  over 45 mph.

                  At national energy conferences, Ive heard quotes of years of paperwork and
                  over 10 mil $ per vehicle (+5 or so crash test units) to get safety
                  certified for highway speeds. That is part of the reason electrics are
                  slowly appearing as NEV's, and new EV manufacturers are nonexistnat.

                  >Ariel
                  >- We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one another,
                  since otherwise
                  >there is NO ONE who will help.
                  >- All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic energy policy. Think ahead 7
                  generations.
                  >------------------------------------
                  >
                  >> 2:40pm, blpasemann wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> Interesting article today, that Toyota is now the #2 automaker. I feel
                  there is an
                  >>> underlying reason car dealers are willing to keep losing money and
                  marketshare to
                  >>> keep promoting gas gusseling vehicles, while Honda and Toyota and
                  kicking their butt
                  >>> with hybrids and fuel economy. Don't they see this?? I feel the oil
                  companies,
                  >>> government and car makers are all in this together, but while oil
                  companies are
                  >>> making record profits, car dealers are losing lots of money and may not
                  recover. I
                  >>> want to know what other think and if they have some reasons why this is
                  happening.
                  >>> I personally have driven fords most of my life, but I will NOT by a
                  Ford again or an
                  >>> American car. I really want to a prius or what I will probably do is
                  build an
                  >>> electric car or biodiesel. Just wanted to put this out there and see
                  what you guys
                  >>> think.
                  >>>

                  >> I don't know for sure, but I would guess that part of what you (we) are
                  seeing is due
                  >> to the lag from concept to market that auto makers go through. It
                  typically takes
                  >> several years for a manufacturer to design and implement something new.
                  I don't know
                  >> how long, but I'd guess between 3-5 years, depending on how much is new
                  vs how much
                  >> has already been designed. (Consider an all-new vehicle vs a new body
                  on an existing
                  >> chassis.) Think about the Dodge Magnum, a big, gas-guzzling beast
                  available with a
                  >> 300HP (or so) engine. It came out about a year or so ago. It was
                  probably in the
                  >> works before W. became President.
                  >>
                  >> Honda and Toyota have traditionally made smaller vehicles, so were
                  probably in a much
                  >> better position from the start to offer more fuel-efficient cars and
                  take advantage
                  >> of today's higher gas prices.
                  >>
                  >> Paul
                  >>

                  >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >>

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Ariel Thomann
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 2, 2006

                    ------------------------------------

                    > > 2:40pm, blpasemann wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> Interesting article today, that Toyota is now the #2 automaker. I feel there is
                    > an underlying reason car dealers are willing to keep losing money and marketshare
                    > to keep promoting gas gusseling vehicles, while Honda and Toyota and kicking
                    > their butt with hybrids and fuel economy. Don't they see this?? I feel the oil
                    > companies, government and car makers are all in this together, but while oil
                    > companies are making record profits, car dealers are losing lots of money and may
                    > not recover. I want to know what other think and if they have some reasons why
                    > this is happening. I personally have driven fords most of my life, but I will NOT
                    > by a Ford again or an American car. I really want to a prius or what I will
                    > probably do is build an electric car or biodiesel. Just wanted to put this out
                    > there and see what you guys think.
                    > >>

                    > > I don't know for sure, but I would guess that part of what you (we) are seeing is
                    > due to the lag from concept to market that auto makers go through. It typically
                    > takes several years for a manufacturer to design and implement something new. I
                    > don't know how long, but I'd guess between 3-5 years, depending on how much is new
                    > vs how much has already been designed. (Consider an all-new vehicle vs a new body
                    > on an existing chassis.) Think about the Dodge Magnum, a big, gas-guzzling beast
                    > available with a 300HP (or so) engine. It came out about a year or so ago. It was
                    > probably in the works before W. became President.
                    > >
                    > > Honda and Toyota have traditionally made smaller vehicles, so were probably in a
                    > much better position from the start to offer more fuel-efficient cars and take
                    > advantage of today's higher gas prices.
                    > >
                    > > Paul
                    > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Randy Scott
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 2, 2006

                      --- Ariel Thomann <ajthomann@...> wrote:

                      > I think it was yesterday afternoon that I heard something on the radio that I can't find
                      > now in the archives of KPFT or KUHF. I was driving, and failed to write down the key
                      > family surname. It was a lengthy discussion of a type of engine devised by someone from
                      > a long family line of tinkerers. I understood it could be either diesel or gasoline,
                      > compatible with hybrid systems, and supposedly far more efficient and cheaper than
                      > anything out there today. But, of course, suppressed by the big players. Did anybody
                      > else catch that program?
                      >
                      > Ariel

                      Petition to challenge Dwayne Bohac to give back dirty money
                      http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/382026427

                      Mark McDavid for Congress - Tx Dist 138
                      http://www.votemcdavid.com/

                      http://randyscott.fortunecity.com/blog/
                    • Julie Hendricks
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 2, 2006

                        I heard part of an extensive piece about Nikola Tesla, a very prolific inventor of the 19th century, yesterday on KPFT around noon time.  I did a quick web search and found the following about an engine design of his.  Maybe this is what you are looking for:

                        http://www.tfcbooks.com/articles/tdt7.htm

                        Julie Hendricks, AIA LEED AP

                        Kirksey
                        6909 Portwest Drive
                        Houston Texas 77024
                        v 713 426 7566
                        f 713 726 7066

                        julieh@...
                        www.kirksey.com

                        ------------ --------- --------- ------

                        > > 2:40pm, blpasemann wrote:
                        > >
                        > >> Interesting article today, that
                        w:st="on">Toyota is now the #2 automaker. I feel there is

                      • Jim & Janet
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 2, 2006
                          Marketplace is an excellent program for Public Radio quality business news.
                          Often the much overlooked business section of your local mewspaper is a very good source of news that does not make it to the local, state or world sections. Let me suggest that everyone start paying closer attention to "business" news.
                          Jim Duncan

                          ------------ --------- --------- ------

                          > > 2:40pm, blpasemann wrote:
                          > >
                          > >> Interesting article today, that Toyota is now the #2 automaker. I feel there is
                          > an underlying reason car dealers are willing to keep losing money and marketshare
                          > to keep promoting gas gusseling vehicles, while Honda and Toyota and kicking
                          > their butt with hybrids and fuel economy. Don't they see this?? I feel the oil
                          > companies, government and car makers are all in this together, but while oil
                          > companies are making record profits, car dealers are losing lots of money and may
                          > not recover. I want to know what other think and if they have some reasons why
                          > this is happening. I personally have driven fords most of my life, but I will NOT
                          > by a Ford again or an American car. I really want to a prius or what I will
                          > probably do is build an electric car or biodiesel. Just wanted to put this out
                          > there and see what you guys think.
                          > >>

                          > > I don't know for sure, but I would guess that part of what you (we) are seeing is
                          > due to the lag from concept to market that auto makers go through. It typically
                          > takes several years for a manufacturer to design and implement something new. I
                          > don't know how long, but I'd guess between 3-5 years, depending on how much is new
                          > vs how much has already been designed. (Consider an all-new vehicle vs a new body
                          > on an existing chassis.) Think about the Dodge Magnum, a big, gas-guzzling beast
                          > available with a 300HP (or so) engine. It came out about a year or so ago. It was
                          > probably in the works before W. became President.
                          > >
                          > > Honda and Toyota have traditionally made smaller vehicles, so were probably in a
                          > much better position from the start to offer more fuel-efficient cars and take
                          > advantage of today's higher gas prices.
                          > >
                          > > Paul
                          > >

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Sean Kaylor
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 2, 2006

                            The engine you are referring to is called a Scuderi split cycle engine designed by the late Carmelo Scuderi.

                            About US auto makers. Isn't it ironic that CAFE standards haven't been raised since the mid-1980's? The US is the only developed nation to actually have an average reduction in automobile fuel efficiency in the past ten years. Why aren't CAFE standards raised? While I would shy away from pointing fingers directly- there is a lot of blame centered around the United Auto Workers and the mid-west politicians. The UAW claimes that raising CAFE standards will jepordize passenger safety because to obtain a more fuel efficient vehicle major weight reductions will have to take place. Also, the UAW and domestic car manufacturing firms fear that raising fuel efficiency standards might give foreign competitors a strategic advantage because, just as was mentioned earlier in this post, Hond and Toyota have been successfully designing, manufacturing, and selling more efficient vehicles for several decades now.

                            It is rather ironic that Ford and GM are losing money hand over fist not simply because they are losing market share in the compact/sub-compact categories, but mainly because their high profit margin SUV and truck categories are having to compete against Toyota and Honda SUV and truck models. Looks like domestic auto production is declining on all fronts which is unfortunate.

                            Sean

                            From: "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@...>
                            To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
                            Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 15:36:05 -0500

                            ------------ --------- --------- ------

                            > > 2:40pm, blpasemann wrote:
                            > >
                            > >> Interesting article today, that Toyota is now the #2 automaker. I feel there is
                            > an underlying reason car dealers are willing to keep losing money and marketshare
                            > to keep promoting gas gusseling vehicles, while Honda and Toyota and kicking
                            > their butt with hybrids and fuel economy. Don't they see this?? I feel the oil
                            > companies, government and car makers are all in this together, but while oil
                            > companies are making record profits, car dealers are losing lots of money and may
                            > not recover. I want to know what other think and if they have some reasons why
                            > this is happening. I personally have driven fords most of my life, but I will NOT
                            > by a Ford again or an American car. I really want to a prius or what I will
                            > probably do is build an electric car or biodiesel. Just wanted to put this out
                            > there and see what you guys think.
                            > >>

                            > > I don't know for sure, but I would guess that part of what you (we) are seeing is
                            > due to the lag from concept to market that auto makers go through. It typically
                            > takes several years for a manufacturer to design and implement something new. I
                            > don't know how long, but I'd guess between 3-5 years, depending on how much is new
                            > vs how much has already been designed. (Consider an all-new vehicle vs a new body
                            > on an existing chassis.) Think about the Dodge Magnum, a big, gas-guzzling beast
                            > available with a 300HP (or so) engine. It came out about a year or so ago. It was
                            > probably in the works before W. became President.
                            > >
                            > > Honda and Toyota have traditionally made smaller vehicles, so were probably in a
                            > much better position from the start to offer more fuel-efficient cars and take
                            > advantage of today's higher gas prices.
                            > >
                            > > Paul
                            > >

                            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Laura
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 2, 2006

                              I’ve cancelled my subscription to this membership, yet I still get emails. Can you please take me off the list.

                              Thanks.

                              Laura La Rue

                              From: "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@earthlink. net>
                              To: <hreg@yahoogroups. com>
                              Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 15:36:05 -0500

                              ------------ --------- --------- ------

                              > > 2:40pm, blpasemann wrote:
                              > >
                              > >> Interesting article today, that Toyota is now the #2 automaker. I feel there is
                              > an underlying reason car dealers are willing to keep losing money and marketshare
                              > to keep promoting gas gusseling vehicles, while Honda and Toyota and kicking
                              > their butt with hybrids and fuel economy. Don't they see this?? I feel the oil
                              > companies, government and car makers are all in this together, but while oil
                              > companies are making record profits, car dealers are losing lots of money and may
                              > not recover. I want to know what other think and if they have some reasons why
                              > this is happening. I personally have driven fords most of my life, but I will NOT
                              > by a Ford again or an American car. I really want to a prius or what I will
                              > probably do is build an electric car or biodiesel. Just wanted to put this out
                              > there and see what you guys think.
                              > >>

                              > > I don't know for sure, but I would guess that part of what you (we) are seeing is
                              > due to the lag from concept to market that auto makers go through. It typically
                              > takes several years for a manufacturer to design and implement something new. I
                              > don't know how long, but I'd guess between 3-5 years, depending on how much is new
                              > vs how much has already been designed. (Consider an all-new vehicle vs a new body
                              > on an existing chassis.) Think about the Dodge Magnum, a big, gas-guzzling beast
                              > available with a 300HP (or so) engine. It came out about a year or so ago. It was
                              > probably in the works before W. became President.
                              > >
                              > > Honda and Toyota have traditionally made smaller vehicles, so were probably in a
                              > much better position from the start to offer more fuel-efficient cars and take
                              > advantage of today's higher gas prices.
                              > >
                              > > Paul
                              > >

                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • blpasemann
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 2, 2006
                                Laura,
                                at the very least you should be able to go into your yahoo/group
                                settings and disable email messages from this group. At least the
                                emails will stop.

                                --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Laura" <laura@...> wrote:

                                > I've cancelled my subscription to this membership, yet I still get
                                > emails. Can you please take me off the list.
                                >

                                > Thanks.
                                >

                                > Laura La Rue

                              • Roxanne Boyer
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 2, 2006
                                  Ok, now I know why GM stock is rated "junk".
                                  Why does Bob Lutz think ethanol is the solution?
                                  Several studies and even my own have shown that if all the available land in the US grew biomass for ethanol, only 10% (modern tech) to 20% (future tech) of our gasoline could be replaced by ethanol. (Only 6% of diesel consumption could be replaced by biodiesel.)  Biomass fuel is hugely inefficient way to convert land into energy.  Lutz has not done his homework.

                                  I agree that it is difficult to put engine and electric trivetrains into the same car and make it economical.  Most families have two cars; why not have one for long distance (engine) and the other electric for short commutes.  It may not be for everyone, but, I bet there will be a profitable market.  I seems Bob Lutz has no vision for the future; he can only see what is now and thinks it will never change.  How do short sighted people like this get to be Vice Presidents?

                                  ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- -------
                                  Lutz: GM building hybrids for good press
                                  LeftLane News
                                  General Motors Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said in an interview this week
                                  that GM doubts the benefits of hybrids, but must build them to improve
                                  its public image. "Hybrids are technologically of doubtful benefit,
                                  and expensive, but necessary from a political and public relations
                                  point of view," Lutz told Just-Auto. "Toyota has said, economically,
                                  hybrids make no sense. The reduction in fuel [consumption] does not
                                  pay for the technological content and cost of the vehicle so therefore
                                  economically it remains fairly nonsensical, so that's the left-brain
                                  analytical argument."

                                  "The right brain is it's the popular thing to do, many people believe
                                  that if we all drove hybrids the world would suddenly get cooler again
                                  and then it's the patriotic thing to do because if you drive a hybrid
                                  you will no longer be funding the Arab terrorists, and so forth."

                                  "So, with all those beliefs out there, you have to do a hybrid for
                                  public policy reasons."

                                  "I don't care how much money you get out but when you've got two
                                  drivetrains, the sophisticated electronics and a big lithium-ion
                                  battery, you've got cost."

                                  Lutz says diesels are also problematic. "The modern diesel is becoming
                                  more and more expensive as we have to have to gear up to meet Euro 5,
                                  which is very difficult."

                                  "Let's not forget, a diesel engine is always going to be more
                                  expensive than a conventional petrol engine, that's the laws of physics."

                                  In March, Lutz said GM is most enthusiastic about ethanol. "We think
                                  running the nation on E85 makes more sense than all the hybrids in the
                                  world," he said.
                                  (21 July 2006)

                                  > I don't know for sure, but I would guess that part of what you (we) are
                                  > seeing is due to the lag from concept to market that auto makers go
                                  through.
                                  > It typically takes several years for a manufacturer to design and
                                  implement
                                  > something new. I don't know how long, but I'd guess between 3-5 years,
                                  > depending on how much is new vs how much has already been designed.
                                  > (Consider an all-new vehicle vs a new body on an existing chassis.)
                                  > Think about the Dodge Magnum, a big, gas-guzzling beast available
                                  with a
                                  > 300HP (or so) engine. It came out about a year or so ago. It was
                                  probably in
                                  > the works before W. became President.
                                  >
                                  > Honda and Toyota have traditionally made smaller vehicles, so were
                                  probably
                                  > in a much better position from the start to offer more
                                  fuel-efficient cars
                                  > and take advantage of today's higher gas prices.
                                  >
                                  > Paul

                                • Ariel Thomann
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 2, 2006
                                    No, thanks. I heard the Tesla thing too. This other was about an American inventor in
                                    the mid- to late-20th century.

                                    Ariel
                                    there is NO ONE who will help.
                                    ------------------------------------

                                  • Ariel Thomann
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 2, 2006
                                      Thank you, yes, that was it. For those who are curious about this Scuderi engine, here
                                      is their own website: : http://www.scuderigroup.com/

                                      Ariel
                                      there is NO ONE who will help.
                                      ------------------------------------

                                    • Garth & Kim Travis
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 3, 2006
                                        Messages of this type do not belong on the list,  if you have a problem, contact the list owner off list.
                                        Bright Blessings,
                                        Kim

                                        From: "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@...>
                                        To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
                                        Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 15:36:05 -0500
                                        You heard it on Marketplace on Tuesday. http://marketplace.publicradio.org/shows/2006/08/01/PM200608015.html

                                        ------------------------------------

                                        > > 2:40pm, blpasemann wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > >> Interesting article today, that Toyota is now the #2 automaker. I feel there is
                                        > an underlying reason car dealers are willing to keep losing money and marketshare
                                        > to keep promoting gas gusseling vehicles, while Honda and Toyota and kicking
                                        > their butt with hybrids and fuel economy. Don't they see this?? I feel the oil
                                        > companies, government and car makers are all in this together, but while oil
                                        > companies are making record profits, car dealers are losing lots of money and may
                                        > not recover. I want to know what other think and if they have some reasons why
                                        > this is happening. I personally have driven fords most of my life, but I will NOT
                                        > by a Ford again or an American car. I really want to a prius or what I will
                                        > probably do is build an electric car or biodiesel. Just wanted to put this out
                                        > there and see what you guys think.
                                        > >>

                                        > > I don't know for sure, but I would guess that part of what you (we) are seeing is
                                        > due to the lag from concept to market that auto makers go through. It typically
                                        > takes several years for a manufacturer to design and implement something new. I
                                        > don't know how long, but I'd guess between 3-5 years, depending on how much is new
                                        > vs how much has already been designed. (Consider an all-new vehicle vs a new body
                                        > on an existing chassis.) Think about the Dodge Magnum, a big, gas-guzzling beast
                                        > available with a 300HP (or so) engine. It came out about a year or so ago. It was
                                        > probably in the works before W. became President.
                                        > >
                                        > > Honda and Toyota have traditionally made smaller vehicles, so were probably in a
                                        > much better position from the start to offer more fuel-efficient cars and take
                                        > advantage of today's higher gas prices.
                                        > >
                                        > > Paul
                                        > >

                                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • Paul Archer
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 3, 2006
                                          Yesterday, Ariel Thomann wrote:

                                          > Thank you, yes, that was it. For those who are curious about this Scuderi engine, here
                                          > is their own website: : http://www.scuderigroup.com/

                                          For those of you who don't quite get what's different about this engine, let
                                          me attempt an explaination.

                                          First, a normal engine uses a four-stroke cycle.

                                          Piston movement: down up down up
                                          Action happening: intake compression power exhaust

                                          In other words, as the piston moves down, it takes in a fuel/air mixture.
                                          The valves close, and the piston moves up, compressing the air (and fuel).
                                          The piston gets (almost to) the top of the stroke, and the spark plug fires,
                                          igniting the air/fuel mixture, and starting the power stroke. The expanding
                                          gasses push the piston down, providing power. The piston moves back up, and
                                          the exhaust gas is released.

                                          What happens in the Scuderi engine
                                          (http://scuderigroup.com/technology/images/scuderi_piston2.jpg) is that the
                                          air/fuel mixture (or possibly just the air, and the fuel is injected later)
                                          flows from the first piston (on the left) to the second piston (on the
                                          right).
                                          The second piston acts like the piston in a normal engine (performing the
                                          four phases I listed above). The first piston is ganged to the second, so
                                          they move (roughly) in phase.
                                          Every time the second piston moves down (on intake and power), the first
                                          piston does too, filling up with air. Every time the second piston moves up
                                          (on compression and exhaust), the first on does too, pushing air into the
                                          chamber between the pistons.

                                          What this means is that with a normal engine, a piston can take in the
                                          volume of one cylinder every cycle. With the Scuderi engine, the piston (the
                                          power piston on the right, that is) takes in the volume of two cylinders
                                          every cycle.

                                          I don't honestly know if this is really any better than a standard
                                          supercharger, since that's all this really is. (A supercharger uses a
                                          compressor turbine driven directly off the engine to compress incoming air
                                          to get more in the cylinder. A turbocharger, BTW, does the same job, but is
                                          driven from exhaust gas pressure.)

                                          I also question the wisdom of a four-cylinder engine (that according to the
                                          website produces as much power as a six-cylinder engine) that only fires on
                                          two cylinders. The problem here, especially if it does produce as much power
                                          as a six-cylinder engine, is that it means the power cylinder is doing three
                                          times the work (and producing three times the heat) of a cylinder in a
                                          regular car. That points to the potential for heat-related problems.

                                          There is potential here, though. Using a piston to compress the incoming air
                                          is probably cheaper (in terms of mechanical efficiency) than a supercharger.
                                          And it would produce much higher boost. A standard turbocharger (I can't
                                          give you numbers for superchargers, 'cause I don't know as much about them)
                                          produces around 8lbs(per square inch) of boost. Performance modders rarely
                                          jack them up past 12lbs because of reliability issues, and 15lbs (which is a
                                          full atmosphere) of boost is pretty much the max you can run them at without
                                          a high risk of failure.
                                          By doubling the amount of air going into the power cylinder, they're
                                          effectively doubling the atmospheric pressue, which would be like 15lbs
                                          boost from a turbo/super-charger.
                                          Their website mentions being able to fire the spark after TDC (top dead
                                          center), and having a superfast burn. In a normal engine, the spark is fired
                                          before the piston is done compressing the gas, so that it's burning well
                                          by the time the piston is moving down. That's inefficient. So being able to
                                          produce a complete burn after TDC is a win.

                                          Paul
                                        • Henry H Haynes
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 3, 2006
                                            At what psi does spontaneous combustion become a factor with a gasoline/air mixture?

                                            Henry

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 3, 2006
                                              Good question. It's one I don't know the answer to, and part of the reason
                                              why I'm unsure about the promise of this new engine design.

                                              8:35am, Henry H Haynes wrote:

                                              > At what psi does spontaneous combustion become a factor with a gasoline/air mixture?
                                              >
                                              > Henry
                                              >
                                              > Paul Archer <tigger@...> wrote: Yesterday, Ariel Thomann wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > Thank you, yes, that was it. For those who are curious about this Scuderi engine, here
                                              > > is their own website: : http://www.scuderigroup.com/
                                              > >

                                              > For those of you who don't quite get what's different about this engine, let
                                              > me attempt an explaination.
                                              [snip]
                                            • Robert Johnston
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 3, 2006

                                                Depends on the temperature, of course.  At atmospheric pressure, the autoignition temperature (AIT) defines the point at which spontaneous ignition occurs.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoignition_temperature reports 275°C for gasoline (in air).  Normally, AIT is measured at atmospheric pressure.

                                                There is a brief discussion of an apparatus to measure the effect of pressure on the AIT found at http://www.ptb.de/de/org/3/34/341/goedde.htm.  Basically, as pressure increases, the AIT decreases, but there is a limit to this effect due since increased pressure also shifts the liquid-vapor equilibrium towards the liquid phase.

                                                The Semenov Equation giving the effect of pressure on AIT is shown on p. 4 of this article, with a graph:  http://www.me.berkeley.edu/ME140/Handout-1.pdf

                                                There is a lot more in the literature on this, of course, but those are a few free references that showed up on Google.  As the article points out, diesel engines are designed to run in that fashion (no spark); that’s why they are so much fun to start in an Alaskan winter!

                                                Robert Johnston

                                                8:35am, Henry H Haynes wrote:

                                                > At what psi does spontaneous combustion become a factor with a
                                                gasoline/air mixture?

                                                > Henry
                                                >
                                                > Paul Archer <tigger@...>
                                                wrote: Yesterday, Ariel Thomann wrote:

                                                > > Thank you, yes, that was it. For those who are curious about this
                                                Scuderi engine, here
                                                > > is their own website: : http://www.scuderig roup.com/
                                                > >

                                                > For those of you who don't quite get what's different about this engine,
                                                let
                                                > me attempt an explaination.
                                                [snip]