hreg meeting feedback

  • evelyn sardina
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
      I wonder if you guys have showers at your destination points? I would stink to high
      heaven if I cycled and then went to work!

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Paul Archer
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
        I think that's an issue for a lot of people in Houston. (That, and the heat,
        and the relatively long distances most of us have between home and work.)
        I'm fortunate to work at a large enough place (Baylor College of Medicine
        in the Medical Center) and have a good route to work (the bayou runs a mile
        north of home and takes me the other 8 1/2 miles to the Med Center). But
        even then the heat kicks my a** during the summer if I bike. Hell, it's too
        hot for my motorcycle, even. (BTW, anyone wanna buy a Kawasaki EX500?)

        Paul

        7:59am, evelyn sardina wrote:

        > I wonder if you guys have showers at your destination points? I would stink to high
        > heaven if I cycled and then went to work!

        witzelsucht (vit'sel-zoocht) [Ger.]
        "A mental condition characteristic of frontal lobe lesions
        and marked by the making of poor jokes and puns and
        the telling of pointless stories, at which
        the patient himself is intensely amused."
        From Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary, 26th edition.
      • Garth & Kim Travis
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
          While fresh sweat is not too offensive, your email reminded me of my days at U of Alberta and some of the students that did cycle year round.  At one point, we made one of the students stand out in the hall for lectures, he was so offensive.  Generally a full change of clothes and being clean before starting your trek will suffice.  Just don't start skipping showers!, <grin>
          Bright Blessings,
          Kim

          At 09:59 AM 8/2/2006, you wrote:
          I wonder if you guys have showers at your destination points? I would stink to high
          heaven if I cycled and then went to work!

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • Jim & Janet
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
            Speaking as a road cyclist for the last 35 years, I would like to suggest that you probably are not nearly hydrated enough all the time. When you ride it is made apparent.
            Get into the habit of drinking enough water (a third of a gallon dailyif you spend much time outdoors) each day so that your urine is nearly clear. You will discover other positive changes in your biological systems by keeping your cells properly saturated. If you awaken in the morning thirsty, you are about right. Water should taste as good as coffee.
            As for careless or rude drivers, a smile and a wave to them will go a long way toward fostering good will, at least with the non-rednecks.
            Jim Duncan

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
              How much?

              Steve

              7:59am, evelyn sardina wrote:

              > I wonder if you guys have showers at your destination points? I would stink to high
              > heaven if I cycled and then went to work!

              witzelsucht (vit'sel-zoocht) [Ger.]
              "A mental condition characteristic of frontal lobe lesions
              and marked by the making of poor jokes and puns and
              the telling of pointless stories, at which
              the patient himself is intensely amused."
              From Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary, 26th edition.

              SBT Designs
              25581 IH-10 West
              San Antonio, Texas 78257
              (210) 698-7109
              www.sbtdesigns.com
            • Ariel Thomann
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
                I hear they use baby wipes; probably best to get the "adult size" or whatever, I used
                them to "bathe" myself at St. Luke Hospital (or Methodist?) after major surgery. They
                are probably available at hospital supply stores.

                Ariel
                there is NO ONE who will help.
              • Ariel Thomann
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
                  Amen. I can address this with some genuine professional expertise. I always advocate
                  getting away from the term "re-hydrate" and instead use "PRE-hydrate". If one feels
                  thirsty during/after exercise, sweating in the heat, etc, there is already a significant
                  degree of dehydration. Don't get me started on heat prostration, heat cramps, and
                  worse. If one will be generating sweat in the heat, one must drink a lot BEFORE the
                  exercise or whatever. Gatorade is a bit too concentrated; best if slightly diluted with
                  water. Jim is right on keeping the urine almost clear. If, on the other hand, urine is
                  dark and scant, hydration and cooling may be needed very urgently.

                  Ariel
                  there is NO ONE who will help.
                  ------------------------------------

                  > Speaking as a road cyclist for the last 35 years, I would like to suggest that you
                  > probably are not nearly hydrated enough all the time. When you ride it is made
                  > apparent. Get into the habit of drinking enough water (a third of a gallon dailyif
                  > you spend much time outdoors) each day so that your urine is nearly clear. You will
                  > discover other positive changes in your biological systems by keeping your cells
                  > properly saturated. If you awaken in the morning thirsty, you are about right. Water
                  > should taste as good as coffee. As for careless or rude drivers, a smile and a wave to
                  > them will go a long way toward fostering good will, at least with the non-rednecks.
                  > Jim Duncan

                • Nan Hildreth
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
                    Thanks. i'm just learning how to do that.

                    At 02:09 PM 8/2/2006, you wrote:
                    >Amen. I can address this with some genuine professional
                    >expertise. I always advocate
                    >getting away from the term "re-hydrate" and instead use
                    >"PRE-hydrate". If one feels
                    >thirsty during/after exercise, sweating in the heat, etc, there is
                    >already a significant
                    >degree of dehydration. Don't get me started on heat prostration,
                    >heat cramps, and
                    >worse. If one will be generating sweat in the heat, one must drink
                    >a lot BEFORE the
                    >exercise or whatever. Gatorade is a bit too concentrated; best if
                    >slightly diluted with
                    >water. Jim is right on keeping the urine almost clear. If, on the
                    >other hand, urine is
                    >dark and scant, hydration and cooling may be needed very urgently.
                    >
                    >Ariel
                    >- We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one
                    >another, since otherwise
                    >there is NO ONE who will help.
                    >- All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic energy policy. Think
                    >ahead 7 generations.
                    >------------------------------------
                    >
                    > > Speaking as a road cyclist for the last 35 years, I would like to
                    > suggest that you
                    > > probably are not nearly hydrated enough all the time. When you
                    > ride it is made
                    > > apparent. Get into the habit of drinking enough water (a third
                    > of a gallon dailyif
                    > > you spend much time outdoors) each day so that your urine is
                    > nearly clear. You will
                    > > discover other positive changes in your biological systems by
                    > keeping your cells
                    > > properly saturated. If you awaken in the morning thirsty, you are
                    > about right. Water
                    > > should taste as good as coffee. As for careless or rude drivers,
                    > a smile and a wave to
                    > > them will go a long way toward fostering good will, at least with
                    > the non-rednecks.
                    > > Jim Duncan

                    Nan Hildreth, Houston 713-842-6643
                    3939 Luca St., Houston, Tx 77021

                    If we attempt to ... do things ... for the world without deepening
                    our own self-understanding, ... freedom, integrity, and capacity to
                    love, we will not have anything to give to others. We will
                    communicate nothing but our own obsessions, our aggressiveness, our
                    ego-centered ambitions; Thomas Merton quoted in Soul of a
                    Citizen by Paul Rogat Loeb
                  • Nan Hildreth
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
                      What a joke! Energy's been so cheap we need lessons in how to exercise.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 2, 2006
                        Back to the stinky department. I was driving past a hospital a couple of hours ago, and
                        spotted a medical supply store. I picked up for $ 6.95 each, two 8-packs (each about 1
                        x 4 x 8 inches) of "Comfort Personal Cleansing Bath Ultra-Thick premoistened washcloths
                        ('disposable washcloths')". Made by Sage Products, Inc. [ www.sageproducts.com ].

                        It seems that cooling off until stop sweating, then do one of these, then some
                        deodorant, might suffice.

                        Ariel
                        there is NO ONE who will help.