Re: [hreg] hreg meeting feed back

  • Roxanne Boyer
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 31 7:16 PM
      Evelyn,

      About 5% of the petroleum used today goes to making plastics and other materials.  It is sad that we are burning this precious resource.

      Good news! Most plastics are recycleable.  More good news!  People are figuring out how to make plastics from biomass.

      As for electric vehicles...
      Companies making NEV's (max 20 mph on streets up to 30 mph):
      1)  The Gizmo by the Neighborhood Electric Vehicle Company
      2)  The GEM by Daimlier Chrysler
      3)  The Gorilla
      4)  The Lido by Western

      Companies making enclosed 3 wheel EVs:
      1) Twike  (small enclosed 3 wheel electric trike)
      2) Myer's motors (formerly the Corbin Sparrow)
      3) The Doran (homebuild from plans)

      Regards,
      Chris

      evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@...> wrote:
      I thank everyone who contributed to the meeting today. I learn so much when I attend.
      I found the meeting informative and at the same time very light hearted! This one is for Bashir... If we are trying to use less fosil fuels then how are cells made of plastic going to decrease the dependancy of fosils? This one is for Chris... Do you mind posting the name of those to vehicles with the covers? I would like to find out more information about them. I wish the wind and solar people would move faster. It was disheartening to see that we are still so dependent on coal,oil and (God help us all)
      nuclear. I like the idea of the reduced emisions but I think it is just a patch and not a solution. Just thought I put in my two cents.
      Evelyn

    • Nan Hildreth
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2006
        After looking at NEV's (Neighborhood Electric Vehicles), I started looking at LEV's, (Light Electric Vehicles): electric scooters and electric bicycles.   And regular bicycles.  They use the unwanted oils and fats in my butt.

        At 09:16 PM 7/31/2006, you wrote:
[...]

        Nan Hildreth, Houston 713-842-6643
        3939 Luca St., Houston, Tx  77021

        If we attempt to ... do things ... for the world without deepening our own self-understanding, ... freedom, integrity, and capacity to love, we will not have anything to give to others. We will communicate nothing but our own obsessions, our aggressiveness, our ego-centered ambitions; Thomas Merton quoted in Soul of a Citizen   by Paul Rogat Loeb

      • Garth & Kim Travis

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006
                I do hate to disagree with you about cycling on narrow Fm roads, but the teacher of the bicycle saftety course, Peter Wang, cycles from Fm 1960 and FM 529 (Copperfield subdivision) to his job near UH, a trip of > 25 miles then rides the van pool home.  So the safety of bicycling on Fm roads is a matter of opinion.

                in the Post Peak Oil houston, getting around will be a challenge.  This city sprawls so that i think transit can not easily replace our current system of cars.    But transit plus bicycling is a powerful combination.   I belabor the point because it seems the united states is making war to stall making radical change in our commuting methods.  a step toward regaining our integrity is envisioning how houston could function with decreasing oil supplies.

                you can chat with Wang about bicycle commuting on FM roads and more at the 8/13 peak oil conference.   To pre-register www.houstonpeakoil.org

                Greetings,

                At 07:46 PM 8/1/2006, you wrote:
                I biked 3 miles today and it took about twenty minutes.   The biggest danger to my health is my smoking.  Exercise helps me try to quit.

                On traffic safety, I took the 12 hour class by geologist Peter Wang, "Safety on the Street - Bicycle Riding for Commters" that he gives at LLU.com   Email him for time of the next session pwang01@...  He commutes 30 miles on his bike.

                Greetings,

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006
                  I do not live any where near a city and the traffic on my roads is insane, no cops patrolling due to being a very poor county.  I personally have seen too many cyclist die on our roads.  The ditches are littered with crosses with bicycles attached.  To each his/her own, but rural conditions are not the same as city conditions.  Suburban is still city, I am in the real country.  When we lived in Edmonton, we both had bicycles and used them.

                  I totally agree that cycles and city go together.  Unfortunately people in the country don't seem to understand that the entire road doesn't belong to them.  Many of them have been here for so long, that they just can't adapt to the fact that someone else might be driving on their road.  City driving is much safer, in many ways.

                  It is a shame, for many of us would like to use bicycles to do short runs of 5 miles or under.

                  Bright Blessings,
                  Kim

                  At 09:21 AM 8/2/2006, you wrote:
[...]

                  Greetings,

                  At 07:46 PM 8/1/2006, you wrote:
                  I biked 3 miles today and it took about twenty minutes.   The biggest danger to my health is my smoking.  Exercise helps me try to quit.

                  On traffic safety, I took the 12 hour class by geologist Peter Wang, "Safety on the Street - Bicycle Riding for Commters" that he gives at LLU.com   Email him for time of the next session pwang01@...  He commutes 30 miles on his bike.

                  Greetings,

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006
                    Yes, bicycling makes you realize that our city was built for cars.   Humbling.  When there are lots of bicyclists, they can unite in a critical mass to be more assertive in traffic.

                    How will houston get around when/if gasoline is $10, $20 or $50 per gallon?

                    Nan

                    Greetings,

                    At 09:21 AM 8/2/2006, you wrote:
[...]

                    Greetings,

                    At 07:46 PM 8/1/2006, you wrote:
                    I biked 3 miles today and it took about twenty minutes.   The biggest danger to my health is my smoking.  Exercise helps me try to quit.

                    On traffic safety, I took the 12 hour class by geologist Peter Wang, "Safety on the Street - Bicycle Riding for Commters" that he gives at LLU.com   Email him for time of the next session pwang01@...  He commutes 30 miles on his bike.

                    Greetings,

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006

                      Back in 1988, I was in Europe and it was fun watching all the bicycles and mopeds in the cities.  Lots of people in suits and ties ridding mopeds to work.  With a moped, you wouldn't get as sweaty.  It was June and Paris was hitting into the 30'sC daily, 90'sF for Americans and it is humid over there too.

                      Good Public transport is needed.  The lack of public transport in Texas was a shock when we moved here.  The city of Victoria was close to 50,000 people and had no bus service, at all.  How do people live?  What do you do, spend all day chaufering kids?

                      In most big cities, other than Texas, that I have visited or lived, a car was a luxury not a necessity.

                      Public transport and bike lanes are the answer.  The rest of the world has been dealing with high gas prices for many years and that is how they cope.  The small scooters, such as Vespa makes are great since the skirts protect clothing and you can arrive presentable at work.

                      For those of us way out in the country, our answer has to be biofuels.  We are too wide spread to use public transport and I can't haul and animal to market on a scooter.  I did look at the option of having one but soon realized that I usually come home from the city with my car completely full.

                      My work is my farm, so I don't commute.  I think that the long commute that Americans think is acceptable will have to change.  Hopefully this will mean the revitalization of the inner cities and a halt to suburban sprawl, but that is another topic, totally.

                      Part of the fun of living in different countries is noticing the different attitudes.  America is unique in many ways, it is the only country I have seen where so much of the population lives in affluence.  What the effect of this is with the coming oil crisis, should be interesting, if I didn't have to live it.

                      Bright Blessings,
                      Kim

                      At 09:21 AM 8/2/2006, you wrote:
[...]

                      Greetings,

                      At 07:46 PM 8/1/2006, you wrote:
                      I biked 3 miles today and it took about twenty minutes.   The biggest danger to my health is my smoking.  Exercise helps me try to quit.

                      On traffic safety, I took the 12 hour class by geologist Peter Wang, "Safety on the Street - Bicycle Riding for Commters" that he gives at LLU.com   Email him for time of the next session pwang01@...  He commutes 30 miles on his bike.

                      Greetings,

                      At 09:16 PM 7/31/2006, you wrote:
[...]

                    • Ariel Thomann
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006
                        I had mentioned some time back, and sent a picture to Peter Wang, re having seen in San
                        Pedro, Cal, on 4-lane streets, the left half of the right lane very clearly marked as
                        bicycle lane, with no room for cars to pass on the right. I presume they find it safe.

                        Ariel
                        there is NO ONE who will help.