Re: [hreg] Comment on movie - Who Killed the Electric Car?

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 23, 2006
      9:08am, Bashir Syed wrote:

      > You are right. During 2001 and 2003, our group (NASA/SR&QA Advanced
      > Technology in which I played a major role (because we had the Contract),
      > along with Prarieview Texas A&M University, and JPL. We performed tests on
      > these "Super Capacitors" involving High Energy Protons (1 MeV), Gama rays,
      > and Neutrons, and published two joint papers in IEEE's Nuclear
      > Transactions. Indeed these Capacitors, which have capacitance in FARADS
      > rather than micro-farads, are a storehouse for energy.

      > We had to be extremely careful to discharge them through a load thoroughly
      > before ever touching them.

      Too true. One advantage of capacitors is that they can charge (and
      discharge!) pretty much as quickly as the external components will allow.
      I used to work on studio flash units, and it was the most
      (potentially--pun intended) dangerous job I ever had.

      > A lot of research is in progress to invent new Energy Storage devices
      > rather than use Lead or Cadmium (both highly toxic elements) to protect
      > environment.

      > The last statement "capacitors last indefinitely," is not correct, because
      > there are many factors which can cause them to fail. There is no such
      > thing which has an unlimited life.

      True. I simply meant that they don't have a relatively fixed lifespan, like
      most batteries. If you had them in an electric car, you'd probably count on
      replacing them at some point, but you probably wouldn't have to plan on them
      going bad after three years.

      > A lot of work is also going on in Europe and Japan on such devices.

      "I'll say this about Linux: it's the first time I've seen Unix
      on the right platform."--Steve Ballmer, president of Microsoft
      (NB: Microsoft used to own SCO, which did, and still does,
      produce a Unix for the Intel platform.)