RE: [hreg] solar fridges

  • SPENCER, VICTOR (JSC-EP4)
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 27, 2000
      Please remove my address from this list.
      Thanks, Vic

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 27, 2000
        I'm not sure what Kim means by "solar fridge". Would that be an ultra high
        efficiency model along the lines of a SunFrost or a VestFrost, or would
        that be a solar thermal unit like an ammonia absorption unit? If the
        former, VestFrost has a great 7.3 cu. ft. chest freezer that uses
        .54kWH/day @ 77 degrees F; and SunFrost has a great 10 cu. ft. upright
        freezer that uses .69kWH/day @ 70 degrees F.

        Regardless, the load profile is drastically affected by appliances; and
        consequently their placement and use in the house is extra
        important. Short of modifying the appliance, appropriate placement,
        venting, and use practices can do amazing things for any appliance's load
        signature, and for the overall load of the residence. While visiting RMI
        http://www.rmi.org/ in '95 I noticed that their dual SunFrost RF 19's were
        modified in such a way that the entire compressor assembly could be mounted
        outside in the winter.

        Andrew
        Andrew H. McCalla
        Meridian Energy Systems, Inc.
        Solar-Electric System Design, Installation, and Service.
        P.O. Box 5810
        Austin, TX 78763
        Tel: 512-477-3050
        Fax: 512-477-3035
        www.meridiansolar.com
      • Robert Johnston
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 27, 2000
          I've seen quite a few of these "please remove me" notices lately. It would
          be interesting to know the reasons. I hope we aren't losing HREG members
          just because people don't want to participate in the full range of mail-list
          discussions. I realize that it can add up to a fair bit of "spam" for some
          people, while others enjoy the discussions.

          Suggestion to HREG officers: Consider splitting the mailing list into two
          lists. One for official HREG meeting notices and the like; the other for
          informal discussions, Q&A, etc. Then members can sign up just for the first
          list or for both, according to their preferences, and also can drop one
          without dropping out altogether, if they wish.

          Robert Johnston

        • Jim & Kathi Syzdek
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 27, 2000
            It is a LOT of SPAM!! Have you guys thought about just allowing people to
            go to the egroups bulletin board to look at messages? I know I'm getting
            pretty tired of having to go through all of the emails or just deleting them
            all if I don't have time to read them, so I won't go over my max allowed
            size for emails. Maybe a separate message board for those we don't mind it
            and/or let new members then know up front that you will get inidated with
            emails if someone wants to say a few words about some thing. This really
            should be left at a bulletin board level for individual members to go to if
            they want and only receive important notices via email.

          • Kim & Garth Travis
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 28, 2000
              Andrew McCalla wrote:

              > I'm not sure what Kim means by "solar fridge".

              I am referring to the solar fridge that NASA developed for the space station.
              One of the first HREG meetings was at NASA to look at the fridge and its unique
              properties. I was wondering if the same technology could be used for a deep
              freeze. In addition to its every day applications, it would be great not to
              need a generator to back up the power for outages such as ice storms when the
              grid goes down for 4 or 5 days.

              Kim
            • Andrew McCalla
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 28, 2000
                Kim,

                I see. I wasn't aware of the refrigeration technology the space station
                was using.............not to say I haven't wondered about how they keep
                their fried chicken and beer cold.

                I'll have to check into that.

                On the issue of requiring a generator to weather (pun intended) ice storm
                induced power outages: You don't. That is, if you only want to run
                certain dedicated loads within the house. If you want to run all loads,
                business as usual, then you will probably need one. Otherwise, you can get
                away with an inverter/battery charger and an appropriately sized battery
                bank. Naturally (pun definitely inteneded), you could add some pv modules
                to increase your autonomy.

                http://www.tracebackuppower.com/

                Thanks for the word on the NASA fridge. If you have any links to it,
                please send them my way.

                Andrew

                Andrew H. McCalla
                Meridian Energy Systems, Inc.
                Solar-Electric System Design, Installation, and Service.
                P.O. Box 5810
                Austin, TX 78763
                Tel: 512-477-3050
                Fax: 512-477-3035
                www.meridiansolar.com
              • EXT-Mendell, Christopher N
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 28, 2000
                  Is the space station refrigerator functionality based on thermoelectric heat
                  pump while utilizing vacuum panel technology for insulation?
                  Chris Mendell

                • Steve Shepard
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 28, 2000
                    Vestfrost makes a low energy freezer but it is AC power only. It uses 540
                    Watts per day.
                    You could mate this to a renewable energy power system if you also use an
                    inverter.

                    Maytag is now producing some very low energy appliances and it might be
                    worth checking them out and see if they compare to the Vestfrost or not.
                    Maytag would be more readily available.

                    SBT Designs
                    25840 IH-10 West #1
                    Boerne, Texas 78006
                    210-698-7109
                    FAX: 210-698-7147
                    http://www.sbtdesigns.com
                    sbtdesigns@...
                    > I was wondering, is it possible to use the same technology developed for
                    > the solar fridge and use it to create a solar deep freeze? Also, how
                    > much heat does the solar fridge put out? We purchased a high seer
                    > rated fridge last year for xmas and discovered that it gives off twice
                    > the heat of our old fridge. [it is also twice the size] I am finding
                    > that my air conditioning load is drastically affected by my appliances.
                    > Kim
                    >

                    > eGroups Sponsor

                  • Andrew McCalla
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 29, 2000
                      Indeed, Maytag, as well as several other manufacturers, are upgrading the efficiencies of their appliances radically.  For a fairly comprehensive listing, ACE3 publishes "The Most Energy-Efficient Appliances" on an annual basis.
                      http://www.aceee.org/consumerguide/mostenef.htm

                      Reefers are broken down by general cubic foot rating and by configuration (top freezer, side by side, etc.)
                      http://www.aceee.org/consumerguide/topfridge.htm

                      You should also check out their consumer guide if you get the chance:
                      http://www.aceee.org/consumerguide/index.htm

                      Note:  The Vestfrost uses 540 Watt-Hours per day, or .54kWH/Day.

                      Andrew
                      Andrew H. McCalla
                      Meridian Energy Systems, Inc.
                      Solar-Electric System Design, Installation, and Service.
                      P.O. Box 5810
                      Austin, TX  78763
                      Tel: 512-477-3050
                      Fax: 512-477-3035
                    • Ewert, Mike
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 30, 2000
                        Yes, the technology can be applied to freezers as well as refrigerators.
                        However, Solus, the company which is commercializing the solar refrigerator
                        has not produced any freezers for sale yet.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 1, 2000
                          Yes, the Europeans are building several refrigerator/freezers for the
                          International Space Station which use thermoelectric cooling devices and
                          vacuum panel insulation. There will be 3 on board at a time in the
                          Habitation module, which will arrive in 2005. Until then, the crew will eat
                          thermo-stabilized, dried and canned food.

                          The Space Station refrigerator will indeed be solar powered because the
                          whole Space Station is solar powered. Here is one link with a little
                          information about the power system.
                          http://space-power.grc.nasa.gov/spacedir/lerc-eps.html