solar fridges

  • Kim & Garth Travis
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 27, 2000
      Hi,
      I was wondering, is it possible to use the same technology developed for
      the solar fridge and use it to create a solar deep freeze? Also, how
      much heat does the solar fridge put out? We purchased a high seer
      rated fridge last year for xmas and discovered that it gives off twice
      the heat of our old fridge. [it is also twice the size] I am finding
      that my air conditioning load is drastically affected by my appliances.
      Kim
    • Steve Stelzer
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 27, 2000
        Kim: the Florida Solar Energy Center has data to back up the energy
        consumption of a refrigerator in a typical house in a hot/humid climate to
        be as much as 10% of the bill. It is always on, and it dumps waste heat
        into the house to then air condition. I recently designed a deli space in a
        hotel where we put remote roof mounted compressors for the coolers to keep
        the noise and load down in the space. I'm not sure how efficient that is,
        but it did add cost to the project. I've often wondered about the
        feasibility of remote compressors for residential units. Has anyone heard
        about any development on this front?

        Steve Stelzer

        I was wondering, is it possible to use the same technology developed for
        the solar fridge and use it to create a solar deep freeze? Also, how
        much heat does the solar fridge put out? We purchased a high seer
        rated fridge last year for xmas and discovered that it gives off twice
        the heat of our old fridge. [it is also twice the size] I am finding
        that my air conditioning load is drastically affected by my appliances.
        Kim
      • SPENCER, VICTOR (JSC-EP4)
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 27, 2000
          Please remove my address from this list.
          Thanks, Vic

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 27, 2000
            I'm not sure what Kim means by "solar fridge". Would that be an ultra high
            efficiency model along the lines of a SunFrost or a VestFrost, or would
            that be a solar thermal unit like an ammonia absorption unit? If the
            former, VestFrost has a great 7.3 cu. ft. chest freezer that uses
            .54kWH/day @ 77 degrees F; and SunFrost has a great 10 cu. ft. upright
            freezer that uses .69kWH/day @ 70 degrees F.

            Regardless, the load profile is drastically affected by appliances; and
            consequently their placement and use in the house is extra
            important. Short of modifying the appliance, appropriate placement,
            venting, and use practices can do amazing things for any appliance's load
            signature, and for the overall load of the residence. While visiting RMI
            http://www.rmi.org/ in '95 I noticed that their dual SunFrost RF 19's were
            modified in such a way that the entire compressor assembly could be mounted
            outside in the winter.

            Andrew
            Andrew H. McCalla
            Meridian Energy Systems, Inc.
            Solar-Electric System Design, Installation, and Service.
            P.O. Box 5810
            Austin, TX 78763
            Tel: 512-477-3050
            Fax: 512-477-3035
            www.meridiansolar.com
          • Robert Johnston
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 27, 2000
              I've seen quite a few of these "please remove me" notices lately. It would
              be interesting to know the reasons. I hope we aren't losing HREG members
              just because people don't want to participate in the full range of mail-list
              discussions. I realize that it can add up to a fair bit of "spam" for some
              people, while others enjoy the discussions.

              Suggestion to HREG officers: Consider splitting the mailing list into two
              lists. One for official HREG meeting notices and the like; the other for
              informal discussions, Q&A, etc. Then members can sign up just for the first
              list or for both, according to their preferences, and also can drop one
              without dropping out altogether, if they wish.

              Robert Johnston

            • Jim & Kathi Syzdek
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 27, 2000
                It is a LOT of SPAM!! Have you guys thought about just allowing people to
                go to the egroups bulletin board to look at messages? I know I'm getting
                pretty tired of having to go through all of the emails or just deleting them
                all if I don't have time to read them, so I won't go over my max allowed
                size for emails. Maybe a separate message board for those we don't mind it
                and/or let new members then know up front that you will get inidated with
                emails if someone wants to say a few words about some thing. This really
                should be left at a bulletin board level for individual members to go to if
                they want and only receive important notices via email.

              • Kim & Garth Travis
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 28, 2000
                  Andrew McCalla wrote:

                  > I'm not sure what Kim means by "solar fridge".

                  I am referring to the solar fridge that NASA developed for the space station.
                  One of the first HREG meetings was at NASA to look at the fridge and its unique
                  properties. I was wondering if the same technology could be used for a deep
                  freeze. In addition to its every day applications, it would be great not to
                  need a generator to back up the power for outages such as ice storms when the
                  grid goes down for 4 or 5 days.

                  Kim
                • Andrew McCalla
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 28, 2000
                    Kim,

                    I see. I wasn't aware of the refrigeration technology the space station
                    was using.............not to say I haven't wondered about how they keep
                    their fried chicken and beer cold.

                    I'll have to check into that.

                    On the issue of requiring a generator to weather (pun intended) ice storm
                    induced power outages: You don't. That is, if you only want to run
                    certain dedicated loads within the house. If you want to run all loads,
                    business as usual, then you will probably need one. Otherwise, you can get
                    away with an inverter/battery charger and an appropriately sized battery
                    bank. Naturally (pun definitely inteneded), you could add some pv modules
                    to increase your autonomy.

                    http://www.tracebackuppower.com/

                    Thanks for the word on the NASA fridge. If you have any links to it,
                    please send them my way.

                    Andrew

                    Andrew H. McCalla
                    Meridian Energy Systems, Inc.
                    Solar-Electric System Design, Installation, and Service.
                    P.O. Box 5810
                    Austin, TX 78763
                    Tel: 512-477-3050
                    Fax: 512-477-3035
                    www.meridiansolar.com
                  • EXT-Mendell, Christopher N
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 28, 2000
                      Is the space station refrigerator functionality based on thermoelectric heat
                      pump while utilizing vacuum panel technology for insulation?
                      Chris Mendell

                    • Steve Shepard
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 28, 2000
                        Vestfrost makes a low energy freezer but it is AC power only. It uses 540
                        Watts per day.
                        You could mate this to a renewable energy power system if you also use an
                        inverter.

                        Maytag is now producing some very low energy appliances and it might be
                        worth checking them out and see if they compare to the Vestfrost or not.
                        Maytag would be more readily available.

                        SBT Designs
                        25840 IH-10 West #1
                        Boerne, Texas 78006
                        210-698-7109
                        FAX: 210-698-7147
                        http://www.sbtdesigns.com
                        sbtdesigns@...
                        > I was wondering, is it possible to use the same technology developed for
                        > the solar fridge and use it to create a solar deep freeze? Also, how
                        > much heat does the solar fridge put out? We purchased a high seer
                        > rated fridge last year for xmas and discovered that it gives off twice
                        > the heat of our old fridge. [it is also twice the size] I am finding
                        > that my air conditioning load is drastically affected by my appliances.
                        > Kim
                        >

                        > eGroups Sponsor

                      • Andrew McCalla
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 29, 2000
                          Indeed, Maytag, as well as several other manufacturers, are upgrading the efficiencies of their appliances radically.  For a fairly comprehensive listing, ACE3 publishes "The Most Energy-Efficient Appliances" on an annual basis.
                          http://www.aceee.org/consumerguide/mostenef.htm

                          Reefers are broken down by general cubic foot rating and by configuration (top freezer, side by side, etc.)
                          http://www.aceee.org/consumerguide/topfridge.htm

                          You should also check out their consumer guide if you get the chance:
                          http://www.aceee.org/consumerguide/index.htm

                          Note:  The Vestfrost uses 540 Watt-Hours per day, or .54kWH/Day.

                          Andrew
                          Andrew H. McCalla
                          Meridian Energy Systems, Inc.
                          Solar-Electric System Design, Installation, and Service.
                          P.O. Box 5810
                          Austin, TX  78763
                          Tel: 512-477-3050
                          Fax: 512-477-3035
                        • Ewert, Mike
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 30, 2000
                            Yes, the technology can be applied to freezers as well as refrigerators.
                            However, Solus, the company which is commercializing the solar refrigerator
                            has not produced any freezers for sale yet.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 1, 2000
                              Yes, the Europeans are building several refrigerator/freezers for the
                              International Space Station which use thermoelectric cooling devices and
                              vacuum panel insulation. There will be 3 on board at a time in the
                              Habitation module, which will arrive in 2005. Until then, the crew will eat
                              thermo-stabilized, dried and canned food.

                              The Space Station refrigerator will indeed be solar powered because the
                              whole Space Station is solar powered. Here is one link with a little
                              information about the power system.
                              http://space-power.grc.nasa.gov/spacedir/lerc-eps.html