Mist cooling for AC units

  • Todd
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 29 6:36 AM
      I've heard about and even seen offered for sale kits that provide a
      water fog mist around the AC unit outside.

      Proponents say it cools the unit, lowering head pressure and
      increasing the AC performance. But the local heating and air guys,
      including an instructor at the local Vo-tech say it will cause
      premature failure of the fan motor.

      They say the fan motor shaft runs on brass or bronze bushings rather
      than bearings and that corrosion on the shaft would wear out the
      motor.

      My idea is to meter the mist to a point where there is essentially no
      water getting through to the interior of the outside unit. It will
      likely be more humid but no water dripping on the fan motor. The
      water spray would only come on when the outside unit is running.

      My city water does not have high chlorine but that is a concern with
      regards to corrosion. The patio mist cooling suppliers offer an in-
      line phosphate treatment to inhibit salts from clogging the nozzles.
      Would this help prevent the effects of chlorine?

      This AC unit is 16 years old and a 10 SEER. I can't afford to replace
      it right now and don't want to cause any premature failures.

      By the way, this AC used to not be able to keep up with the cooling
      demands. I've added lots of little conservation details to where now
      I frequently need a dehumidifier as the AC doesn't have to run that
      long to cool the building. Therefore, it doesn't suck all the water
      out of the interior.

      Thanks for any advice.

      Todd
    • Paul Archer
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 29 6:45 AM
        I'm interested in doing this, too, as my (rather high) summer electric bill
        is half cooling costs.
        I personally wouldn't worry too much about the motor. It's designed for an
        outdoor environment. Granted, that doesn't mean it's designed to be wet
        continuously for months or years at a time--but it does mean it's designed
        to be wet for days at a time (think of the recent rains, for instance).
        And keeping the mist down so the motor doesn't get wet will probably help as
        well. Plus, if it's only coming on when the compressor is running, then it's
        only coming on when the coils are hot, which should help make sure any water
        introduced to the system evaporates quickly.
        Finally, if you're really worried about the motor, find out what a new one
        would cost if you had to replace it. Then you know what you'd be out in a
        worst-case scenario. (My guess is it'd be less than $100, but I haven't
        priced them in a while.)

        Paul

        1:36pm, Todd wrote:

        > I've heard about and even seen offered for sale kits that provide a
        > water fog mist around the AC unit outside.
        >
        > Proponents say it cools the unit, lowering head pressure and
        > increasing the AC performance. But the local heating and air guys,
        > including an instructor at the local Vo-tech say it will cause
        > premature failure of the fan motor.
        >
        > They say the fan motor shaft runs on brass or bronze bushings rather
        > than bearings and that corrosion on the shaft would wear out the
        > motor.
        >
        > My idea is to meter the mist to a point where there is essentially no
        > water getting through to the interior of the outside unit. It will
        > likely be more humid but no water dripping on the fan motor. The
        > water spray would only come on when the outside unit is running.
        >
        > My city water does not have high chlorine but that is a concern with
        > regards to corrosion. The patio mist cooling suppliers offer an in-
        > line phosphate treatment to inhibit salts from clogging the nozzles.
        > Would this help prevent the effects of chlorine?
        >
        > This AC unit is 16 years old and a 10 SEER. I can't afford to replace
        > it right now and don't want to cause any premature failures.
        >
        > By the way, this AC used to not be able to keep up with the cooling
        > demands. I've added lots of little conservation details to where now
        > I frequently need a dehumidifier as the AC doesn't have to run that
        > long to cool the building. Therefore, it doesn't suck all the water
        > out of the interior.
        >
        > Thanks for any advice.
        >
        > Todd

        Chorus of young girls: "We're the Department
        Of Youth, and we've got the power."
        Alice Cooper: "And who gave it to you?"
        Chorus of young girls: "Donnie Osmond!"
        Alice Cooper: "What?!?"
      • refuge@wt.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 29 7:23 AM
          Paul,
          you may want to look into a product called "Permafrost" my inspector told
          me about it... he uses it and says it makes a difference... it's an oil that's
          added to the coolent lines which is supposed to make the system more efficient
          and the air coming out the vents much colder so it cools the house much faster
          making the system not have to run as long... I asked someone from the company
          that installed the a/c unit in my new home and he said he's heard of it and
          that it does work but they don't install it... my inspector says it costs $90
          per ton... I don't think i'll need it as I'm a real cheapo when it comes to
          a/c 82 during the day 80 at night... after 8 months livng here my highest
          electric bill (last month) was only $100.09... all the rest were $40-$48...
          that's another alternative... learn to live with the thermostat set higher...
          later

          believed to be clean.
        • Paul Archer
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 29 7:57 AM
            9:23am, refuge@... wrote:

            > Paul,
            > you may want to look into a product called "Permafrost" my inspector told
            > me about it... he uses it and says it makes a difference... it's an oil that's
            > added to the coolent lines which is supposed to make the system more efficient
            > and the air coming out the vents much colder so it cools the house much faster
            > making the system not have to run as long... I asked someone from the company
            > that installed the a/c unit in my new home and he said he's heard of it and
            > that it does work but they don't install it... my inspector says it costs $90
            > per ton... I don't think i'll need it as I'm a real cheapo when it comes to
            > a/c 82 during the day 80 at night... after 8 months livng here my highest
            > electric bill (last month) was only $100.09... all the rest were $40-$48...
            > that's another alternative... learn to live with the thermostat set higher...
            > later

            Hmmm...I haven't heard of an addititve like that. I used to do some a/c work
            a long, long, time ago, and I'm a bit skeptical. The only thing that an oil
            will do is lubricate the compressor. That could increase efficiency,
            although (as you may have guessed) there's already oil in the system for the
            compressor, so this would have to be some sort of high-efficiency,
            low-viscosity wonder. I can't imagine it affecting the system in any other
            way. If you've got a website or similar resource I could look at, I'd be
            interested in checking out their claims.

            I'd like to keep the thermostat up higher--but I'm married to a very
            temperature-sensitive woman.

            Paul
          • refuge@wt.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 29 8:27 AM
              Paul,

              I can understand the temperature sensative woman issue... my mother in law
              is a cold hearted woman who needs her house 3 degrees above freezing or all
              hell breaks loose... then again, they average $600+ per month electric bill..
              thankfully my wife isn't anywhere as temp sensative.... here's a website with
              more info about permafrost http://www.permafrostonline.com/technology/ if you
              decide to try it let us know your results... I can also give you the phone #
              of my inspector who tried this on his house if you want. his name is also Paul

              Quoting Paul Archer <tigger@...>:

              > 9:23am, refuge@... wrote:
              >
              > > Paul,
              > > you may want to look into a product called "Permafrost" my inspector
              > told
              > > me about it... he uses it and says it makes a difference... it's an oil
              > that's
              > > added to the coolent lines which is supposed to make the system more
              > efficient
              > > and the air coming out the vents much colder so it cools the house much
              > faster
              > > making the system not have to run as long... I asked someone from the
              > company
              > > that installed the a/c unit in my new home and he said he's heard of it
              > and
              > > that it does work but they don't install it... my inspector says it costs
              > $90
              > > per ton... I don't think i'll need it as I'm a real cheapo when it comes
              > > a/c 82 during the day 80 at night... after 8 months livng here my highest
              > > electric bill (last month) was only $100.09... all the rest were
              > $40-$48...
              > > that's another alternative... learn to live with the thermostat set
              > higher...
              > > later
              > >

              > Hmmm...I haven't heard of an addititve like that. I used to do some a/c work
              >
              > a long, long, time ago, and I'm a bit skeptical. The only thing that an oil
              > will do is lubricate the compressor. That could increase efficiency,
              > although (as you may have guessed) there's already oil in the system for the
              >
              > compressor, so this would have to be some sort of high-efficiency,
              > low-viscosity wonder. I can't imagine it affecting the system in any other
              > way. If you've got a website or similar resource I could look at, I'd be
              > interested in checking out their claims.
              >
              > I'd like to keep the thermostat up higher--but I'm married to a very
              > temperature-sensitive woman.
              >
              > Paul
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              believed to be clean.
            • Steven Shepard
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 29 9:38 AM
                Well I know how you can get on her good side.

                I should charge you big money for this referral but because you are with hreg take it with my compliments.  Check out this URL: http://tealco.net/bed_fan.html
                This thing was invented by a San Antonio inventor.  It generally sells for around $80.00 retail price. There are three stores in San Antonio selling it retail.  It doesn't look like it but this thing can soothe savage beasts.

                Quoting Paul Archer <tigger@...>:

                > 9:23am, refuge@... wrote:
                >
                > > Paul,
                > > you may want to look into a product called "Permafrost" my inspector
                > told
                > > me about it... he uses it and says it makes a difference.. . it's an oil
                > that's
                > > added to the coolent lines which is supposed to make the system more
                > efficient
                > > and the air coming out the vents much colder so it cools the house much
                > faster
                > > making the system not have to run as long... I asked someone from the
                > company
                > > that installed the a/c unit in my new home and he said he's heard of it
                > and
                > > that it does work but they don't install it... my inspector says it costs
                > $90
                > > per ton... I don't think i'll need it as I'm a real cheapo when it comes
                > > a/c 82 during the day 80 at night... after 8 months livng here my highest
                > > electric bill (last month) was only $100.09... all the rest were
                > $40-$48...
                > > that's another alternative. .. learn to live with the thermostat set
                > higher...
                > > later
                > >

                > Hmmm...I haven't heard of an addititve like that. I used to do some a/c work
                >
                > a long, long, time ago, and I'm a bit skeptical. The only thing that an oil
                > will do is lubricate the compressor. That could increase efficiency,
                > although (as you may have guessed) there's already oil in the system for the
                >
                > compressor, so this would have to be some sort of high-efficiency,
                > low-viscosity wonder. I can't imagine it affecting the system in any other
                > way. If you've got a website or similar resource I could look at, I'd be
                > interested in checking out their claims.
                >
                > I'd like to keep the thermostat up higher--but I'm married to a very
                > temperature- sensitive woman.
                >
                > Paul
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                believed to be clean.

                SBT Designs
                25581 IH-10 West
                San Antonio, Texas 78257
                (210) 698-7109
                www.sbtdesigns.com
              • Paul Archer
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 29 9:43 AM
                  Thanks for the link. I get what it does now. It's not an oil, but an oil
                  additive. The idea is that the oil that is in the system (required to
                  lubricate the compressor) ends up coating the insides of the evaporation and
                  condensing coils, inhibiting thermal conduction. This stuff coats the metal
                  and displaces the oil. The net result is (so they claim) that the system
                  will work more efficiently.
                  There are several case studies on their site, and it does seem to make a
                  difference (11-19% more efficient or so).
                  If I decide to try it, I'll let you know. I plan to put a white
                  thermoelastic coating on my roof first.

                  Paul

                  10:27am, refuge@... wrote:

                  > Paul,
                  >
                  > I can understand the temperature sensative woman issue... my mother in law
                  > is a cold hearted woman who needs her house 3 degrees above freezing or all
                  > hell breaks loose... then again, they average $600+ per month electric bill..
                  > thankfully my wife isn't anywhere as temp sensative.... here's a website with
                  > more info about permafrost http://www.permafrostonline.com/technology/ if you
                  > decide to try it let us know your results... I can also give you the phone #
                  > of my inspector who tried this on his house if you want. his name is also Paul
                  >
                  > Quoting Paul Archer <tigger@...>:
                  >
                  >> 9:23am, refuge@... wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> Paul,
                  >>> you may want to look into a product called "Permafrost" my inspector
                  >> told
                  >>> me about it... he uses it and says it makes a difference... it's an oil
                  >> that's
                  >>> added to the coolent lines which is supposed to make the system more
                  >> efficient
                  >>> and the air coming out the vents much colder so it cools the house much
                  >> faster
                  >>> making the system not have to run as long... I asked someone from the
                  >> company
                  >>> that installed the a/c unit in my new home and he said he's heard of it
                  >> and
                  >>> that it does work but they don't install it... my inspector says it costs
                  >> $90
                  >>> per ton... I don't think i'll need it as I'm a real cheapo when it comes
                  >>> a/c 82 during the day 80 at night... after 8 months livng here my highest
                  >>> electric bill (last month) was only $100.09... all the rest were
                  >> $40-$48...
                  >>> that's another alternative... learn to live with the thermostat set
                  >> higher...
                  >>> later
                  >>>

                  >> Hmmm...I haven't heard of an addititve like that. I used to do some a/c work
                  >>
                  >> a long, long, time ago, and I'm a bit skeptical. The only thing that an oil
                  >> will do is lubricate the compressor. That could increase efficiency,
                  >> although (as you may have guessed) there's already oil in the system for the
                  >>
                  >> compressor, so this would have to be some sort of high-efficiency,
                  >> low-viscosity wonder. I can't imagine it affecting the system in any other
                  >> way. If you've got a website or similar resource I could look at, I'd be
                  >> interested in checking out their claims.
                  >>
                  >> I'd like to keep the thermostat up higher--but I'm married to a very
                  >> temperature-sensitive woman.
                  >>
                  >> Paul
                  >>

                  >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > --
                  > believed to be clean.

                  To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it;
                  to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it.
                  I know which one I'll trust. How about you?
                  --Scott Granneman
                • Bashir Syed
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 29 9:53 AM
                    I am glad to find out that this problem is universal, including my own wife who shuts off the AC after i turn it on. There is a constant battle on this issue. I am thinking of replacing my thermostat changed to "digital" one not so easily tempered with and set on mutually agreed temperature. When I was supporting NAS on site, our office in Building 17 at JSC was established in rooms initially designed with raised floors with AV channels to keep the big MainFrames cool. We thenm men felt quite comfortable but some of the women working in our group had heaters under their desks to keep comfortable. One day we had an intruder - a snake, who whed his skin in those air channels and became quite an rxhibit for visitors and subject of talk in our group. The Safety guys incharge of buildings never found the snake, like one day there was scare in the same building about Anthrax when someone found some talcum powder thrown as a prank or mistake, leaving the office close to ours (related to Mars Project) on the same floor closed for a couple of days till the Lab analysis results confirmed that it was talcum powder and not anything else.

                    Bashir A. Syed

                    Quoting Paul Archer <tigger@...>:

                    > 9:23am, refuge@... wrote:
                    >
                    > > Paul,
                    > > you may want to look into a product called "Permafrost" my inspector
                    > told
                    > > me about it... he uses it and says it makes a difference.. . it's an oil
                    > that's
                    > > added to the coolent lines which is supposed to make the system more
                    > efficient
                    > > and the air coming out the vents much colder so it cools the house much
                    > faster
                    > > making the system not have to run as long... I asked someone from the
                    > company
                    > > that installed the a/c unit in my new home and he said he's heard of it
                    > and
                    > > that it does work but they don't install it... my inspector says it costs
                    > $90
                    > > per ton... I don't think i'll need it as I'm a real cheapo when it comes
                    > > a/c 82 during the day 80 at night... after 8 months livng here my highest
                    > > electric bill (last month) was only $100.09... all the rest were
                    > $40-$48...
                    > > that's another alternative. .. learn to live with the thermostat set
                    > higher...
                    > > later
                    > >

                    > Hmmm...I haven't heard of an addititve like that. I used to do some a/c work
                    >
                    > a long, long, time ago, and I'm a bit skeptical. The only thing that an oil
                    > will do is lubricate the compressor. That could increase efficiency,
                    > although (as you may have guessed) there's already oil in the system for the
                    >
                    > compressor, so this would have to be some sort of high-efficiency,
                    > low-viscosity wonder. I can't imagine it affecting the system in any other
                    > way. If you've got a website or similar resource I could look at, I'd be
                    > interested in checking out their claims.
                    >
                    > I'd like to keep the thermostat up higher--but I'm married to a very
                    > temperature- sensitive woman.
                    >
                    > Paul
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    believed to be clean.

                  • Andrew McCalla
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 5, 2006

                      Steve,

                      These are pretty neat.

                      Do you know what they draw (power-wise)?

                      Andrew H. McCalla

                      NABCEP Certified Solar PV System Installer (TM)

                      Meridian Energy Systems

                      2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107

                      Austin, TX   78704

                      Voice: (512) 448-0055

                      Fax:    (512) 448-0045

                      www.meridiansolar.com

                      Quoting Paul Archer <tigger@...>:

                      > 9:23am, refuge@... wrote:
                      >
                      > > Paul,
                      > > you may want to look into a product called "Permafrost" my inspector
                      > told
                      > > me about it... he uses it and says ! it makes a difference.. . it's an oil
                      > that's
                      > > added to the coolent lines which is supposed to make the system more
                      > efficient
                      > > and the air coming out the vents much colder so it cools the house much
                      > faster
                      > > making the system not have to run as long... I asked someone from the
                      > company
                      > > that installed the a/c unit in my new home and he said he's heard of it
                      > and
                      > > that it does work but they don't install it... my inspector says it costs
                      > $90
                      > > per ton... I don't think i'll need it as I'm a real cheapo when it comes
                      > > a/c 82 during the day 80 at night... after 8 months livng here my highest
                      > > electric bill (last month) was only $100.09... all the rest were
                      > $40-$48...
                      > > that's another alternative. .. learn to live with the thermostat set
                      > higher...
                      > > later
                      > >

                      > Hm! mm...I haven't heard of an addititve like that. I used to do some a/c work
                      >
                      > a long, long, time ago, and I'm a bit skeptical. The only thing that an oil
                      > will do is lubricate the compressor. That could increase efficiency,
                      > although (as you may have guessed) there's already oil in the system for the
                      >
                      > compressor, so this would have to be some sort of high-efficiency,
                      > low-viscosity wonder. I can't imagine it affecting the system in any other
                      > way. If you've got a website or similar resource I could look at, I'd be
                      > interested in checking out their claims.
                      >
                      > I'd like to keep the thermostat up higher--but I'm married to a very
                      > temperature- sensitive woman.
                      >
                      > Paul
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      believed to be clean.

                      !

                      SBT Designs
                      25581 IH-10 West
                      San Antonio, Texas 78257
                      (210) 698-7109
                      www.sbtdesigns.com
                    • Steven Shepard
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 6, 2006
                        If memory serves I think I remember hearing the inventor speak on the Gadget Guys radio show and he said then that it draws 0.9 Amps.

                        Quoting Paul Archer <tigger@...>:

                        > 9:23am, refuge@... wrote:
                        >
                        > > Paul,
                        > > you may want to look into a product called "Permafrost" my inspector
                        > told
                        > > me about it... he uses it and says ! it makes a difference.. . it's an oil
                        > that's
                        > > added to the coolent lines which is supposed to make the system more
                        > efficient
                        > > and the air coming out the vents much colder so it cools the house much
                        > faster
                        > > making the system not have to run as long... I asked someone from the
                        > company
                        > > that installed the a/c unit in my new home and he said he's heard of it
                        > and
                        > > that it does work but they don't install it... my inspector says it costs
                        > $90
                        > > per ton... I don't think i'll need it as I'm a real cheapo when it comes
                        > > a/c 82 during the day 80 at night... after 8 months livng here my highest
                        > > electric bill (last month) was only $100.09... all the rest were
                        > $40-$48...
                        > > that's another alternative. .. learn to live with the thermostat set
                        > higher...
                        > > later
                        > >

                        > Hm! mm...I haven't heard of an addititve like that. I used to do some a/c work
                        >
                        > a long, long, time ago, and I'm a bit skeptical. The only thing that an oil
                        > will do is lubricate the compressor. That could increase efficiency,
                        > although (as you may have guessed) there's already oil in the system for the
                        >
                        > compressor, so this would have to be some sort of high-efficiency,
                        > low-viscosity wonder. I can't imagine it affecting the system in any other
                        > way. If you've got a website or similar resource I could look at, I'd be
                        > interested in checking out their claims.
                        >
                        > I'd like to keep the thermostat up higher--but I'm married to a very
                        > temperature- sensitive woman.
                        >
                        > Paul
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        believed to be clean.

                        !

                        SBT Designs
                        25581 IH-10 West
                        San Antonio, Texas 78257
                        (210) 698-7109
                        www.sbtdesigns.com

                        SBT Designs
                        25581 IH-10 West
                        San Antonio, Texas 78257
                        (210) 698-7109
                        www.sbtdesigns.com
                      • Andrew McCalla

                          If memory serves I think I remember hearing the inventor speak on the Gadget Guys radio show and he said then that it draws 0.9 Amps.

                          Do you know what they draw (power-wise)?

                          Andrew H. McCalla

                          NABCEP Certified Solar PV System Installer (TM)

                          Meridian Energy Systems

                          2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107

                          Austin , TX   78704

                          Voice: (512) 448-0055

                          Fax:    (512) 448-0045

                          www.meridiansolar.com

                          size=2 width="100%" align=center tabIndex=-1>

                          Quoting Paul Archer <tigger@...>:

                          > 9:23am, refuge@... wrote:
                          >
                          > > Paul,
                          > > you may want to look into a product called "Permafrost" my inspe! ctor
                          > told
                          > > me about it... he uses it and says ! it makes a difference.. . it's an oil
                          > that's
                          > > added to the coolent lines which is supposed to make the system more
                          > efficient
                          > > and the air coming out the vents much colder so it cools the house much
                          > faster
                          > > making the system not have to run as long... I asked someone from the
                          > company
                          > > that installed the a/c unit in my new home and he said he's heard of it
                          > and
                          > > that it does work but they don't install it... my inspector says it costs
                          > $90
                          > > per ton... I don't think i'll need it as I'm a real cheapo when it comes
                          > > a/c 82 during the day 80 at night... after 8 months livng here my highest
                          > > electric bill (last month) was only $100.09... all the rest were
                          > $40-$48...
                          > > that's another alternative. .. learn to live with the thermostat set > higher...
                          > > later
                          > >

                          > Hm! mm...I haven't heard of an addititve like that. I used to do some a/c work
                          >
                          > a long, long, time ago, and I'm a bit skeptical. The only thing that an oil
                          > will do is lubricate the compressor. That could increase efficiency,
                          > although (as you may have guessed) there's already oil in the system for the
                          >
                          > compressor, so this would have to be some sort of high-efficiency,
                          > low-viscosity wonder. I can't imagine it affecting the system in any other
                          > way. If you've got a website or similar resource I could look at, I'd be
                          > interested in checking out their claims.
                          >
                          > I'd like to keep the thermostat up higher--but I'm married to a very
                          > temperature- sensitive woman.
                          >
                          > Paul
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          dangero! us content by MailScanner, and is
                          believed to be clean.

                          !

                          SBT Designs
                          25581 IH-10 West