Two New Nuclear Plants In Houston Area

  • tailinux@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 24, 2006
      Dear Friends,

      Do you know that a Japanese company Hitachi and GE, are planning
      to build two Nuclear Power Plant near Houston For ERG Energy Inc.,
      a 5.2 billion dollar project.
      The proposal has been submitted to US Nuclear Regulartory Commision
      on jun 19, 2006 for approval, according to Reuters from Tokyo.

      As if we have not yet accomplished pollutions of all kinds, that
      addition of Nuclear Power will certainly finish the job.
      I don't know, fellows, if you think this is still your land.

      Tai Hong
    • Edward Kramer
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 25, 2006
        Ge' motto-we bring good things to life!  As Neutron Jack Welch once said-whats a few PCB's at the bottom of the Pougheepsi River going to hurt. Just think of all those construction jobs and vendor contracts for this project. What good things we bring to life. And just think of the "cheap' electricity that the reactors are going to bring to the people of Houston Texas. From cradle to grave-the nuclear generated electrcity is the most expensive of all electrcity to create. Channel 11 ran a story on this project, claiming electricity generated at nuc is around 1.78 a K/watt to produce. It is typical RePubLiCon reporting, half the facts. Maybe they will get the Nuc classified as RE and sell some REC's  to Green Mountain Energy and claim we are helping to curb Global warming.  Whats good for GE's pocket is good for the mass.
        Our country is having trouble storing the existing nuclear waste, and they want to bring "more good things to life". Talk about a target for terrorists!

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 25, 2006
          I've been by this facility a number of times and it's not a project where they
          are just going to built a brand new facility that hasn't been there before but
          they are expanding current facilites... there are already 2 reactors there and
          they are wanting to add 2 more... the Nuc power plant has been there for years
          between Bay City and Palacious... there hasen't been any problems there so far
          (Thank God) and hopefully that trend will continue... I also hope they come up
          with better ways to deal with the waste.

          Quoting Edward Kramer <onekindr@...>:

          > Ge' motto-we bring good things to life! As Neutron Jack Welch once
          > said-whats a few PCB's at the bottom of the Pougheepsi River going to hurt.
          > Just think of all those construction jobs and vendor contracts for this
          > project. What good things we bring to life. And just think of the "cheap'
          > electricity that the reactors are going to bring to the people of Houston
          > Texas. From cradle to grave-the nuclear generated electrcity is the most
          > expensive of all electrcity to create. Channel 11 ran a story on this
          > project, claiming electricity generated at nuc is around 1.78 a K/watt to
          > produce. It is typical RePubLiCon reporting, half the facts. Maybe they will
          > get the Nuc classified as RE and sell some REC's to Green Mountain Energy
          > and claim we are helping to curb Global warming. Whats good for GE's pocket
          > is good for the mass.
          > Our country is having trouble storing the existing nuclear waste, and they
          > want to bring "more good things to life". Talk about a target for terrorists!

          believed to be clean.
        • Edward Kramer
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 25, 2006
            Have you ever been inside a nuclear power plant? The daily radometer tells you todays safety level. I spent time on a soil cleanup technology project at three mile island, and being  inside gives you perspective on whats real and what the public should not know.   Every part of the facility has some sort of radiation. Is that just part of producing a product for the good of man? Do you know that part of your electric bill goes to pay for nuclear waste management. yucca mountain is good forturne for the DOE contractors probably never open. There is a Souix reservation fighting between themselves to open a depository for "safe' nuclear waste depository. Just what native american s need now.

            Quoting Edward Kramer <onekindr@pdq. net>:

            > Ge' motto-we bring good things to life! As Neutron Jack Welch once
            > said-whats a few PCB's at the bottom of the Pougheepsi River going to hurt.
            > Just think of all those construction jobs and vendor contracts for this
            > project. What good things we bring to life. And just think of the "cheap'
            > electricity that the reactors are going to bring to the people of Houston
            > Texas. From cradle to grave-the nuclear generated electrcity is the most
            > expensive of all electrcity to create. Channel 11 ran a story on this
            > project, claiming electricity generated at nuc is around 1.78 a K/watt to
            > produce. It is typical RePubLiCon reporting, half the facts. Maybe they will
            > get the Nuc classified as RE and sell some REC's to Green Mountain Energy
            > and claim we are helping to curb Global warming. Whats good for GE's pocket
            > is good for the mass.
            > Our country is having trouble storing the existing nuclear waste, and they
            > want to bring "more good things to life". Talk about a target for terrorists!

            believed to be clean.

          • William
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 25, 2006
              Hello all,
              Perhaps a "brochure" sent to the populous explaining
              with Bashirs help the "end product" of nuclear power production.
              Being (as I understand it) that the stainless steel conduits that
              help to cool the reactions after time and bombardment of nuetrons,
              become fragile and full of hairline cracks. In an area that is not
              serviceable (radiation)these pipes become a liability? So the
              billions of dollars spent are only really a cost of limited
              production before the plant becomes too dangerous to operate. Has
              this situation even been dealt with in real world discussion and
              public debates?
              I too have seen "Inconvenient Truth" on Fathers Day, and, last
              nights "Addicted to Oil" 9PM Discovery Channel by the same author
              whose book "The World Is Flat" I am currently reading. What I do not
              understand is the reluctance of the US to join with the World and
              tell the Truth. We have a problem. Not only Oil but climatic events,
              pollution, food production are all at stake. Perhaps as things
              escalate all American grassroots change should seek out funding from
              other countries to propel "employee-owned energy suppliers" or for
              that fact develop our dwellings to produce their own energy while
              making the single largest attempt to conserve energy and resources.
              Since our government is at a impass and business can only see how
              much money can be made and/or monopolies constructed.
              The best and brightest of our engineers/architects are already
              working with other countries, they see the writing on the wall. Too
              many roadblocks and powerful/greed-ridden corporations here in the
              States stand in our way.
              To all of our creative thinkers WE CAN figure this out!! When water
              fresh/salt comes against an obstacle it WILL find a way around it.
              Our most basic, plentiful and precious element on the planet gives
              us a example of what we need to do. Bill
            • Rob Rowland
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 8, 2006
                I worked on a project for ORNL back in the early 1990s that was designed to accelerate the decay of radiation in contaminated concrete.  I worked on the miniaturization of the hardware and found vendors who could build the components.  This type of work is still being done there, from what I understand.

                Rob Rowland
                Have you ever been inside a nuclear power plant? The daily radometer tells you todays safety level. I spent time on a soil cleanup technology project at three mile island, and being  inside gives you perspective on whats real and what the public should not know.   Every part of the facility has some sort of radiation. Is that just part of producing a product for the good of man? Do you know that part of your electric bill goes to pay for nuclear waste management. yucca mountain is good forturne for the DOE contractors probably never open. There is a Souix reservation fighting between themselves to open a depository for "safe' nuclear waste depository. Just what native american s need now.

                I've been by this facility a number of times and it's not a project where they
                are just going to built a brand new facility that hasn't been there before but
                they are expanding current facilites... there are already 2 reactors there and
                they are wanting to add 2 more... the Nuc power plant has been there for years
                between Bay City and Palacious... there hasen't been any problems there so far
                (Thank God) and hopefully that trend will continue... I also hope they come up
                with better ways to deal with the waste.

                Quoting Edward Kramer <onekindr@pdq. net>:

                > Ge' motto-we bring good things to life! As Neutron Jack Welch once
                > said-whats a few PCB's at the bottom of the Pougheepsi River going to hurt.
                > Just think of all those construction jobs and vendor contracts for this
                > project. What good things we bring to life. And just think of the "cheap'
                > electricity that the reactors are going to bring to the people of Houston
                > Texas. From cradle to grave-the nuclear generated electrcity is the most
                > expensive of all electrcity to create. Channel 11 ran a story on this
                > project, claiming electricity generated at nuc is around 1.78 a K/watt to
                > produce. It is typical RePubLiCon reporting, half the facts. Maybe they will
                > get the Nuc classified as RE and sell some REC's to Green Mountain Energy
                > and claim we are helping to curb Global warming. Whats good for GE's pocket
                > is good for the mass.
                > Our country is having trouble storing the existing nuclear waste, and they
                > want to bring "more good things to life". Talk about a target for terrorists!

                believed to be clean.

              • Bashir Syed
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 8, 2006
                  Having served as a Radiation expert for Aerospace/Military Electronic Systems and Components. Very few engineers understand the Physics involved in interaction of various kinds of Radiation with Matter. One least understood phenomenon is the effect on the calibration of monitoring instrument kept in close proximity of the reactors. There was paper published about this subject after the Three Miles accident. The effect on the characherteristics of Linear devices and also on digital components can cause mafunction of these components over a long period of time. Specially the interaction of neutrons with the Silicon can alter the properties and electrical characteristics which can lead to malfunctions. One serious thinng which occurs is the displacement damage caused by neutrons in the material (usuallly stainless steel) which are constantly being bombarded by fission neutrons in the core of the reactor, which cause brittleness of the material of which the pipe is made up of, eventualy causing a crack and escape of highly radioaction waste materials into the other parts where those things are not supposed to be. No matter how the technology advances, one cannot change the basic laws of physics.
                  Second, Radiation is taken very lightly by many folks including physicians who are radiologists. Radiation causes cumulative effects in all systems (whether electronic components or biological  tissues). Even the full body scanners used to scan the passengers at the airports are not safe. Did any one know that even in space there is so much of radiation that the health of astronauts is at high risk. Radiation can cause mutations of chromosomes leading to tumors and leukemia, and even cataracts in the eyes. Already three of our late astronauts diesd of leukemia and one with brain tumor (which the folks not experts in radiation might dismiss it as a chance, but it does have different effect on different tissues in the body). Even the regular Camera film considered to be safe going through X-Ray scanners is tested to be safe by Kodak for Only One pass, not as many passes which most people experience these days changing planes at many airports. Popular Photography had published test results (in I believe around 2000) and showed fogging of the film of about ASA 400 or higher rating. I had published a report and sent to our Senators, but they relied upon one-pass test results p[rovided by Kodak without considering the current scenarios. Even the scanner-operators sitting near the machine are high riskj because of the scattered radiation which escapes through the inlet drapes which are constantly moving around with cuts in the hanging plastic curtains.
                  The government does not want to reveal such problems to the citizens, and these days if a person raise such issues at the airports can be put behind the bar under the new rules of Homeland Security. There are scanners which use neutron sources, and if a person has gold jewellry in the suitcase, he might find them a bit radioactive after exposed to such sources.
                  We are immersed in an ocean of radiation not only at these reactors but the open air testing of nukes since 1940's has left radioactive fall out every-where on this planets, which has increased the occurrence of cancer and tumors all around the world.
                  Then there is RF radiation which too is taken very lightly. The Physics laws governing to wave-mechanics put forth by de Broglie state that energy of photon is is proportional to the frequency of photons. Thus higher frequency or smaller wavelength photons  have more energy and give a higher punch whereever they hit.
                  Nuclear energy is called "clean" by politicians, because they don't have to clean up the mess. But someday the millions of tons of radioactive waste froim nuclear reactors will deteriorate the containers and seep into the soil finally reaching the water table creating a havoc wiothout knowing what killed the people. It's happening and it will increase the incidence of cancer and tumors with time.

                  Bashir A. Syed
                  Retired Aerospace Physicist
                  I worked on a project for ORNL back in the early 1990s that was designed to accelerate the decay of radiation in contaminated concrete.  I worked on the miniaturization of the hardware and found vendors who could build the components.  This type of work is still being done there, from what I understand.

                  Rob Rowland
                  Have you ever been inside a nuclear power plant? The daily radometer tells you todays safety level. I spent time on a soil cleanup technology project at three mile island, and being  inside gives you perspective on whats real and what the public should not know.   Every part of the facility has some sort of radiation. Is that just part of producing a product for the good of man? Do you know that part of your electric bill goes to pay for nuclear waste management. yucca mountain is good forturne for the DOE contractors probably never open. There is a Souix reservation fighting between themselves to open a depository for "safe' nuclear waste depository. Just what native american s need now.

                  I've been by this facility a number of times and it's not a project where they
                  are just going to built a brand new facility that hasn't been there before but
                  they are expanding current facilites... there are already 2 reactors there and
                  they are wanting to add 2 more... the Nuc power plant has been there for years
                  between Bay City and Palacious... there hasen't been any problems there so far
                  (Thank God) and hopefully that trend will continue... I also hope they come up
                  with better ways to deal with the waste.

                  Quoting Edward Kramer <onekindr@pdq. net>:

                  > Ge' motto-we bring good things to life! As Neutron Jack Welch once
                  > said-whats a few PCB's at the bottom of the Pougheepsi River going to hurt.
                  > Just think of all those construction jobs and vendor contracts for this
                  > project. What good things we bring to life. And just think of the "cheap'
                  > electricity that the reactors are going to bring to the people of Houston
                  > Texas. From cradle to grave-the nuclear generated electrcity is the most
                  > expensive of all electrcity to create. Channel 11 ran a story on this
                  > project, claiming electricity generated at nuc is around 1.78 a K/watt to
                  > produce. It is typical RePubLiCon reporting, half the facts. Maybe they will
                  > get the Nuc classified as RE and sell some REC's to Green Mountain Energy
                  > and claim we are helping to curb Global warming. Whats good for GE's pocket
                  > is good for the mass.
                  > Our country is having trouble storing the existing nuclear waste, and they
                  > want to bring "more good things to life". Talk about a target for terrorists!

                  believed to be clean.

                • Robert Johnston
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 8, 2006

                    Bashir, do you have any references to the actual radiation level of airport scanners relative to background cosmic radiation levels?

                    With respect to nuclear waste, perhaps folks have seen the news yesterday about the Bush administration planning to make a deal with Russia to ship nuclear waste to Russia for processing.  Amazing!

                    Robert Johnston

                    I worked on a project for ORNL back in the early 1990s that was designed to accelerate the decay of radiation in contaminated concrete.  I worked on the miniaturization of the hardware and found vendors who could build the components.  This type of work is still being done there, from what I understand.

                    Rob Rowland

                    Have you ever been inside a nuclear power plant? The daily radometer tells you todays safety level. I spent time on a soil cleanup technology project at three mile island, and being  inside gives you perspective on whats real and what the public should not know.   Every part of the facility has some sort of radiation. Is that just part of producing a product for the good of man? Do you know that part of your electric bill goes to pay for nuclear waste management. yucca mountain is good forturne for the DOE contractors probably never open. There is a Souix reservation fighting between themselves to open a depository for "safe' nuclear waste depository. Just what native american s need now.

                    I've been by this facility a number of times and it's not a project where they
                    are just going to built a brand new facility that hasn't been there before but
                    they are expanding current facilites... there are already 2 reactors there and
                    they are wanting to add 2 more... the Nuc power plant has been there for years
                    between Bay City and Palacious... there hasen't been any problems there so far
                    (Thank God) and hopefully that trend will continue... I also hope they come up
                    with better ways to deal with the waste.

                    Quoting Edward Kramer <onekindr@pdq. net>:

                    > Ge' motto-we bring good things to life! As Neutron Jack Welch once
                    > said-whats a few PCB's at the bottom of the Pougheepsi River going to hurt.
                    > Just think of all those construction jobs and vendor contracts for this
                    > project. What good things we bring to life. And just think of the "cheap'
                    > electricity that the reactors are going to bring to the people of Houston
                    > Texas . From cradle to grave-the nuclear generated electrcity is the most
                    > expensive of all electrcity to create. Channel 11 ran a story on this
                    > project, claiming electricity generated at nuc is around 1.78 a K/watt to
                    > produce. It is typical RePubLiCon reporting, half the facts. Maybe they will
                    > get the Nuc classified as RE and sell some REC's to Green Mountain Energy
                    > and claim we are helping to curb Global warming. Whats good for GE's pocket
                    > is good for the mass.
                    > Our country is having trouble storing the existing nuclear waste, and they
                    > want to bring "more good things to life". Talk about a target for terrorists!

                    believed to be clean.

                  • Bashir Syed
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 8, 2006
                      I have a copy of the "Proceedings of the First International Symposium on Explosive Detection Technology November 13-15, 1991, held in Atlantic City, NJ. - DOT/FAA/CT-92/11, FAA Technical Center, Atlantic City International Airport N.J. 08405. I will try to look into it. But asking that question to any one at the airports these days might land him or her at Gitmo without any ifs and buts.
                      After a British study of Concorde Planes interior Radiation Environment about sev years ago discussed in one of the Short Course given at Nuclear and Space Radiation Conference, it came to light (through actual measurements) that High energy protons striking the plane would knock off neutrons in the cabin and their fluence was maximu at the 60,000 feet altitude, which was larming and posed a very serious risk to the flight crew and frequent travelling passengers. The study was repeated for normal passengers jets flying between 30,000 and 35,000 feet altitude was a bit lower but significant, and still posed a health risk to the crew and frequent flkiers. During my recent trip to China, on the way back in flight from Tokyo to Los Angeles, while I was stretching, I met a Korean Professor of Oncology trained at Sloan Kettering Hospital, but now teaching in Korea, and we started talking about this subject. Anm airlines stewardess was listening to our converstion, and she veriofied that FAA had told the crew about the high risk of cancer, to cut down their flying hours. She also told us that she had already been operated for cancerous tumors a shortwhile ago after flying for a number of years and not knowing the risks involved. It's like Eileen Welsome's recent book "PLUTONIUM FILES," which was written after Clinton declassified US-AEC's documents ppertaining to exoperiments carried out for seberal years by Los Alamos scientists on people without their consent, by injecting Plutonium in their bodies and using them as guinea pigs to observe the ill effects of ingesting Plutonium. Even after that study the authorities didn't refrain from using several thousand tons of Depleted Uranium which has killed about 50,000 of our own folks who got contamminated during the Gulf War and Balkan War either by direct contact with contaminated tanks or vehicles or ingesting the DU through inhalation or food chain. The results of fetuses are horrible as they look like monsters. CBS-60-Minutes, Bill Bradley took the cameras to a place in Central Asia where the Soviets had conducted open air tests for several years, and they showed one young man on the cameras, who looked a monster because of the contamination. The hospital wouldn'yt present more cases for fear of reprisals from authorities. Let us face it, RADIATION damages the DNA and chromosomes and produces mutation effects that are very hard to imagine, along with cancers and tumors in living human beings, growing at an alarming rate in Iraq and Balkans, which no one even wants to talk about. It's a shame. But sooner or later it is  going to catch up with us through the soldiers who are being cointaminated during their military duty abroad , and who are never told about such radiation hazards.

                      Bashir A. Syed
> [...]

                      > Just think of all those construction jobs and vendor contracts for this
                      > project. What good things we bring to life. And just think of the "cheap'
                      > electricity that the reactors are going to bring to the people of Houston
                      > Texas . From cradle to grave-the nuclear generated electrcity is the most
                      > expensive of all electrcity to create. Channel 11 ran a story on this
                      > project, claiming electricity generated at nuc is around 1.78 a K/watt to
                      > produce. It is typical RePubLiCon reporting, half the facts. Maybe they will
                      > get the Nuc classified as RE and sell some REC's to Green Mountain Energy
                      > and claim we are helping to curb Global warming. Whats good for GE's pocket
                      > is good for the mass.
                      > Our country is having trouble storing the existing nuclear waste, and they
                      > want to bring "more good things to life". Talk about a target for terrorists!

                      believed to be clean.