Call Congress on Global Warming

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2006
      Call Congress especially if your member of Congress is Sheila Jackson-Lee or Al Green.  Tell the clerk who answers the phone "My name is _________   I'm a constituent calling to ask you to vote for CAFE standards to raise fuel economy."  Vote should be today or in a couple of days.

      Sheila Jackson-Lee (202) 225-3816
      Al Green (202) 225-7508

      If you're not sure who your member of Congress is http://www.house.gov/writerep/

      Sheila Jackson-Lee's District includes much of the inner city, Heights, Montrose, Med Center,  and also northeast, near southeast and northwest.
      Al Green's district is southwest, outside the loop, west of Mykawa, south of Westheimer.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:TX09_109.gif

      From: "Luke Metzger" <luke@...>
      To: <NanHildreth@...>

      Dear Houston Environmental Leaders,

      As you know, increasing the gas mileage of cars and trucks is one of the best things we can do to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases. According to the Union of Concerned Scientists, raising gas mileage to just 33 mpg would reduce global warming pollution by 344 million metric tons and would save drivers
      more than $3,800 in gasoline costs over the life of the vehicle. The current uproar over gas prices gives us one of the best opportunities in years to get Congress to increase mileage standards, but automobile manufacturers are doing everything they can to block action. As early as this week, Representatives Boehlert and Markey will offer an amendment on the floor of the House of Representatives to raise CAFÉ standards to 33 mpg. We expect the vote to be very close, so I’m writing to ask you to call two key swing votes from Houston – Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee and Rep. Al Green. Jackson-Lee has voted against increasing gas mileage standards in the past, but with enough contact from her constituents and Houston leaders she may switch her vote this time. Rep. Green has not yet voted on CAFÉ standards, but his poor performance on environmental issues thus far leaves his vote in doubt. Please call their offices today (phone numbers below) and urge them to support the Boehlert-Markey amendment to raise gas mileage standards. Learn more at: http://www.environmenttexas.org/energy/fuel-efficient-cars.

      Sincerely,

      Luke Metzger
      Environment Texas

      Sheila Jackson-Lee (202) 225-3816
      Al Green (202) 225-7508

      Letter to Editor in Houston Chronicle: http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editorial/outlook/3852038.html

      Like cutting fuel costs in half

      WITH gas prices once again on the rise, members of Congress are rushing to propose everything from $100 rebate checks to opening our beautiful coasts to drilling. Yet Americans are rejecting these false solutions ­ they won't reduce our dependence on oil. The real solution is to make cars go farther on a gallon of gas. Currently available technology would allow us to nearly double average gas mileage to 40 mpg, and for a family's budget, that would be like cutting the price of gas in half. Raising gas mileage standards to 40 mpg would also cut 600 million tons of global warming pollution. And we'd save more than eight times as much oil as we imported from Iraq in 2004. Our congressional representatives should support legislation to raise our gas mileage standards.

      LUKE METZGER Environment Texas, Austin

      ***We have moved! Please note my new address and phone number****

      Luke Metzger
      Advocate
      Environment Texas: The New Home of TexPIRG's environmental work
      1009 West Sixth Street
      Suite 208
      Austin, Texas 78703
      (512) 479-0388
      (512) 479-0400 fax
      www.EnvironmentTexas.org

      Nan Hildreth, 713-842-6643 NanHildreth@...
      3939 Luca St.  Houston, Tx 77021

      "Life is a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable."
      Helen Keller