RE: [hreg] ICF open house

  • n/ a
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006

      LOL.  poor thing.

      you don't need the industry to tell you the differences, and then tout their findings.  do your own homework.

      geeze.

      From: "Kathleen Carrier" <kathleencarrier@...>
      To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [hreg] ICF open house
      Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 23:01:02 -0500

      We are having another ICF open house.? See attached.? We are working closely with Icynene to create energy calculations that compare the house with ICF/Icynene insulation to the same house built with a wood frame and batt insulation.? When the final numbers are in, I?ll be happy to share.? Looks like energy costs will be between half to a third of traditional construction.

      ?

      Talked with the Icynene installer a bit today ? their business is growing like crazy.?

      ?

      Hope to see some of you at the open house.? Please come say hi to me.? (but only if you want to say nice things)

      ?

      Kathleen Carrier

      ?

      ?

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      ><< ghwebemail.jpg >>

    • Gary Beck
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2006

        I would be interested in the cost and thermal performance difference between wood frame/icynene insulation and wood frame/batt insulation.

        From: "Kathleen Carrier" <kathleencarrier@...>
        To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 23:01:02 -0500

        We are having another ICF open house.? See attached.? We are working closely with Icynene to create energy calculations that compare the house with ICF/Icynene insulation to the same house built with a wood frame and batt insulation.? When the final numbers are in, I?ll be happy to share.? Looks like energy costs will be between half to a third of traditional construction.

        ?

        Talked with the Icynene installer a bit today ? their business is growing like crazy.?

        ?

        Hope to see some of you at the open house.? Please come say hi to me. ? (but only if you want to say nice things)

        ?

        Kathleen Carrier

        ?

        ?

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        ><< ghwebemail.jpg >>

      • n/ a
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2006

          performance is a relative term.  and it depends on, for example, how you build the structure....i.e. 2x4 or 2x6 outside wall frame, what will be the facade of the house, brick, stucco, wood, hardy, or steel...

          and then there is insulation rating vs. performance/effective insulation.

          then there are costs differences...   batt costs vs. foam costs, which are substantially different...   though it depends on what your contractors bid to you.

          another example, there is now a 21 rated batt that is designed to fit a 2x6 stud wall w/o any compression of the batt.  and is insignificantly more expensive than an r19 batt which will be compressed  when placed in the wall.

          batt on the one hand is a tried and true method when properly installed in wood frame.  foam is relatively new, is not supposed to off gas (water based), might possibly make for a better seal, very expensive.

          position of the house is also a variable factor.   under trees? how much glass on your east, west, south and north sides? etc etc etc. overhangs on your west or southern exposures?

          there is no, per se, apples and apples performance number, only one in context with all the other working parts.

          i'm just finishing a house with the following.

          two story 5400 sq feet.

          outside walls 2x6 with r21 batt, plus 1/2 inch decking, plus weathershield, plus r4 foam panel, plus galvalume panel finish.

          attic is double batt..2x r19 for a total of r38

          roof is also gavalume.

          crawlspace is r 19.

          first month electricity bill running it an average of 65 degrees 24/7 was $300.00    no lights yet installed or appliances.  so it was purely an a/c bill.

          downstairs starting at 65 degrees during the day, with workers coming in and out, and the thermstat set for 75, the temperature moved from 65 to 69 between the hours of 8am and 4pm.  similar story upstairs but add 3 degrees.

          house window glass is .22 solar heat gain rated on rehau extrusions, steel reinforced vinyl.  house has 1000 square feet of glass.

          total insulation package including sealing was $8000.00

          this is a house that will pay itself back in up front costs for the entire life cycle.

          it is also a solar ready house, once a financial case can be made for adding a solar system to it.  until then, everything else has been pre designed for one.

          hope that helps.

          JG

          From: "Gary Beck" <eco@...>
          To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
          Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 14:20:38 -0500

          From: "Kathleen Carrier" <kathleencarrier@...>
          To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
          Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 23:01:02 -0500

          We are having another ICF open house.? See attached.? We are working closely with Icynene to create energy calculations that compare the house with ICF/Icynene insulation to the same house built with a wood frame and batt insulation.? When the final numbers are in, I?ll be happy to share.? Looks like energy costs will be between half to a third of traditional construction.

          ?

          Talked with the Icynene installer a bit today ? their business is growing like crazy.?

          ?

          Hope to see some of you at the open house.? Please come say hi to me.? (but only if you want to say nice things)

          ?

          Kathleen Carrier

          ?

          ?

          ?

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          ?

          ?

          ?

          ><< ghwebemail.jpg >>

          ?

          Renewable energyRenewable energy resourcesRenewable energy sources
          Renewable energy systemRenewable energy newsHouston texas

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Gary Beck
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 8, 2006

            Thanks, I should have asked if anyone knows a resource that has test-compared wood frame/icynene insulation and wood frame/batt insulation.

            With basic thermal data a program like DOE’s Rezcheck (free) can model thermal performance, but it has no cost comparison aspects.

            From: "Gary Beck" <eco@...>
            To: < hreg@yahoogroups.com >
            Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 14:20:38 -0500

            From: "Kathleen Carrier" <kathleencarrier@...>