Re: [hreg] Compact Fluorescents

  • ChasMauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 19, 2000
      Great idea, marge! Maybe we should get more details about the power company
      in NY that sold the CFs as an energy-saving promotion and approach HL&P (aka
      Reliant Energy or Verizon or whatever) and ask them to do the same thing. If
      they can pay $300 million for the naming rights on an arena just for
      publicity (although why a monopoly needs to advertise is beyone me) they
      should be able to do this.

      Also, I heard that the city of Austin will pay to have cars there converted
      to run on natural gas which is a lot cheaper and cleaner than gasoline and
      improves the air quality. This usually costs about $2,000. Also heard that
      you could get it done even if you are from out of town if you have a friend
      who lives in Austin. Can any of our Austin friends tell us if this is true?
      Charlie Mauch
    • Robert Johnston
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 19, 2000
        It would be nice if HL&P would have a rebate program of some kind.
        Incidentally, I'm still looking for the best place to buy CF's. I
        just found an even better deal online than the one I mentioned
        before. Looks like www.energyguide.com has them really cheap. I
        can get a dimmable CF for half the cost of what RealGoods charges
        for the same thing. A 23W TechnaBright dimmable SpringLight
        (1500 lumens or close to a 100W bulb) is only $12.75. A Harmony
        20W standard CF (non-dimmable) is equivalent to a 75W incandescent
        and only costs $7.25! If you figure that during its 10,000 hr lifetime
        you would buy 10 incandescents at $0.25 each, that means the cost is
        only $4.75. You'll recover that in energy savings at $0.08/kwh in
        just 1080 hours, or probably in less than one year. The other 9000
        hours worth of savings will be gravy.

        At the www.energyguide.com website, they say that several utilities
        offer 2 for 1 instant rebates when you purchase from them. However,
        HL&P was not one of them. Perhaps this is something we could interest
        them in doing, if they don't want to do the same deal as the New York
        utility? From my calculations above, it is obvious that if they do
        a 2 for 1 instant rebate, then consumers can buy these bulbs for almost
        the cost of the equivalent lifetime incandescents. The energy savings
        will all be pure profit then--for both the consumer and the environment.

        I like the idea of HREG buying in bulk if there are enough interested
        members. I don't know if we can do any better than www.energyguide.com.
        Does anyone know of better deals?

        If we really wanted to be ambitious, we could import them. I see that
        they are mostly made in China. I looked at some China websites and see
        where they sell what looks like the same bulb as I bought labeled
        SpringLamp. They are sold wholesale in cases of 100. I have no idea
        what the markup is, but if www.energyguide.com is selling them for half
        of what RealGoods is, then perhaps we can estimate another 50% reduction
        possible if we imported? I have no idea what would be involved in
        importation, but suspect it might be more hassle than it is worth. On
        the other hand, maybe a useful fundraiser?

        Anyway, again, I'm still interested in suggestions from others as to the
        best
        places (online or offline) to buy CF's cheaply.

        Robert Johnston

      • drocketman@juno.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 19, 2000
          Robert,
          I have a house full of compact fluorescents: three types of globes, a
          bullet, some sticks, spirals and floods. The highest equivalent wattage
          being a spiral wound at 150w equivalent output for 32w expense by Lights
          of America sold at Walmart. None that I have are dimmable. The bullets
          are in ceiling fans and some wall mounts and globes are in bathroom
          lights and hanging lamps for their aesthetic match. The floods are in
          recessed lighting. The sticks are in shaded lamps and the spirals are
          the most recent additions in covered ceiling fixtures (being the only
          ones that fit with a high enough light output for me) garage and closets.
          I put the 75w equiv bulb in place of 60 watt incandescents. The spirals
          seem to be the best deal on cost. Walmart has sold all 4 sizes
          (60/75/100/150watt equiv.) for the same price, $7.96 each. Though I did
          get a couple of them clearanced inexplicably for $5 each. My
          conservative count puts the total number of compact fluorescents in my
          house now in use at 53 bulbs. The initial installation was 28 globes and
          8 to 10 bullets about 6 to 8 years ago. This only includes the compact
          fluorescents and does not include u-tubes, circline or regular
          fluorescents. In the eight years of operation, I have replaced about 6-8
          globes, 2-3 bullets, 3 sticks, a couple of floods and one spiral. The GE
          90w equiv. sticks have been the least reliable. I have no experience and
          so no suggestion on the dimmables other than I see no need to complicate
          the design of the bulb most probably at the expense of life and
          reliability, and instead, suggest turning only part of the bulbs on
          instead of dimming all. I have recently appreciated the spirals because
          of their low cost and small size, fitting into enclosed glass fixtures
          and hidden behind standard open glass ceiling fixtures. I still rely on
          globe types as a drop in for globe type bulbs like in bathrooms and
          hanging lamps. I especially like them for the bathrooms where I have
          banks of 6, 8 and 12 globes and the low heat and increased light (60w
          equiv compared to the 40w incandescent) is really a plus. My favorite
          globe is the GE brand FLG16/E also sold by Panasonic as the Light Capsule
          EFG16LE. I don't know how available these are now since I haven't bought
          any in several years... haven't had to because none have failed. I have
          two spares still in their boxes and they are my most reliable compact
          fluorescent. They are very lightweight and compact making them more like
          the incandescent 40w they replaced. Because of this, they do not stress
          the bathroom fixture near as much as the other globe types. They are
          almost instant on, much more silent and longer life than any of the other
          globes I have used. It was typically $16 a bulb, but in my estimation,
          worth it over the others. I did get some of them for $5 each clearanced.

          Dennis

          On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:19:19 -0600 "Robert Johnston"
          <rjohnsto@...> writes:
          > Anybody have suggestions on the best place to buy compact
          > fluorescents?
          > They tend to be expensive up-front, so I'd like to buy them as
          > cheaply
          > as possible. Efficienthome.com was the cheapest place I could find
          > online.
          > For example, I can buy a 23W regular spiral lamp for $12 or a 23W
          > dimmable
          > spiral lamp for $21 (www.efficenthome.com/spiral.htm). They also
          > offer free
          > shipping and 10% discounts on $200 purchases. Do you think I should
          > go this
          > route, or is there a better outfit to go with? What brand do you
          > recommend
          > as the best for dimmable compact fluorescents, that can be used
          > inside
          > enclosed
          > glass fixtures?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Robert Johnston
          > rjohnsto@...

        • Jim & Kathi Syzdek
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 20, 2000
            Robert,
            In Houston, Home Depot has the Twisters by G.E. for around $9.00ea. They
            are the cheapest I have seen locally.

            Jim

            >From: "Robert Johnston" <rjohnsto@...>
            >To: <hreg@egroups.com>
            >Subject: [hreg] Compact Fluorescents
            >Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:19:19 -0600
            >
            >Anybody have suggestions on the best place to buy compact fluorescents?
            >They tend to be expensive up-front, so I'd like to buy them as cheaply
            >as possible. Efficienthome.com was the cheapest place I could find online.
            >For example, I can buy a 23W regular spiral lamp for $12 or a 23W dimmable
            >spiral lamp for $21 (www.efficenthome.com/spiral.htm). They also offer
            >free
            >shipping and 10% discounts on $200 purchases. Do you think I should go
            >this
            >route, or is there a better outfit to go with? What brand do you recommend
            >as the best for dimmable compact fluorescents, that can be used inside
            >enclosed
            >glass fixtures?
            >
            >Thanks!
            >
            >Robert Johnston
            >rjohnsto@...

            http://profiles.msn.com
          • Steve Stelzer
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 20, 2000
              Robert, check out the CF's at IKEA. They may not be exactly apples to
              apples for the unit you are talking about. IKEA is basically subsidizing
              CF's because they are in the $5.00 range.

              Steve Stelzer

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 20, 2000
                Please remove me from this email list.
                Paul