Re: [hreg] Compact Fluorescents

  • Marjorie N Wood
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 19, 2000
      I think a bunch of us should get together and get a huge batch of CFs and
      sell them at cost to ourselves. I heard that Home Depot has them but
      haven't been lately. In New York, their utility made some sort of deal
      with a couple of mfrs of CFs and sold them to their utility customers for
      $1 and $2. It was part of their promo for energy efficiency.
      Marge Wood

    • ChasMauch@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 19, 2000
        Great idea, marge! Maybe we should get more details about the power company
        in NY that sold the CFs as an energy-saving promotion and approach HL&P (aka
        Reliant Energy or Verizon or whatever) and ask them to do the same thing. If
        they can pay $300 million for the naming rights on an arena just for
        publicity (although why a monopoly needs to advertise is beyone me) they
        should be able to do this.

        Also, I heard that the city of Austin will pay to have cars there converted
        to run on natural gas which is a lot cheaper and cleaner than gasoline and
        improves the air quality. This usually costs about $2,000. Also heard that
        you could get it done even if you are from out of town if you have a friend
        who lives in Austin. Can any of our Austin friends tell us if this is true?
        Charlie Mauch
      • Robert Johnston
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 19, 2000
          It would be nice if HL&P would have a rebate program of some kind.
          Incidentally, I'm still looking for the best place to buy CF's. I
          just found an even better deal online than the one I mentioned
          before. Looks like www.energyguide.com has them really cheap. I
          can get a dimmable CF for half the cost of what RealGoods charges
          for the same thing. A 23W TechnaBright dimmable SpringLight
          (1500 lumens or close to a 100W bulb) is only $12.75. A Harmony
          20W standard CF (non-dimmable) is equivalent to a 75W incandescent
          and only costs $7.25! If you figure that during its 10,000 hr lifetime
          you would buy 10 incandescents at $0.25 each, that means the cost is
          only $4.75. You'll recover that in energy savings at $0.08/kwh in
          just 1080 hours, or probably in less than one year. The other 9000
          hours worth of savings will be gravy.

          At the www.energyguide.com website, they say that several utilities
          offer 2 for 1 instant rebates when you purchase from them. However,
          HL&P was not one of them. Perhaps this is something we could interest
          them in doing, if they don't want to do the same deal as the New York
          utility? From my calculations above, it is obvious that if they do
          a 2 for 1 instant rebate, then consumers can buy these bulbs for almost
          the cost of the equivalent lifetime incandescents. The energy savings
          will all be pure profit then--for both the consumer and the environment.

          I like the idea of HREG buying in bulk if there are enough interested
          members. I don't know if we can do any better than www.energyguide.com.
          Does anyone know of better deals?

          If we really wanted to be ambitious, we could import them. I see that
          they are mostly made in China. I looked at some China websites and see
          where they sell what looks like the same bulb as I bought labeled
          SpringLamp. They are sold wholesale in cases of 100. I have no idea
          what the markup is, but if www.energyguide.com is selling them for half
          of what RealGoods is, then perhaps we can estimate another 50% reduction
          possible if we imported? I have no idea what would be involved in
          importation, but suspect it might be more hassle than it is worth. On
          the other hand, maybe a useful fundraiser?

          Anyway, again, I'm still interested in suggestions from others as to the
          best
          places (online or offline) to buy CF's cheaply.

          Robert Johnston

        • drocketman@juno.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 19, 2000
            Robert,
            I have a house full of compact fluorescents: three types of globes, a
            bullet, some sticks, spirals and floods. The highest equivalent wattage
            being a spiral wound at 150w equivalent output for 32w expense by Lights
            of America sold at Walmart. None that I have are dimmable. The bullets
            are in ceiling fans and some wall mounts and globes are in bathroom
            lights and hanging lamps for their aesthetic match. The floods are in
            recessed lighting. The sticks are in shaded lamps and the spirals are
            the most recent additions in covered ceiling fixtures (being the only
            ones that fit with a high enough light output for me) garage and closets.
            I put the 75w equiv bulb in place of 60 watt incandescents. The spirals
            seem to be the best deal on cost. Walmart has sold all 4 sizes
            (60/75/100/150watt equiv.) for the same price, $7.96 each. Though I did
            get a couple of them clearanced inexplicably for $5 each. My
            conservative count puts the total number of compact fluorescents in my
            house now in use at 53 bulbs. The initial installation was 28 globes and
            8 to 10 bullets about 6 to 8 years ago. This only includes the compact
            fluorescents and does not include u-tubes, circline or regular
            fluorescents. In the eight years of operation, I have replaced about 6-8
            globes, 2-3 bullets, 3 sticks, a couple of floods and one spiral. The GE
            90w equiv. sticks have been the least reliable. I have no experience and
            so no suggestion on the dimmables other than I see no need to complicate
            the design of the bulb most probably at the expense of life and
            reliability, and instead, suggest turning only part of the bulbs on
            instead of dimming all. I have recently appreciated the spirals because
            of their low cost and small size, fitting into enclosed glass fixtures
            and hidden behind standard open glass ceiling fixtures. I still rely on
            globe types as a drop in for globe type bulbs like in bathrooms and
            hanging lamps. I especially like them for the bathrooms where I have
            banks of 6, 8 and 12 globes and the low heat and increased light (60w
            equiv compared to the 40w incandescent) is really a plus. My favorite
            globe is the GE brand FLG16/E also sold by Panasonic as the Light Capsule
            EFG16LE. I don't know how available these are now since I haven't bought
            any in several years... haven't had to because none have failed. I have
            two spares still in their boxes and they are my most reliable compact
            fluorescent. They are very lightweight and compact making them more like
            the incandescent 40w they replaced. Because of this, they do not stress
            the bathroom fixture near as much as the other globe types. They are
            almost instant on, much more silent and longer life than any of the other
            globes I have used. It was typically $16 a bulb, but in my estimation,
            worth it over the others. I did get some of them for $5 each clearanced.

            Dennis

            <rjohnsto@...> writes:
            > Anybody have suggestions on the best place to buy compact
            > fluorescents?
            > They tend to be expensive up-front, so I'd like to buy them as
            > cheaply
            > as possible. Efficienthome.com was the cheapest place I could find
            > online.
            > For example, I can buy a 23W regular spiral lamp for $12 or a 23W
            > dimmable
            > spiral lamp for $21 (www.efficenthome.com/spiral.htm). They also
            > offer free
            > shipping and 10% discounts on $200 purchases. Do you think I should
            > go this
            > route, or is there a better outfit to go with? What brand do you
            > recommend
            > as the best for dimmable compact fluorescents, that can be used
            > inside
            > enclosed
            > glass fixtures?
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Robert Johnston
            > rjohnsto@...

          • Jim & Kathi Syzdek
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 20, 2000
              Robert,
              In Houston, Home Depot has the Twisters by G.E. for around $9.00ea. They
              are the cheapest I have seen locally.

              Jim

              >From: "Robert Johnston" <rjohnsto@...>
              >To: <hreg@egroups.com>
              >Subject: [hreg] Compact Fluorescents
              >Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:19:19 -0600
              >
              >Anybody have suggestions on the best place to buy compact fluorescents?
              >They tend to be expensive up-front, so I'd like to buy them as cheaply
              >as possible. Efficienthome.com was the cheapest place I could find online.
              >For example, I can buy a 23W regular spiral lamp for $12 or a 23W dimmable
              >spiral lamp for $21 (www.efficenthome.com/spiral.htm). They also offer
              >free
              >shipping and 10% discounts on $200 purchases. Do you think I should go
              >this
              >route, or is there a better outfit to go with? What brand do you recommend
              >as the best for dimmable compact fluorescents, that can be used inside
              >enclosed
              >glass fixtures?
              >
              >Thanks!
              >
              >Robert Johnston
              >rjohnsto@...

              http://profiles.msn.com
            • Steve Stelzer
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 20, 2000
                Robert, check out the CF's at IKEA. They may not be exactly apples to
                apples for the unit you are talking about. IKEA is basically subsidizing
                CF's because they are in the $5.00 range.

                Steve Stelzer

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 20, 2000
                  Please remove me from this email list.
                  Paul