Mini-split AC system

  • glen grace
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2006
      While I'm throwing my two cents in let me get on my soapbox about another item I am very useful. It is called a "Mini-split AC Unit".

      When I enquired about them from my local AC men, I got 3 replies: A) I don't know what you are talking about, B) They don't work well (see answer A), or C) They are too costly. The only valid answer is A.

      One of my reasons for pitching the Mini units is that you can install one in each room and turn it off when not in use (zoning, only better). They come in all sizes with or without heatpumps.

      I have have 5 of them installed currently with more planned as I finish more areas.

      You don't lose the use of a window, they don't protrude and look unsightly or offer access to burgulars like a window unit does. They are almost silent, can be programmed and controlled with a remote. Are available in  110 or 220 volt.

      They also allow me to AC an older house without tearing up plaster walls and to do it one unit at a time rather than biting the bullet for a huge central unit. And if one quits, I am not out of AC all over the house.

      If you are not familiar with it, do a web search (Mini-split AC) for loads of info. A mini system is a two piece unit. The outside unit, depending on BTU's, is about 14 inches wide X 24 inches tall x 30 inches long. The inside unit is about 12 inches thick X 12 inches tall X 36 inches long/

      The units come slightly overcharged with refrig gas and with wiring harness with color coded wires. You hang the inside unit on the wall, make a hole through the wall about 2 inches in dia. and connect the wires and copper tubing (fitting are already attached) and run them to the outside unit, run a 1/2 inch pvc tube for condensation from the inside unit to outside through the same hole.  Connect the wires and tubing, and open the outlet  to push some gas through the system and tighten the return line. Plug or wire the power cord in and you're up and running.

      If you're half way handy, you can do it all yourself. The 1st one took me a little while, the others about 2 hours each.

      Amen, Geln Grace.