RE: [hreg] Grid tie anywhere.........

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 50 , May 17, 2006
      11:07am, n/ a wrote:

      > LOL... what's negative about reality? those are the facts. do some homework and do some cost analysis.

      "What's negative about reality?" That's a glass half empty/half full
      argument.
      And I have done my homework.

      > and since you do not know what a waffle wall icf is vs and solid pour,
      > that tells me, you havne't done any homework at all yet.

      I know what the difference between a waffle wall and a solid wall. In fact,
      I went as far as to name a vendor that sells a waffle wall ICF. That tells
      me that you didn't read what I wrote thoroughly.

      > calling me a fact based, but calling me negative is rather meaningless.
      > like if i called you stupid, that wouldn't say much about how uneducated
      > you are on the sugject, now would it?

      I didn't call you "a fact based[sic]." I said that you left out facts. And
      since you left out positive facts about the technology in question, you
      presented a negative picture of said technology.

      No, if you called me stupid, you would be resorting to an ad hominem attack.

      Paul

      > ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      > From: Paul Archer <tigger@...>
      > To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: RE: [hreg] Grid tie anywhere.........
      > Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 09:13:51 -0500 (CDT)
      >
      > 8:31am, n/ a wrote:
      >
      > > btw.. ICF is another oversold proposition.? degradation of foam insulating value is never mentioned.?
      > waffle walls are extrememly
      > > dangerous if improperly installed (venturi fire hazard).? and depending on relative costs, a 2x6
      > exterior frame with non compressed
      > > r21 batt, with r38batt or higher in the attic and a galvalume skin will get you far further along than
      > icf, but using methods
      > > builder's do understand.? window glass itself is rarely sold in texas at a .22 solar heat gain, yet it
      > is available easily.? why?
      > > because most windows on the market are installed per market demand.? nobody is asking for these
      > products, hence they are not easily
      > > found or provided at a reasonable cost.? the building industry serves? its marketplace.?? what is
      > desireable is not yet part of that
      > > marketplace to a degree making it "easy".
      > >

      > So, what are the facts on degradation of polystyrene in ICFs? And what ICFs
      > produce waffle walls? The only one I know of is Amazon Grid Wall in Austin,
      > but as it uses a concrete/polystyrene composite rather than straight
      > polystyrene, I doubt it behaves the same as most ICFs.
      > And, as you seem wont to do, you've left out half the picture with ICFs.
      > Insulation is only--actually, less than--half the picture. There's thermal
      > mass; strength; fire, termite, and storm resistance as well.
      >
      > Most builders understand stick frame construction, so that's the way we
      > should build, instead of using new methods and materials. Uh huh. And most
      > biologists understand working in wet labs, so they should ignore all that
      > new-fangled computer modelling and such, too.
      >
      > So, let me ask you something: are you dedicated to the proposition of
      > playing devil's advocate, or do you just like being negative?
      >
      > Paul

      There are two major products that come out of
      Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this
      to be a coincidence. - Jeremy S. Anderson
    • Paul Archer
      Message 50 of 50 , May 17, 2006