Fuel Cell Information sources
Fuel Cells: References, Links and Bibliography
Books Journal Articles Museums Websites
If you know of particular sources of fuel cell information not listed below please be sure to tell us and, if possible, send a copy.
- Appleby, A. John. Fuel Cell Handbook. New York: Van Reinhold Co., 1989.
- Blomen, Leo, and Michael Mugerwa. Fuel Cell Systems. New York: Plenum Press, 1993.
- Breeze, Paul. Power Generation Technologies: Evaluating the Cost of Electricity. London: Financial Times Energy, 1998.
- Hacker, Barton C. and James M. Grimwood. On the Shoulders of Titans: a history of Project Gemini. NASA: Washington, DC, 1977.
- Kordesch, Karl, and Günter Simader. Fuel Cells and Their Applications. New York: VCH, 1996.
- Linden, David. Handbook of Batteries and Fuel
Cells. New York: McGraw-Hill, about 1984.
- Lischka, J. R. Ludwig Mond and the British alkali industry. New York: Garland, 1985.
- Norbeck, Joseph. Hydrogen Fuel for Surface Transportation. Warrendale, PA: Society of Automotive Engineers, about 1996.
- Ostwald, Wilhelm. Electrochemistry: History and Theory. Translated by N. P. Date. New Delhi: Amerind for the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation, 1980.
- Young, George J., ed. Fuel Cells, 2 volumes. New York: Reinhold Publishing Corp., V1 - 1959, V2 - 1961). Both volumes reprint papers given at symposia in 1959 and 1961, respectively.
- U.S. Department of Energy. Fuel Cells for the 21st Century: Collaboration for a Leap in Efficiency and Cost Reduction. Morgantown, WV: US DoE, 1999.
- Wendel, Charles H. The Allis-Chalmers Story. Sarasota, Florida: Crestline Publishing Co., 1988.
- Alder Wright, Charles R. and C. Thompson. "Note on the Development of Voltaic Electricity by Atmospheric Oxidation of Combustible Gasses and other Substances." Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, 1889, V.46.
- American Gas Journal. May 1961. Guide to Fuel Cell Technology." P 29. (good list of references).
- Appleby, A. John. The Electrochemical Engine for Vehicles. Scientific American. July 1999. P 74.
- Bacon, Francis T. and T. M. Fry. "Review Lecture: The Development and Practical Application of Fuel Cells." Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series A, Mathematical and Physical Sciences, 25 September 1973, V.334, #1599 P. 431.
- Baur, Emil, and H. Preis. Zeitschrift für Elektrochemie. 1937. V 43. P 727.
- Baur, Emil, and J. Tobler. Zeitschrift für
Elektrochemie. 1933. V 39. P 169.
- Borchers, W. "Direct production of electricity from coal and combustible gasses." Translation, Electrical Review (London), 23 November 1894, v.35, #887.
- Dornheim, Michael A. "Helios breakup review." Aviation Week & Space Technology. 27 September 2004. P. 59.
- Douglas, David L. Advances in Basic Sciences: 1. Fuel Cells. Electrical Engineering. September 1959.
- Douglas, David L., and Herman A. Liebhafsky. Fuel Cells: History, Operation and Applications. Physics Today. June 1960. P 26.
- Dyer, Christopher K. Replacing the Battery in Portable Electronics. Scientific American. July 1999. P 88.
- Editor. "The Jacques Carbon Generator." The
Electrical Review, 26 June 1896, V 38, N 970, P 826.
- Elmore, G. V. and H. A. Tanner. "Intermediate Temperature Fuel Cells." Journal of The Electrochemical Society. 1961.
- Fairley, Peter, and Alex Scott. "Competing to Fuel the Fuel Cells." Chemical Week. New York. 5 May 1999.
- Fellows, Lawrence. "British Fuel Cell Runs a Lift Truck" The New York Times. 25 August 1959. P. 6.
- Grove, William R. On a Gas Voltaic Battery. Proceedings of the Royal Society. 1843. PP 268-78, 346-54, 422-432.
- Grove, William R. On a Gaseous Voltaic Battery. Philosophical Magazine and Journal of Science. 1842. V 21. P 417-20.
- Grove, William R. On Voltaic Series and the Combination of Gases by Platinum. Philosophical Magazine and Journal of Science. 1839. V 14. P 127.
- Grove, William R. On a new Voltaic Combination.
Philosophical Magazine and Journal of Science.
December 1838. V 13. P 430.
- Hunt, L. B. The first fuel cell. Platinum Metals Review. 1978. 22:43.
- Jacoby, Mitch. "New Fuel Cells Run Directly on Methane." Chemical & Engineering News; Washington; Aug 16, 1999.
- Ketelaar, J. A. A. "History." Leo J. M. J. Blomen and Michael N. Mugerwa, ed. Fuel Cell Systems. New York: Plenum Press, 1993. P. 24.
- Kordesch, Karl V. "25 Years of Fuel Cell Development (1951-1976)." Journal of the Electrochemical Society. March 1978. P. 77c.
- Kragh, Helge. "Confusion and Controversy: Nineteenth-Century Theories of the Voltaic Pile." F. Bevilacqua and L. Fregonese, eds. Nuova Voltiana: Studies on Volta and his Times, 2000, V. 1, P. 133.
- Liebhafsky, Herman A. Fuel Cells. International Science and Technology. January 1962. P 54.
- Liebhafsky, Herman A., and E. J. Cairns. Hydrocarbon
Fuel Cells: A Survey. Presentation to the American
Institute of Electrical Engineers 1962 Pacific Energy
Conversion Conference. 12-16 August 1962. San Francisco (GE
- Lloyd, Alan C. The Power Plant in Your Basement. Scientific American. July 1999. P 80.
- Maio, Pat. "Driving Force." Wall Street Journal (Eastern Edition). 13 September 1999. V 234. Issue 51. P R8.
- Mond, Ludwig, and Carl Langer. Proceedings of the Royal Society 1889. V 46. P 296.
- Nixon, Will. "Back to the future." Amicus Journal. Fall 1999. V 21. Issue 2. P 17.
- Ostwald, Wilhelm. Zeitschrift für Elektrochemie. 1894. V 1. P 122.
- Reed, C. J. "Gas Batteries." Electrical World,
v.25, 6 April 1895, P. 419, and 20 April 1895, P. 482.
- Rhodin, John G. A. "Can the heat of combustion of coal be turned directly into electric energy?" The Engineer (London). 23 July 1926. V. 142. P. 80.
- Service, Robert F. "New Tigers in the Fuel Cell Tank." Science. 16 June 2000. V 288. P 1955.
- Srinivasan, Supramaniam. "Fuel Cells for Extraterrestrial and Terrestrial Applications." Journal of the Electrochemical Society. February 1989, p 41c.
- Staff. "Cleaner and Quieter Electrical Generator Seen in Five Years" Wall Street Journal, 14 September 1959, P 8.
- Warshay, Marvin, and Paul R. Prokopius. The fuel cell in space: yesterday, today and tomorrow. NASA-TM-102366 E-5084 NAS 1.15:102366.
- Williams, K. R. Francis Thomas Bacon, 21 December 1904--24 May 1992. Biographical Memoirs of the Fellows of the Royal Society. 1994. 39:3-18.
- W.T.C. The Union Carbide Fuel Cell System: A Brief Description. 13 September 1966. Union Carbide Corporation.
- Yaeger, Ernest. "Fuel Cells." Science. New Series. 20 October 1961. V. 134. #3486. P. 1178
The links below will take you to sites that are not on the Smithsonian server. Activating any of these links should open the target site in a new browser window. Just close that new window to return to the Fuel Cell website.
These links are provided for educational purposes and for the convenience of those visiting the Smithsonian Fuel Cell website. Listing of a link does not constitute an endorsement by the Smithsonian Institution of a site, its content, or any product or service.
- Ballard Power Systems Inc.
- Bonneville Power Administration
- Corrosion Doctors.Org (Who's Who in Electrochemistry)
- Fuel Cell Energy
- Fuel Cell Today
- Fuel Cells 2000
- GE Energy
- Ion Power, Inc.
- National Fuel Cell Research Center
- NexTech Materials, Ltd.
- Nuvera Fuel Cells
- Platinum Metals Review
- Plug Power, Inc.
- REB Research & Consulting (list of fuel cell links)
- Schatz Energy Research Center
- SOFCo-EFS Holdings LLC
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- U.S. Department of Energy
- U.S. Fuel Cell Council
- University of Bath (Finding aid for Francis Bacon papers.)
©2006 Smithsonian Institution