RE: [hreg] Next HREG Meeting

  • Lafleur, Oral
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 17, 2000
      December 3rd is good with me.

      Oral
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Jonathan Clemens [mailto:jclem412@...]
      Sent: Friday, November 17, 2000 11:53 AM
      To: hreg@egroups.com
      Subject: [hreg] Next HREG Meeting

      HREG,

      We are approaching our regularly scheduled General Meeting date (November 26).  Due to special circumstances, I would like to propose that we move the meeting to December 3, the following Sunday.  Our VP, Oral Lafleur, will be out of town through November 27, the 26th is on Thanksgiving weekend (many may be out of town), and the December 3 date is good for our featured speaker, Mack Mansfield, from HL&P.

      A preliminary agenda:

      2:00    Open Discussion
                  re: Jonathan's trip to NREL
                  re: Roundup Report, etc.
      2:30    Featured Speaker - Mack Mansfield (HL&P)
                  re: Deregulation and related impacts
                  re: PV in the electric industry
      3:30    Business Items - Planning (website update, etc.)
      4:00    Wrap-up

      To be fair, I am putting this proposed date change to a vote.  Regardless of the outcome, I will be glad to hold a meeting on Sunday November 26, but the logistics will be difficult without Oral around to open up the meeting room (2nd floor of the School of Technology at TSU).

      So, I presume the date change to December 3 is acceptable unless I hear from any of you that the change is a problem.  In the absence of positive support for the December 3 meeting date, I will make arrangements for a November 26 meeting.

      I see the process going this way.  First, members voice problems with the change.  Second, if other members see the problems, they may offer up support for the December 3 date.  Third, with lack of support for the change (that is, with a preponderance of support for keeping the original date), I will proceed with the scheduled date of November 26.

      In legal schmegal terms, preponderance means more so than not.  That is, if 50% or more of the comments support the 26th, then we stay with it.

      Thank you.

      Jonathan A. Clemens
      (281) 335-1155

    • Becky Merritt
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 17, 2000
        I can't make it Dec 3. I took a gig in Louisiana that weekend.

        Becky
      • ChasMauch@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 17, 2000
          Hello everyone,
          Whenever we decide on the date for the next meeting, we need to be sure to
          have it included in the CEC weekly update to see if we can attract some new
          members. The latest edition of the update is attached below. The last
          sentence tells how to enter items in the update.
          Charlie Mauch

          Subj: CEC Environmental News Update - Nov. 17
          Date: 11/17/00 4:35:45 PM Central Standard Time
          From: issues@... (CEC)
          To: chasmauch@...

          **************************************
          CEC ENVIRONMENTAL NEWS UPDATE - 11/17/00
          **************************************
          CONTENTS

          HEADLINES
          Bayport - Not a Done Deal

          COALITION NOTES
          Whole Earth Provision Company to Sponsor Sierra Club Appreciation Day

          THE WEEK'S EVENTS
          Sierra Club Lone Star Chapter Biennial Legislative Workshop
          Vegetarian Society of Houston's Thanksgiving Celebration Dinner
          Galveston Bay Stewardship Awards - Application Deadline

          LOCAL
          Doctors to Speak on Asthma and Air Pollution
          Protesters to Boycott Gap
          Clean Air and Transportation Teleconference
          Willow Waterhole Unveiling

          STATE
          Environthon Comes to Texas

          NATIONAL
          Buy Nothing on November 24th

          GREEN JOBS
          Foresight Coordinator, Houston Advanced Research Center (HARC)
          Director of Project WILD, Council for Environmental Education
          Conservation Educator, Nature Conservancy

          IN THE NEWS

          **************************************

          HEADLINES

          ***Bayport - Not a Done Deal***
          After Harris County residents approved a bond issue in November of 1999 that
          allocated $387 million to the Port of Houston, potentially for construction
          of a new container port, many believed the Bayport battle was over. However,
          the Galveston Bay Conservation and Preservation Association (GBCPA) and
          others are still fighting the 1,050-acre container and cruise ship terminal
          in residential Southeast Harris County, which they say would increase
          traffic congestion and air pollution, decrease property values, and destroy
          the quality of life in the area. Jim Blackburn, environmental attorney and
          Co-Chair of GBCPA, spoke on the issue at CEC's roundtable on Wednesday,
          November 15th. For the full story, visit http://www.cechouston.org/news.

          **************************************

          COALITION NOTES

          ***Whole Earth Provision Company to Sponsor Sierra Club Appreciation Day***
          Whole Earth Provision Company has scheduled "Sierra Club Appreciation Day"
          for Saturday, December 2 at all their stores in Texas. The store will donate
          a percentage of all sales on December 2 to the Sierra Club, benefiting both
          the Lone Star Chapter (state level) and the Houston Group. Houston locations
          include 2934 South Shepherd and 6560 Woodway. The Houston Group will staff
          an information table at both stores that day.

          **************************************

          Date: Sat., Nov. 18
          Time: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
          Location: Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center, 4801 La Crosse Avenue, Austin
          More Information: Lone Star Chapter of the Sierra Club at 512-477-1729
          Fees: $50

          ***Vegetarian Society of Houston's Thanksgiving Celebration Dinner***
          Date: Tues, Nov. 21
          Time: 6:00 p.m.
          Location: the new A Moveable Feast, 9431 Katy Freeway at Echo Lane/Blalock
          RSVP: Vegetarian Society of Houston at 713-880-1055 or vshouston@...
          by Sun., Nov. 19th.
          Fees: $13 for adults, $7 for children (includes beverage, tax, and tip)

          ***Galveston Bay Stewardship Awards - Application Deadline***
          Date: Thurs., Nov. 30
          More Information: (281) 332-9937

          **************************************

          LOCAL

          ***Doctors to Speak on Asthma and Air Pollution***
          Dr. Edward Brooks and Dr. Sharon Petronella will speak on air pollution and
          asthma at the Ramsey Center in Channelview on Tuesday, November 28. Their
          presentation is for Community Advisory Panel to Lyondell and Equistar
          (CAPLE). The meeting is scheduled from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. with the
          presentation around 7:00. The Harris County Pct. 2 V. V. Ramsey Community
          Center is south of I-10 and east of Sheldon Road. From I-10, exit to Sheldon
          Road and head south, toward the Ship Channel. Turn left onto Lorenzo. There
          are two community centers on Lorenzo, right next to each other. Ramsey is
          the second one. For more details, contact CAPLE members Pat Pinkerton at
          (281) 452-2108 or Robert Comstock at (281) 456-9350.

          ***Protesters to Boycott Gap***
          Local protesters are encouraging shoppers to boycott the Gap, Banana
          Republic, and Old Navy in protest of the redwood logging efforts of the
          stores' founders. A peaceful protest will be held 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on
          Friday, November 24 (the day after Thanksgiving) in front of the Highland
          Village Gap at 4030 Westheimer. Store founders Donald and Doris Fisher
          bought 350 square miles of redwood timberlands in Mendocino County,
          according to the Wall Street Journal. After purchasing the land, Mendocino
          Redwood Co. (the Gap family's timber arm) continued logging, including
          clear-cuts. Boycott organizers are attempting to stop the Gap family's
          destruction of scarce redwood forests by affecting their bottom line; the
          effect of an intensive, holiday season boycott could easily motivate the
          Fisher family to stop the logging. For more information and a flyer
          detailing the reasons behind the boycott, call the Houston Gap Protest
          Hotline at (281) 880-8802 or e-mail houstongapprotest@....

          ***Clean Air and Transportation Teleconference***
          The Center for Transportation and the Environment (CTE) will host
          Community-Based Clean Air and Transportation Public Education Initiatives, a
          teleconference focused on successful federally supported public education
          programs that improve air quality and reduce congestion. CTE will broadcast
          the event in the training room at Transtar, located at 6922 Old Katy Road on
          December 1 from 12:00-3:00 p.m. Forty seats are available; please RSVP,
          including your name, phone number, fax number, mailing address, and email
          address to Monica Gaudet at MG07@ridemet. Lunch will not be provided but
          participants may bring their own.

          ***Willow Waterhole Unveiling***
          On Tuesday, November 28, at 10:00 a.m., organizers will unveil the Willow
          Waterhole Greenway Project, an innovative, multi-agency partnership that
          will create a stormwater detention basin incorporating beautiful parkland
          near Brays Bayou. Texas Parks & Wildlife, Houston Parks and Recreation
          Department, and Harris County Flood Control District are sponsoring the
          project, which is located at 5202 S. Willow Dr. Please RSVP to (713)
          845-1330.

          **************************************

          STATE

          ***Environthon Comes to Texas***
          Envirothon, the largest high school environmental competition in North
          America has come to Texas. The Envirothon is the largest high school
          environmental competition, and is open to any high school student (grades
          9 - 12). Over the course of several months of study, participants prepare
          themselves for testing in wildlife biology, forestry, aquatic science, soil
          science, and current environmental issues. During the competition, teams of
          five students are tested not only on their basic knowledge of the main topic
          areas, but also on their ability to apply that knowledge to solving
          real-life problems. In the final event of the contest, students will prepare
          a presentation on an assigned topic. The first statewide student competition
          will be held at Stephen F. Austin State University on April 27-28, 2001.
          Winners at the state level will have an opportunity to compete nationally to
          win substantial scholarships and gifts. Visit
          http://redbud.sfasu.edu/legg/envirothon.html to learn how to get involved.

          **************************************

          NATIONAL

          ***Buy Nothing on November 24th***
          International "Buy Nothing Day" is scheduled for November 24th. Buy Nothing
          Day is a day of cheerful and critical protest against Western
          overconsumption, the unequal worldwide distribution of well-being and
          wealth, and the influence of advertising on our daily lives. To participate,
          stay away from the stores the day after Thanksgiving.
          http://www.ddh.nl/nwd/2000/background.html

          **************************************

          GREEN JOBS

          ***Foresight Coordinator, Houston Advanced Research Center (HARC)***
          The Center for Global Studies (CGS) of the Houston Advanced Research Center
          (HARC) is seeking a professional to coordinate a regional environmental
          program on high priority issues and sustainable development. Houston
          Advanced Research Center (HARC) is a private, non-profit scientific research
          institution located in The Woodlands. The Houston Environmental Foresight
          Program of CGS is a community- and science-based program that has
          comprehensively examined major environmental concerns in the Houston region.
          HARC offers excellent compensation and benefits and the opportunity to work
          in an exciting collaborative environment. Qualified applicants may send
          resume and salary requirements to HARC Human Resources, Code FCCGS, 4800
          Research Forest Dr., The Woodlands TX 7738; fax: 281-363-7935; e-mail:
          lburchfield@....

          ***Director of Project WILD, Council for Environmental Education***
          The Council for Environmental Education (CEE) seeks an experienced and
          highly motivated administrator and education professional to fill the
          position of Director, Project WILD. CEE co-sponsors Project WILD, Project
          Learning Tree and Project WET (Water Education for Teachers) and administers
          Project WILD and WET in the City at the national level. CEE is a non-profit
          501(c)(3) educational organization which supports a variety of initiatives
          in environmental education. The policy and direction of the Council is
          governed by a Board of Directors. The closing date is December 11, 2000.
          http://www.eih.uh.edu/opportunities/wild_director.html

          ***Conservation Educator, Nature Conservancy***
          Full-time conservation (outdoor) education/science person is needed at the
          Nature Conservancy's Texas City Prairie Preserve. For more information
          contact Barbara Johnson at (409) 941-9114.

          **************************************

          IN THE NEWS

          ***Houston Chronicle***

          Forecast says growth city's No. 1 problem , 11/17/00,
          http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/front/749374

          Smog plan would slow job growth, study says , 11/17/00,
          http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/749378

          Driving Tips: Texas can't spend, build its way out of congestion , 11/17/00,
          http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/editorial/749108

          Houston area prime for duck-watching , 11/17/00,
          http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/features/749035

          City's assurances fail to allay concerns over new bike lanes, 11/16/00,
          http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/748572

          Smog-plan rebellion challenged Agency says suburbs are polluting Houston,
          11/16/00, http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/748485

          Forests can give us breathing room on Kyoto rules, 11/15/00,
          http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/editorial/747372

          A Natural: Composting in Texas Can you dig it?, 11/15/00,
          http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/editorial/747183

          Channelview project seen as model in cutting pollution, 11/15/00,
          http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/747682

          Six suburban counties unite to take smog fight to EPA, 11/15/00,
          http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/747580

          City Council rail debate Forthcoming, 11/15/00,
          http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/747698

          Latest Katy Freeway plan more Flexible, 11/15/00,
          http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/front/747683

          Council's light-rail opponents plan final effort for referendum, 11/14/00,
          http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/front/746265

          Needed link with nature for young Houstonians, 11/13/00,
          http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/editorial/742880

          ABOUT THIS PUBLICATION

          CEC Environmental News Update is a weekly publication by the Citizens'
          Environmental Coalition, a 501(c)3 dedicated to fostering dialogue,
          education and collaboration about environmental issues in the Houston Gulf
          Coast Region. Visit the CEC online at http://www.cechouston.org

          To subscribe or unsubscribe, or to suggest items for inclusion, send your
          request via e-mail to Marcia Carter at issues@....

          Phone: 713-524-4232
          Fax: 713-524-3311
        • James Ferrill
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 17, 2000
            Dec 3 would be much better for me

            James Ferrill

            Jonathan Clemens wrote:

            > HREG, We are approaching our regularly scheduled General Meeting date
            > (November 26). Due to special circumstances, I would like to propose that
            > we move the meeting to December 3, the following Sunday. Our VP, Oral
            > Lafleur, will be out of town through November 27, the 26th is on
            > Thanksgiving weekend (many may be out of town), and the December 3 date is
            > good for our featured speaker, Mack Mansfield, from HL&P. A preliminary
            > agenda: 2:00 Open Discussion re: Jonathan's trip to
            > NREL re: Roundup Report, etc.2:30 Featured Speaker - Mack
            > Mansfield (HL&P) re: Deregulation and related impacts
            > re: PV in the electric industry3:30 Business Items - Planning (website
            > update, etc.)4:00 Wrap-up To be fair, I am putting this proposed date
            > change to a vote. Regardless of the outcome, I will be glad to hold a
            > meeting on Sunday November 26, but the logistics will be difficult without
            > Oral around to open up the meeting room (2nd floor of the School of
            > Technology at TSU). So, I presume the date change to December 3 is
            > acceptable unless I hear from any of you that the change is a problem. In
            > the absence of positive support for the December 3 meeting date, I will make
            > arrangements for a November 26 meeting. I see the process going this way.
            > First, members voice problems with the change. Second, if other members see
            > the problems, they may offer up support for the December 3 date. Third,
            > with lack of support for the change (that is, with a preponderance of
            > support for keeping the original date), I will proceed with the scheduled
            > date of November 26. In legal schmegal terms, preponderance means more so
            > than not. That is, if 50% or more of the comments support the 26th, then we
            > stay with it. Thank you. Jonathan A. Clemens(281) 335-1155
          • Dan from Texas

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 19, 2000
                Please take me off the mailing list.
                Thank you.