Next HREG Meeting

  • Jonathan Clemens
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 17, 2000
      HREG,

      We are approaching our regularly scheduled General Meeting date (November 26).  Due to special circumstances, I would like to propose that we move the meeting to December 3, the following Sunday.  Our VP, Oral Lafleur, will be out of town through November 27, the 26th is on Thanksgiving weekend (many may be out of town), and the December 3 date is good for our featured speaker, Mack Mansfield, from HL&P.

      A preliminary agenda:

      2:00    Open Discussion
                  re: Jonathan's trip to NREL
                  re: Roundup Report, etc.
      2:30    Featured Speaker - Mack Mansfield (HL&P)
                  re: Deregulation and related impacts
                  re: PV in the electric industry
      3:30    Business Items - Planning (website update, etc.)
      4:00    Wrap-up

      To be fair, I am putting this proposed date change to a vote.  Regardless of the outcome, I will be glad to hold a meeting on Sunday November 26, but the logistics will be difficult without Oral around to open up the meeting room (2nd floor of the School of Technology at TSU).

      So, I presume the date change to December 3 is acceptable unless I hear from any of you that the change is a problem.  In the absence of positive support for the December 3 meeting date, I will make arrangements for a November 26 meeting.

      I see the process going this way.  First, members voice problems with the change.  Second, if other members see the problems, they may offer up support for the December 3 date.  Third, with lack of support for the change (that is, with a preponderance of support for keeping the original date), I will proceed with the scheduled date of November 26.

      In legal schmegal terms, preponderance means more so than not.  That is, if 50% or more of the comments support the 26th, then we stay with it.

      Thank you.

      Jonathan A. Clemens
      (281) 335-1155
    • Lafleur, Oral
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 17, 2000
        December 3rd is good with me.

        Oral

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 17, 2000
          I can't make it Dec 3. I took a gig in Louisiana that weekend.

          Becky
        • ChasMauch@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 17, 2000
            Hello everyone,
            Whenever we decide on the date for the next meeting, we need to be sure to
            have it included in the CEC weekly update to see if we can attract some new
            members. The latest edition of the update is attached below. The last
            sentence tells how to enter items in the update.
            Charlie Mauch

            Subj: CEC Environmental News Update - Nov. 17
            Date: 11/17/00 4:35:45 PM Central Standard Time
            From: issues@... (CEC)
            To: chasmauch@...

            **************************************
            CEC ENVIRONMENTAL NEWS UPDATE - 11/17/00
            **************************************
            CONTENTS

            HEADLINES
            Bayport - Not a Done Deal

            COALITION NOTES
            Whole Earth Provision Company to Sponsor Sierra Club Appreciation Day

            THE WEEK'S EVENTS
            Sierra Club Lone Star Chapter Biennial Legislative Workshop
            Vegetarian Society of Houston's Thanksgiving Celebration Dinner
            Galveston Bay Stewardship Awards - Application Deadline

            LOCAL
            Doctors to Speak on Asthma and Air Pollution
            Protesters to Boycott Gap
            Clean Air and Transportation Teleconference
            Willow Waterhole Unveiling

            STATE
            Environthon Comes to Texas

            NATIONAL
            Buy Nothing on November 24th

            GREEN JOBS
            Foresight Coordinator, Houston Advanced Research Center (HARC)
            Director of Project WILD, Council for Environmental Education
            Conservation Educator, Nature Conservancy

            IN THE NEWS

            **************************************

            HEADLINES

            ***Bayport - Not a Done Deal***
            After Harris County residents approved a bond issue in November of 1999 that
            allocated $387 million to the Port of Houston, potentially for construction
            of a new container port, many believed the Bayport battle was over. However,
            the Galveston Bay Conservation and Preservation Association (GBCPA) and
            others are still fighting the 1,050-acre container and cruise ship terminal
            in residential Southeast Harris County, which they say would increase
            traffic congestion and air pollution, decrease property values, and destroy
            the quality of life in the area. Jim Blackburn, environmental attorney and
            Co-Chair of GBCPA, spoke on the issue at CEC's roundtable on Wednesday,
            November 15th. For the full story, visit http://www.cechouston.org/news.

            **************************************

            COALITION NOTES

            ***Whole Earth Provision Company to Sponsor Sierra Club Appreciation Day***
            Whole Earth Provision Company has scheduled "Sierra Club Appreciation Day"
            for Saturday, December 2 at all their stores in Texas. The store will donate
            a percentage of all sales on December 2 to the Sierra Club, benefiting both
            the Lone Star Chapter (state level) and the Houston Group. Houston locations
            include 2934 South Shepherd and 6560 Woodway. The Houston Group will staff
            an information table at both stores that day.

            **************************************

            Date: Sat., Nov. 18
            Time: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
            Location: Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center, 4801 La Crosse Avenue, Austin
            More Information: Lone Star Chapter of the Sierra Club at 512-477-1729
            Fees: $50

            ***Vegetarian Society of Houston's Thanksgiving Celebration Dinner***
            Date: Tues, Nov. 21
            Time: 6:00 p.m.
            Location: the new A Moveable Feast, 9431 Katy Freeway at Echo Lane/Blalock
            RSVP: Vegetarian Society of Houston at 713-880-1055 or vshouston@...
            by Sun., Nov. 19th.
            Fees: $13 for adults, $7 for children (includes beverage, tax, and tip)

            ***Galveston Bay Stewardship Awards - Application Deadline***
            Date: Thurs., Nov. 30
            More Information: (281) 332-9937

            **************************************

            LOCAL

            ***Doctors to Speak on Asthma and Air Pollution***
            Dr. Edward Brooks and Dr. Sharon Petronella will speak on air pollution and
            asthma at the Ramsey Center in Channelview on Tuesday, November 28. Their
            presentation is for Community Advisory Panel to Lyondell and Equistar
            (CAPLE). The meeting is scheduled from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. with the
            presentation around 7:00. The Harris County Pct. 2 V. V. Ramsey Community
            Center is south of I-10 and east of Sheldon Road. From I-10, exit to Sheldon
            Road and head south, toward the Ship Channel. Turn left onto Lorenzo. There
            are two community centers on Lorenzo, right next to each other. Ramsey is
            the second one. For more details, contact CAPLE members Pat Pinkerton at
            (281) 452-2108 or Robert Comstock at (281) 456-9350.

            ***Protesters to Boycott Gap***
            Local protesters are encouraging shoppers to boycott the Gap, Banana
            Republic, and Old Navy in protest of the redwood logging efforts of the
            stores' founders. A peaceful protest will be held 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on
            Friday, November 24 (the day after Thanksgiving) in front of the Highland
            Village Gap at 4030 Westheimer. Store founders Donald and Doris Fisher
            bought 350 square miles of redwood timberlands in Mendocino County,
            according to the Wall Street Journal. After purchasing the land, Mendocino
            Redwood Co. (the Gap family's timber arm) continued logging, including
            clear-cuts. Boycott organizers are attempting to stop the Gap family's
            destruction of scarce redwood forests by affecting their bottom line; the
            effect of an intensive, holiday season boycott could easily motivate the
            Fisher family to stop the logging. For more information and a flyer
            detailing the reasons behind the boycott, call the Houston Gap Protest
            Hotline at (281) 880-8802 or e-mail houstongapprotest@....

            ***Clean Air and Transportation Teleconference***
            The Center for Transportation and the Environment (CTE) will host
            Community-Based Clean Air and Transportation Public Education Initiatives, a
            teleconference focused on successful federally supported public education
            programs that improve air quality and reduce congestion. CTE will broadcast
            the event in the training room at Transtar, located at 6922 Old Katy Road on
            December 1 from 12:00-3:00 p.m. Forty seats are available; please RSVP,
            including your name, phone number, fax number, mailing address, and email
            address to Monica Gaudet at MG07@ridemet. Lunch will not be provided but
            participants may bring their own.

            ***Willow Waterhole Unveiling***
            On Tuesday, November 28, at 10:00 a.m., organizers will unveil the Willow
            Waterhole Greenway Project, an innovative, multi-agency partnership that
            will create a stormwater detention basin incorporating beautiful parkland
            near Brays Bayou. Texas Parks & Wildlife, Houston Parks and Recreation
            Department, and Harris County Flood Control District are sponsoring the
            project, which is located at 5202 S. Willow Dr. Please RSVP to (713)
            845-1330.

            **************************************

            STATE

            ***Environthon Comes to Texas***
            Envirothon, the largest high school environmental competition in North
            America has come to Texas. The Envirothon is the largest high school
            environmental competition, and is open to any high school student (grades
            9 - 12). Over the course of several months of study, participants prepare
            themselves for testing in wildlife biology, forestry, aquatic science, soil
            science, and current environmental issues. During the competition, teams of
            five students are tested not only on their basic knowledge of the main topic
            areas, but also on their ability to apply that knowledge to solving
            real-life problems. In the final event of the contest, students will prepare
            a presentation on an assigned topic. The first statewide student competition
            will be held at Stephen F. Austin State University on April 27-28, 2001.
            Winners at the state level will have an opportunity to compete nationally to
            win substantial scholarships and gifts. Visit
            http://redbud.sfasu.edu/legg/envirothon.html to learn how to get involved.

            **************************************

            NATIONAL

            ***Buy Nothing on November 24th***
            International "Buy Nothing Day" is scheduled for November 24th. Buy Nothing
            Day is a day of cheerful and critical protest against Western
            overconsumption, the unequal worldwide distribution of well-being and
            wealth, and the influence of advertising on our daily lives. To participate,
            stay away from the stores the day after Thanksgiving.
            http://www.ddh.nl/nwd/2000/background.html

            **************************************

            GREEN JOBS

            ***Foresight Coordinator, Houston Advanced Research Center (HARC)***
            The Center for Global Studies (CGS) of the Houston Advanced Research Center
            (HARC) is seeking a professional to coordinate a regional environmental
            program on high priority issues and sustainable development. Houston
            Advanced Research Center (HARC) is a private, non-profit scientific research
            institution located in The Woodlands. The Houston Environmental Foresight
            Program of CGS is a community- and science-based program that has
            comprehensively examined major environmental concerns in the Houston region.
            HARC offers excellent compensation and benefits and the opportunity to work
            in an exciting collaborative environment. Qualified applicants may send
            resume and salary requirements to HARC Human Resources, Code FCCGS, 4800
            Research Forest Dr., The Woodlands TX 7738; fax: 281-363-7935; e-mail:
            lburchfield@....

            ***Director of Project WILD, Council for Environmental Education***
            The Council for Environmental Education (CEE) seeks an experienced and
            highly motivated administrator and education professional to fill the
            position of Director, Project WILD. CEE co-sponsors Project WILD, Project
            Learning Tree and Project WET (Water Education for Teachers) and administers
            Project WILD and WET in the City at the national level. CEE is a non-profit
            501(c)(3) educational organization which supports a variety of initiatives
            in environmental education. The policy and direction of the Council is
            governed by a Board of Directors. The closing date is December 11, 2000.
            http://www.eih.uh.edu/opportunities/wild_director.html

            ***Conservation Educator, Nature Conservancy***
            Full-time conservation (outdoor) education/science person is needed at the
            Nature Conservancy's Texas City Prairie Preserve. For more information
            contact Barbara Johnson at (409) 941-9114.

            **************************************

            IN THE NEWS

            ***Houston Chronicle***

            Forecast says growth city's No. 1 problem , 11/17/00,
            http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/front/749374

            Smog plan would slow job growth, study says , 11/17/00,
            http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/749378

            Driving Tips: Texas can't spend, build its way out of congestion , 11/17/00,
            http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/editorial/749108

            Houston area prime for duck-watching , 11/17/00,
            http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/features/749035

            City's assurances fail to allay concerns over new bike lanes, 11/16/00,
            http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/748572

            Smog-plan rebellion challenged Agency says suburbs are polluting Houston,
            11/16/00, http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/748485

            Forests can give us breathing room on Kyoto rules, 11/15/00,
            http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/editorial/747372

            A Natural: Composting in Texas Can you dig it?, 11/15/00,
            http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/editorial/747183

            Channelview project seen as model in cutting pollution, 11/15/00,
            http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/747682

            Six suburban counties unite to take smog fight to EPA, 11/15/00,
            http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/747580

            City Council rail debate Forthcoming, 11/15/00,
            http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/747698

            Latest Katy Freeway plan more Flexible, 11/15/00,
            http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/front/747683

            Council's light-rail opponents plan final effort for referendum, 11/14/00,
            http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/front/746265

            Needed link with nature for young Houstonians, 11/13/00,
            http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/editorial/742880

            ABOUT THIS PUBLICATION

            CEC Environmental News Update is a weekly publication by the Citizens'
            Environmental Coalition, a 501(c)3 dedicated to fostering dialogue,
            education and collaboration about environmental issues in the Houston Gulf
            Coast Region. Visit the CEC online at http://www.cechouston.org

            To subscribe or unsubscribe, or to suggest items for inclusion, send your
            request via e-mail to Marcia Carter at issues@....

            Phone: 713-524-4232
            Fax: 713-524-3311
          • James Ferrill
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 17, 2000
              Dec 3 would be much better for me

              James Ferrill

              Jonathan Clemens wrote:

              > HREG, We are approaching our regularly scheduled General Meeting date
              > (November 26). Due to special circumstances, I would like to propose that
              > we move the meeting to December 3, the following Sunday. Our VP, Oral
              > Lafleur, will be out of town through November 27, the 26th is on
              > Thanksgiving weekend (many may be out of town), and the December 3 date is
              > good for our featured speaker, Mack Mansfield, from HL&P. A preliminary
              > agenda: 2:00 Open Discussion re: Jonathan's trip to
              > NREL re: Roundup Report, etc.2:30 Featured Speaker - Mack
              > Mansfield (HL&P) re: Deregulation and related impacts
              > re: PV in the electric industry3:30 Business Items - Planning (website
              > update, etc.)4:00 Wrap-up To be fair, I am putting this proposed date
              > change to a vote. Regardless of the outcome, I will be glad to hold a
              > meeting on Sunday November 26, but the logistics will be difficult without
              > Oral around to open up the meeting room (2nd floor of the School of
              > Technology at TSU). So, I presume the date change to December 3 is
              > acceptable unless I hear from any of you that the change is a problem. In
              > the absence of positive support for the December 3 meeting date, I will make
              > arrangements for a November 26 meeting. I see the process going this way.
              > First, members voice problems with the change. Second, if other members see
              > the problems, they may offer up support for the December 3 date. Third,
              > with lack of support for the change (that is, with a preponderance of
              > support for keeping the original date), I will proceed with the scheduled
              > date of November 26. In legal schmegal terms, preponderance means more so
              > than not. That is, if 50% or more of the comments support the 26th, then we
              > stay with it. Thank you. Jonathan A. Clemens(281) 335-1155
            • Dan from Texas

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 19, 2000
                  Please take me off the mailing list.
                  Thank you.