Open Air Mining

  • Lunce
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2006
      Alcoa and another aluminum company (name escapes me for the moment) also
      practice this "open-air" mining technique in Suriname to extract
      bauxite, the principal ore for Aluminum. 60% of the earth's aluminum
      resources come from that part of the world. The rainforest is cut down,
      area cleared and mined. The area are mostly rural, and the bush people
      do not know to complain. I suspect that such operation occurs in many
      places on earth without the benefit of activists for the environment.