[hreg] From another list

  • Kim & Garth Travis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 1999
      This is an introduction of Warren Hicks from the solar cooking list, his interests are very much in keeping with our group so I thought I would copy & forward his letter.  I hope some of you find this interesting, if you do, please let me know.
      Kim Travis

      Hi Everyone,
      I am a new subscriber to the service. My name is Warren Hicks and I
      am a researcher at the University of Nottingham. I am currently
      completing a Ph.D in solar cooling (Cooling, not cooking). However, I
      am very interested in the use of solar energy for most applications.
      Once I have completed my Ph.D I am going to Lesotho to work in the
      appropriate technology section (ATS) for the Lesotho government.
      Lesotho is one of the British protectorates in South Africa. My role
      over there will be to provide engineering support to a number of
      projects including fuel efficient/solar stoves and the development of
      renewable energy sources. One of my principal roles will be to help
      identify funding sources to establish and expand the projects
      identified as key. To this end I would appreciate corresponding with
      anyone who would be able to share their experiences and advice on the
      introduction of solar cookers/renewable energy to developing
      countries. Also any comments on who to approach for funding would be
      valuable.
      Anyone with an interest in helping me and ATS to identify fruitful
      directions for implementation of any forms of renewable energy would
      be useful. Subjects that I would appreciate corresponding on are
      solar cooking, heat driven engines for rural electrification,
      microhydropower, solar drying and pasteurization and wind power
      (particularly wind driven water pumps).
      I look forward to corresponding with the group membership.
      All the best
      Warren Hicks
      School of the Built Environment
      Nottingham University
      University Park
      Nottingham
      NG7 2RD
      Tel: 0115 9513177
      Fax: 0115 9513159
      Above are UK phone numbers for international calls
      replace the 0 with +44
      E-mail: laxwjh@...