Re: [hreg] roof materials

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 21, 2006
      It seems that I've managed to find an answer to my question at this site:
      http://www.professionalroofing.net/past/oct98/feature.asp

      From the site:

      Some BUR [built up roof] systems are covered with mineral-surfaced cap
      sheets. Similar to white asphalt shingles, a white, mineral-surfaced cap
      sheet has a reflectance of only 25 percent. Adding a reflective coating
      increases a cap sheet's reflectance to 65 percent. A contractor can
      eliminate the cap sheet and surface a BUR system with a reflective coating
      to achieve a reflectance closer to 70 percent.

      So, it sounds like my roof probably has a 25 percent or so reflectance, and
      adding a 65-70 percent reflectance coating will probably help.

      Good news for me!
      And, of course, I'll let everyone know how it goes...

      Paul

      1:50pm, Paul Archer wrote:

      >> At 01:28 PM 4/21/2006, you wrote:
      >>> While we're talking about cooling effeciency, I've got a question about
      >>> roofing materials.
      >>> I've got a 2300sf house in the Westbury area with a flat roof. The roofing
      >>> material is composition, in a very light grey. (If your not familiar with
      >>> composition roofs, the material is very much like a standard roofing
      >>> shingle, except that in effect, one shingle covers the entire roof.)
      >>>
      >>> Anyway, I have been thinking about a roof sprinkler system (and will almost
      >>> certainly install one soon), but I noticed a recent post where someone
      >>> mentioned applying a white elastometric roof coating. I'm just wondering if
      >>> the time and expense of applying a coating like that is going to be worth
      >>> it, given that my roof is fairly reflective to begin with.
      >>>
      >>> I'm willing to try, though, as the roof/ceiling isn't as well insulated as
      >>> it should be, and during the heat of a typical summer day, our
      >>> air conditioner can barely keep up with the load.
      >>>
      >>> Paul Archer

      >> Yahoo! Groups Links

      404 Error - Item Not Found
      <haiku>