Re: [hreg] Slightly OT - Airtight Homes and Hurricanes

  • Steve Nunes
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2006
      Just something for everyone to thing about - was reviewing the below e-mail about sealing up the attic space in a home in Hot, humid climates.
      I grew up in the Carribean Islands, where many homes, even today, are not centrally air conditioned, or for that matter, air conditioned at all. Matter of fact, the house I grew up in had no AC.
      Basic principles for home building, seen in many of the old buildings there, and still visible today in places like Key West included:
      - Never build an east-west facing house. This was for two reasons - as little window exposure to the sun as possible, and because north/south exposure allowed the prevailing trade winds to vent through the house.
      - "Fretwork" or open slats above the windows and doors, so that even when those were closed, air could still circulate through the cielings of the house. Some of these slates are very decorative, hence the name "fretwork".
      - Porches or awnings outside of the windows and doors so that as little direct sunlight as possible hit on them
      - Ceilings between the rooms and the roofs, to create an insulating barrier of air. This space was also vented by fretwork, athough there are very few "attic" spaces as this created a large space to trap heat & provide a home to insects & vermin.
      - Enough of a peak on the roofs to allow the torrential rains to run off, but not so high that a heat trap was created.
      To my point about Hurricanes - the oldtimers in the islands also insist that during a hurricane, a vented house can "breathe" allowing the pressure between the air in the house and that outside to equalize, and thus preventing it from being stressed by the air pressure difference. They say that you might get things wet inside the house, but probably not so badly that you can't dry them off, and be much better off than if you have lost your house entirely to the hurricane.
      This presumes, of course, that storm surge and flooding like that seen in the Gulf Coast in this last year is not going to be an issue.

      Cheers