Woodlands Earth Day, 4/8/2006, 10:00 am

  • hreg@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 7, 2006
      Reminder Reminder from the Calendar of hreg
      Woodlands Earth Day

      Saturday April 8, 2006
      10:00 am - 2:00 pm
      This event does not repeat.

      Privacy Policy - Terms of Service
    • Gary Beck
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 20, 2006

        Do any of our Solar power experts know what an ‘average’ US home in Houston consumes on a kW-hr basis – or have a good link to such data? Maybe a kW/sq.ft. of air conditioned space?

        I have seen numbers of about 25 to 45 kW-hr for typical homes with AC and normal appliances and electronics starting, stopping etc.

        I am looking for some good average number for this, plus the level for a type of minimal operation load basis (small refrigerator, fan, lights, tv, radio, small dehumidifier)

        Gary Beck

      • Jerome Banasik Jr.
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 20, 2006
          I just joined this forum but if you don't have any luck getting a response I wouldn't mind working with you to build a survey that maybe could be shared with whoever.

          I work with collecting data and helping those who have the know come up with logical data collection points.  My background is medical but you could poll the experts for the appropriate questions to build the survey and then we could seek out a way to survey to come up with that data.

          For example my house, 1960 ranch in Westbury.  1 story brick 2100 sq feet.  Trees cover 50% of roof.  Original insulation, door and windows.  1990 appliances.  5 year old A/C unit with 10 SEER rating.  90% compact flourescent lighting.  Typical entertainment and computer equipment.  Programmable thermostat set at 80 daytime / 77 night time.  Gas furnace and water heater but electric dryer.

          1000 Kw per month usage in winter months. Climbs to 2500 in July and August.  Thus general usage is 1000 Kw per month and everything else is just running the a/c.

          Three attic turbines.  Installed additional fascia vents last year to help get attic down from 120 in the summer, didn't help.  Installed attic fan last week to supplement and seems to be working to get it down since the last few days have been close to 95 over here.

          Hopefully lower energy consumption this summer.

          Jerome Banasik Jr.
          Houston, Texas, USA

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 20, 2006
              Sadly the rest is A/C in Houston.  I am of the school of thought that as our city is the energy capital of the world and experts on energy that us Houstonians will come together and figure out the most efficient way to use energy and develope futuer energy.  It's our legacy.  That's my glass half full stance.

              Jerome Banasik Jr.
              Houston, Texas, USA

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 20, 2006
                Try the web link below should you need additional assistance bounce a message back. Kirk

                The Database:
                This program takes your selections, combines them with pre-collected data, analyzes and instantly displays the information. The pre-collected data is updated regularly and includes:
                • Electric rate schedules for every utility in the nation, including your city or area
                • Federal and state income tax rates
                • Available federal, state and utility economic incentives
                • Local weather data
                • Typical customer electric usage profiles seen by every utility in the nation, for every month of the year
                • Estimated photovoltaic system energy output

                KAGY Enterprises Inc.
                Texas Hill Country (512) 314-9040
                Texas Gulf Coast (281) 851-9896
                kirkglueck@...

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 21, 2006
                  Thanks for the link, Kirk!

                  I took part in the PV Design and Installation course in Austin last
                  month (course offered by SEI and sponsored by Meridian Energy). The
                  house that we put the PV system on was on an older single story home for
                  a retired couple. The owner told me that they have approximately 1500
                  SF and uses approximately 4000 KWhr per year. That does not include gas
                  heating and range.

                  Here at home I have been on an electricity diet - but my gas bill for
                  March! I need to go on a gas diet.

                  Lunce

                • William & Cynthia Stange
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 21, 2006
                    Hello all,
                     Thank goodness for rain!! Rain barrels are completely full, 500 gals. in less than an hour!! As far as our energy use in Houston homes we are kind of stuck with old technology. Thirty-year-old plus homes especially wood frame are not a design for our climate. Especially a changing one. Just how much money should we spend to try to offset energy savings? Until our infrastructure supports ALL renewable AND alternative fuels we will be playing the "catch-up" game. The real focus should be on new housing for our specific climate, radical changes in the way we BUILD our shelters, addressing issues of heat gain (roofing/insulation), orientation (North,S,E,W), humidity control, flood control, wind and severe weather and air movement. Then installing the latest in tech. into those houses we will become highly energy efficient as well as a Home that will last for decades- a century? The bigger picture that we are all witnessing every moment this year is global. The old saying "Think global, act local" is at the doorstep of all of us. The price for energy is reflecting in everything we know, employment, transportation, education, shelter and most of all our food. I belong to the Austin Permaculture group, the emails I have been getting are intense and I will send along some links that I think are important. Mass transit or the "Electrification of the US" is a important one, taking the way we move not only people but freight across our country from petro vehicles to electric will help to balance our out of balance country. Demanding Hybrid vehicles NOW is not an alternative but a reality. We ALL need to stand up and be heard by any means that is moral, forward thinking and gives back to our country the technology, jobs and inspiration we all deserve! I urge all of us to do something now, start the learning curve, be heard. As the largest voice/constituents we have the power to affect change in our government, OUR TIME HAS COME! Below are some links to some sites that are vital.
                                                                                Bill Stange

                    "Jerohttp://www.lightrailnow.org/features/f_lrt_2005-02.htmme Banasik Jr." <jbanasikjr@...> wrote:
[...]

                  • Garth & Kim Travis
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 21, 2006
                      Greetings,
                      The rain has been wonderful.  My new orchard and my gardens really appreciate it, so do I.  No watering chores today!

                      While I totally agree with you, I would add one other.  In the summer expect to be warmer and set the thermostat higher.  I laugh at the idiots that always have a summer cold, but you walk into their home and it is 68F.  Then they complain about their energy bill.  Worse, the same idiots set the thermostat at 78F in the winter and pay the same outrageous bill for electric heat.  I highly doubt that anyone on this list behaves in this manner, but it will help all of us if we can educated these people to live in a more rational manner.  Managing window covers and using fans can replace using the AC a great deal of the year, even here in Texas.  I have been using my roof sprinkler system already, but my AC unit has yet to be turned on this year.  I am using up the cool stored from the winter, still.

                      And no Lunce, not my fancy Canadian AC fan, just my ordinary fans so far.<grin>  It is time to find room in the deep freeze for my ice bottle for my fancy fan.  Sad when we were using the heat less than a month ago.

                      Bright Blessings,
                      Kim

                      http://www.buildingscience.com/default.htm
                      http://www.lightrailnow.org/features/f_lrt_2005-02.htm
                      http://www.energybulletin.net/13575.html

                      "Jerohttp://www.lightrailnow.org/features/f_lrt_2005-02.htmme Banasik Jr." <jbanasikjr@...> wrote:
                      Sadly the rest is A/C in Houston.  I am of the school of thought that as our city is the energy capital of the world and experts on energy that us Houstonians will come together and figure out the most efficient way to use energy and develope futuer energy.  It's our legacy.  That's my glass half full stance.

                      Jerome Banasik Jr.
                      Houston, Texas, USA

                      Do any of our Solar power experts know what an âaverageâ <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 />US home in Houston consumes on a kW-hr basis â or have a good link to such data? Maybe a kW/sq.ft. of air conditioned space?

                      I have seen numbers of about 25 to 45 kW-hr for typical homes with AC and normal appliances and electronics starting, stopping etc.

                      I am looking for some good average number for this, plus the level for a type of minimal operation load basis (small refrigerator, fan, lights, tv, radio, small dehumidifier)

                      Gary Beck

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      What the mainstream media are not telling you about the run up in oil prices

                      by Jeffrey J. Brown

                      RELATED NEWS:

                      The Proposed Iranian Oil Bourse...
                      Peak America – Is Our Time Up?...
                      Politics & economics - Apr 18...
                      Peak oil - Apr 15...
                      Other energy - Apr 18...
                      Why Are Oil Prices up?

                      Oil prices are up substantially since mid-February. Most of the Mainstream Media (MSM) attribute this run up in oil prices to geopolitical tensions. However, a careful examination of recent supply data provided by the US Energy Information Agency (EIA) suggest a different reason--oil importers are bidding against each other for available total petroleum (crude oil + product) imports.

                      Since the week ending 2/10/06, average daily US net petroleum imports have fallen about 15%, down about two mbpd. Since the week ending 2/24/06, on a smoothed, four week running average basis, average daily US net petroleum imports have fallen about 8%, down about one mbpd. (A comparable time period last year showed about a 2% decline.)

                      This sharp decline in net US petroleum imports corresponded to the beginning of the recent run up in oil prices.

                      It is true that we have relatively high crude oil inventories, but note that we don't know what percentage of crude oil inventories consists of heavy, sour crude, which cannot be used in light, sweet crude oil refineries. Also, total product inventories are up only slightly year over year. It is quite possible that building inventories of heavy, sour crude oil have been obscuring falling inventories of light, sweet crude oil inventories.

                      Why is This Decline in Imports Important?

                      Producing regions tend to peak and then decline when they have used about 50% of their total recoverable conventional oil reserves (Qt).

                      Kenneth Deffeyes, using a method called Hubbert Linearization (HL), estimated that the world crossed the 50% of (conventional crude + condensate) Qt mark in December, 2005. According to the EIA, December 2005 was the all time record high for world crude + condensate production. The latest data, for January, 2006, show a decline of about 500,000 bpd.

                      In an article that “Khebab” and I coauthored, “M. King Hubbert’s Lower 48 Prediction Revisited,” we evaluated the accuracy of the HL technique as a predictive tool, once a region has hit the 50% of Qt mark.

                      As most people know, Dr. Hubbert, in 1956, accurately predicted that US Lower 48 oil production would peak around its actual peak in 1970. Using only production data through 1970, we found that actual post-1970 cumulative Lower 48 oil production was 99% of what the HL method predicted. We concluded that Dr. Deffeyes’ prediction that the world peaked in 2005 should be given a lot of credibility.

                      In our article, we also analyzed the top four net oil exporters worldwide, and we found that they are collectively farther down the depletion curve than the world is overall. In the article, we had the following statements:
                      A critical point to keep in mind is that an exporter can only export what is left after domestic consumption is satisfied.

                      Consider a simple example, a country producing 2.0 mbpd, consuming 1.0 mbpd and therefore exporting 1.0 mbpd. Let's assume a 25% drop in production over a six year period (which we have seen in the North Sea, which by the way peaked at 52% of Qt) and let's assume a 10% increase in domestic consumption. Production would be 1.5 mbpd. Consumption would be 1.1 mbpd. Net exports would be production (1.5 mbpd) less consumption (1.1 mbpd) = 0.4 mbpd. Therefore, because of a 25% drop in production and because of a 10% increase in domestic consumption, net oil exports from our hypothetical net exporter dropped by 60%, from 1.0 mbpd to 0.4 mbpd, over a six year period.

                      We are deeply concerned that the world is probably facing an imminent and catastrophic collapse in net oil export capacity because of declining production and increasing domestic consumption in the top exporting countries.

                      Consider the simple math. If Deffeyes is correct that the world oil production peaked in December, 2005, then we will use--at our current rate of consumption--more than 10% of all remaining conventional crude + condensate reserves in the next four years.

                      Why Aren’t the MSM Discussing the Import Situation?

                      I think that we are seeing an "Iron Triangle" of sorts defending the status quo concept of ever expanding energy supplies: (1) most housing, auto, financing and related companies; (2) Most MSM companies that are selling advertising to Group #1 and (3) some major oil companies, major oil exporters and energy analysts that are working for the major oil companies and exporters.

                      The housing/auto group wants to keep selling and financing large homes and SUV's.

                      The MSM wants to keep selling advertising to the housing/auto group.

                      In my opinion, some major oil companies are afraid of punitive taxation, and some exporters are afraid of military takeovers. This group of oil companies, exporters and their analysts provide the intellectual ammunition for the other two groups, i.e., promising trillions and trillions of barrels of conventional and nonconventional oil reserves.

                      Is There a Solution?

                      There is one important exception to housing/auto group: Mike Jackson, the CEO of AutoNation, is calling for a much higher gasoline tax. While this is a start, I recommend a much higher energy tax, offset by the elimination of the Payroll Tax, combined with a crash electrification of transportation program, as outlined by consulting engineer Alan Drake, see link below.

                      Jeffrey J. Brown is a petroleum geologist in the Dallas, Texas area.
                      westexas@...

                      M. King Hubbert's Lower 48 Prediction Revisited
                      www.energybulletin.net/13575.html

                      EIA Supply Data
                      tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pet_sum_sndw_dcus_nus_w.htm

                      Electrification of Transportation as a Response to Peaking of World Oil Production
                      www.lightrailnow.org/features/f_lrt_2005-02.htm

                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Editorial Notes ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                      An earlier version of this article appears on GraphOilogy

                      Jeffrey wrote the recent Open letter to Texas newspapers about peak oil: 'Why aren’t you listening?', one of the most heavily viewed articles on Energy Bulletin in recent months.

                      -BA

                    • Lunce
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 21, 2006
                        Greetings Kim,

                        It is a wonderful fan!! Actually I was thinking that I need to get a
                        stove like yours. I don't have access to low cost wood - wonder if the
                        junkmail pile would do LOL

                        Lunce

                      • refuge@wt.net
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 21, 2006
                          Hello all,

                          I would like to add my $.02 to the informal energy usage poll... I have a
                          2005 2 story 2,359 sqft home with north/ south front back exposure... almost
                          all CF lights and ceiling fans in almost every room... I love to open most of
                          the windows in the evening and get a good cross breeze going thru the house
                          but during the day have a/c set between 78-81.. I've been using about 250 KWH
                          per month and have been enjoying my $42-$48 electric bills... by the way, I
                          have gas stove/oven and water heater.. my gas bill is about $27 per month...
                          still not bad at all...

                          believed to be clean.
                        • Garth & Kim Travis
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 21, 2006
                            Greetings,

                            Actually, if you contact the closest feed store and get them to let you put
                            up a sign saying you will take everyone's all paper feed bags, that could
                            be a good fuel. I would suggest rolling them like the newspaper logs of
                            the 1970's. I have yet to find a way to recycle feed bags, recyclers won't
                            take them. The bags are burned anyway or land in the landfill, so burning
                            them for heat is better that just burning them. Also, the paper logs would
                            be much cleaner in the house than wood is.

                            Bright Blessings,
                            Kim