Re: [hreg] Ohio goes from 50th to 14th on solar power

  • Kevin L. Conlin
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 27, 2000
      I'm glad I wasn't the only one that looked askance at AEP's chest thumping,
      this is a perfect example of a utility glomming a lot of free press for
      doing very little. AEP has been one of the dirtiest utilities in the
      country by burning primarily coal in their plants in the Northeast,
      poisoning many lakes in NY and SE Canada. The fact is a 1Kw array will not
      even run the lights in a single classroom for a day, and by showing
      schoolchildren how little it actually contributes to the schools' load, you
      are really demonstrating that the technology is not ready for prime time.
      The other fact is that if 90Kw moved Ohio from 50 to 14, this country has a
      very long way to go in embracing renewables. I agree that any solar
      utilisation is positive, but I hate to see the forces of evil and darkness
      get kudos for a token gesture. There are a lot better people doing better
      things that deserve to be recognized than AEP. I hope they're changing too,
      Marge, but I'm skeptical. best regards, Kevin