Re: [hreg] Re: Does anyone have a contact in Houston to rightsize & installAC system?

  • William & Cynthia Stange
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 22 6:17 AM
      Hello,
               I am in Houston also and have been in the building trade for twenty years. (Electrician) I too have been trying to alleviate concerns and energy conservation in A.C. systems in Texas. It seems that years ago there were not adequate calculations nor codes regarding this issue. Contractors often just guessed I think, in the sizing of units. Research that I have done involves obviously the size of units, return air availability, and the ease of indoor air to circulate through the Home. The latter seems to point to having more individual return air from trouble areas in the home and possibly adding indoor windows that allow air to travel unobstructed throughout the house. Two great web sites that I have just found may help;   http://www.alpinehomeair.com/AC-choosingsize.cfm
      http://www.eere.energy.gov/buildings/info/components/hvac/
      Hope these are helpful, Thanks to Bashir for the Ozone report, I had not heard that info.on toxicity of ozone.
      I also believe that reducing attic temps. help the whole system. Leaking ductwork in the attic is costly and inefficient, radient barriers on roof rafters (Reflectix sheets), Proper insulation (Cellulose) and moving high temperature air out of the attic through venting. Solar fans or 120 volt 1600 CFM fans to blow out through gable vents allowing cooler air to be sucked in through lower soffit venting. Trapped heat in the attic right after sundown is especially tough on ac systems. I believe that when the sun is shining it actually causes more air to move through your attic through convection, when the sun goes down that process is slowed down and the trapped air tries to creep into the interior of the home allowing your ac to run constantly to beat that heat away. Thats my theory for the moment. Last Summer I tried tying two sprinklers on the roof, programable timer on the hose bibb. Allowing the sprinklers to run between 2:00 PM & 3:30 PM (needed to water my foundation anyway) seemed to knock temps in the attic down enough to give the ac time to rest. Although increasing my water bill slightly it did help.
      We as homeowners, as Americans should be focused on building homes that meet the environment we live in. Our Homes should at the very least be using huge amounts of thermal mass structures, whether that be insulated concrete blocks, strawbale (my choice) or rammed earth/adobe. Home orientation, for those who are building should be mandatory. (?) After all, we are trying to create a "mini-climate" in each and every house in Houston, imagine for just a moment just how huge that electrical usage is in our summers here! More natural home choices are not only good for our world environment, they just make sense!!
      All the best, Bill Stange and Family

      you should check with "the allergy and health store" on bellaire blvd. in the sa e shopping center as whole foods. the owner is seemingly very knowledgable about all things "indoor air quality".
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 22 6:32 AM
        this has been really interesting conversation... one good thing is that the
        new energy star codes require "right sizing" of a/c units to each home... I
        think alot of that type of planning is done in the archetectural stage of
        planning new homes, especially with energy star/ green homes... I agree with
        the train of thought that moving air in the attic is a good thing... I plan on
        getting 2 solar powered fans for my attic soon... from what I have learned
        thru research of a/c units the train of thought was just to get the largest
        unit possible for each house to cool it off asap as people didn't like
        watching their meter spin like crazy each time the a/c went off but this
        didn't allow enough time to remove the humidity... now, with improved SEER
        ratings and improved testing (door blower and duct testing) and humidistats in
        the thermostats, mandatory low E double pane windows things are improving
        atleast for the new homes.

        believed to be clean.
      • JR Batek
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 22 7:25 AM
          Would solar fans be the best bet? From the theory
          proposed by Mr. Stange, the key time to cool is during
          dusk or early darkness when the convection rate slows
          down. Do the fans have a battery backup that would
          allow them to keep running without light or would they
          stop at the time when they are needed most?

          JR

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • blpasemann
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 22 7:46 AM
            Thanx for all the good idea's and links...keep them coming. Does
            anyone have a contact for blower door testing and is that the best way
            to rightsize the AC?

            I have an old house built in late 60's, single pane windows, probably
            very little insulation in walls (I added 12" or so of celluous in the
            attic last summer) and an old AC. Luckily most of my house is shaded,
            which I know saves a lot of money. I debated adding solar fans, but
            plan to condition the attic soon when I replace my roof. I really
            would like to change the windows, but being brick, it will be more
            difficult. So for now, I'm just trying to do the right thing as I go
            and learn about it.

            I have saved a lot of energy by simply, replacing all the light bulbs
            with CFL's, adding cellulous to attic, drying clothes outside, hand
            washing dishes, buying a front loading washing machine and try to keep
            lights off. Last months bill was $36.00. I know changing the AC
            should save half of the costs I currently spend.

            Thanx everyone.

            --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, refuge@... wrote:

> [...]
            > > huge amounts of thermal mass structures, whether that be insulated
            concrete
            > > blocks, strawbale (my choice) or rammed earth/adobe. Home
            orientation, for
            > > those who are building should be mandatory. (?) After all, we are
            trying to
            > > create a "mini-climate" in each and every house in Houston,
            imagine for just
            > > a moment just how huge that electrical usage is in our summers
            here! More
            > > natural home choices are not only good for our world environment,
            they just
            > > make sense!!
            > > All the best, Bill Stange and Family
            > > Lisa Delaune <mmedelaune@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > you should check with "the allergy and health store" on bellaire
            blvd. in the
            > > sa e shopping center as whole foods. the owner is seemingly very

            Service.

            > > ---------------------------------
            > >

            > --
            > believed to be clean.

          • John Miggins
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 22 8:28 AM
              Brady, I commend you for your interest and approach to this. $36.00 is
              pretty good bill size, I imagine that you are the envy of most people on
              this list.

              sizing the AC is a science having to do with a multitude of factors
              including heat loss, area, location, shading etc...

              How many square feet do you have and what size is your unit now?

              John Miggins
              Harvest Solar & Wind Power
              "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
              www.harvest-energy.com
              Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
              Cell: 918-521-6223

> [...]
              >> > huge amounts of thermal mass structures, whether that be insulated
              > concrete
              >> > blocks, strawbale (my choice) or rammed earth/adobe. Home
              > orientation, for
              >> > those who are building should be mandatory. (?) After all, we are
              > trying to
              >> > create a "mini-climate" in each and every house in Houston,
              > imagine for just
              >> > a moment just how huge that electrical usage is in our summers
              > here! More
              >> > natural home choices are not only good for our world environment,
              > they just
              >> > make sense!!
              >> > All the best, Bill Stange and Family
              >> > Lisa Delaune <mmedelaune@...> wrote:
              >> >
              >> > you should check with "the allergy and health store" on bellaire
              > blvd. in the
              >> > sa e shopping center as whole foods. the owner is seemingly very

            • blpasemann
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 22 9:25 AM
                Hey John,
                I will have to look when I get home. I assume it's around 2 tons.
                My house is only 1150sq ft. Whatever the size is, I was wanting to
                know if I can go smaller. I wanted to add the garage and make it
                conditioned space, but I don't think that's a good idea with all the
                chemicals, gas water heater, etc. I will probably just seperate that
                space. I try and improve heat loss, air leakage and etc. as time goes
                on. But I don't plan to be in my house too long, depending on my job
                situation (I want to move to Austin), so that's why I want to do what
                I can and put the money in area's most critical. However I plan to
                keep the house as a rental if I move. I still want to do the solar
                hot water heater system also this year, so I can get off of propane.

                thanx

                --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "John Miggins" <jmiggins@...> wrote:

                > Brady, I commend you for your interest and approach to this. $36.00 is
                > pretty good bill size, I imagine that you are the envy of most
                people on
                > this list.
                >
                > sizing the AC is a science having to do with a multitude of factors
                > including heat loss, area, location, shading etc...
                >
                > How many square feet do you have and what size is your unit now?
                >

                > John Miggins
                > Harvest Solar & Wind Power
                > "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
                > www.harvest-energy.com
                > Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
                > Cell: 918-521-6223

              • Bashir Syed
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 22 9:28 AM
                  Solar PV Panels convert Light Energy into Electricity with a certain "efficiency" (usually between 15 to 10 % depending on type of Panels & technology) which varies during the day depending on the ;ight intensity falling on these Panels. One can use this energy directly as DC form of electricity to operate anmy DC load operable with the avaialable voltage 12 VDC or 24 VDC. This is usually the cae to operate Solar Pumps on Farms to bring out water from tube wlls which contain submersible solar pumps or floating pumps top bring water from a open resevoir (lake, river or canal, or a pond etc).
                  But if you want to operate any equipment suring the time when sunlight is not avaialable (night) or it is very small (on dartk cloudy moments), then this electrical energy needs to be stored in a Battery like than in your automobile. This system is called a stand alone system and can deliver energy whenever needed. For this one use special deep cycle batteries not the regular ones used in automobiles [Just check it on Yahoo or Google about the difference between the DeepCucle Solar batteries and the conventional automobile batteries>]
                  Thus if you want the convection system to operate day and night, one would need to store energy in such a battery system through a gadget called CHARGE CONTROLLER. (Check it on Yahoo or Google - What a Chage controller is in Solar Home System).

                  Bashir A. Syed
                  Vice Pres. (R&D)
                  Senior Member, International Solar Energy Association & Member of ASES, IEEE, APS, UCS, NY Academy of Sciences.
                  EnerTech Enterprises, Inc.
                  1120 NASA Parkway, Suite 220W
                  Houston, TX 77058.

                  PS. That is why I volunteered for informal tutorial sessions for people who want to learn more about Solar & Wind Energy Systems (during early May, as I travel to China by the end of May till end of June for projects overseas).

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 22 9:51 AM
                    The reason I know about OZONE toxicity is that during 1972-74, I was incharge of Electronic Instrumentation to collect Air Pollution data, while working for Rockwell Science Center, which had a Federal Government Contract from EPA for Air-Pollution Study in the Greater St. Louis, Metropolitan Area, and the instruments we used collected 24-hour data for Ozone, NOX, NO2, CO, CO2, SO2, Total Particulates, Total Carbon, etc, and Lead contamination spewed out by Auto-exhausts.
                    And another year during summer I worked with a research group doing Water Pollution Studies including radio-active waste entering water from a nearby Nuclear Power Plant. All that knowledge created an awareness in me to consider some of these harmful things which we take for granted as safe (as told by the government and the media). Then during my work on Defense related Projects and Space (since 1980), because of my background in Physics, I got involved in effects of Radiation on Electronic devices (IC's, Transistors, etc. ) which get damaged in Radiation Environment, and particularly more so in Space where the Radiation plays havoc with electronic systems as well as on humans (which made me serve on Radiation Safety Committee of NASA/JSC till I retired, but my interest in this subject has not waned due to health problems created by Depleted Uranium, and others (such as meltdown in Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, etc.).
                    As a m,atter of fact, about five years ago, after the Aviation industry learnt about high risks  to Pilots and Stewards and freequent fliers due to Radiation in Space, FAA had to warn the flight folks to cut down their flying hours, lest they become victims of those horrible effects of radiation from which no one can escape even in areas where Radon is plentiful, and frequent users of Cell-phones). Extended exposure to SUN's UV Radiation or in Tanning Booths can also lead to Skin Cancer.

                    Bashir A. Syed
> [...]

                    >   We as homeowners, as Americans should be focused on building homes that
                    > meet the environment we live in. Our Homes should at the very least be using
                    > huge amounts of thermal mass structures, whether that be insulated concrete
                    > blocks, strawbale (my choice) or rammed earth/adobe. Home orientation, for
                    > those who are building should be mandatory. (?) After all, we are trying to
                    > create a "mini-climate" in each and every house in Houston, imagine for just
                    > a moment just how huge that electrical usage is in our summers here! More
                    > natural home choices are not only good for our world environment, they just
                    > make sense!!
                    >   All the best, Bill Stange and Family
                    > Lisa Delaune <mmedelaune@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > you should check with "the allergy and health store" on bellaire blvd. in the
                    > sa e shopping center as whole foods. the owner is seemingly very knowledgable

                    believed to be clean.

                  • refuge@wt.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 22 10:15 AM
                      rightsizing an a/c unit has to do with how many square feet of conditioned
                      area, how tall the ceilings are, levels of insulation, radiant barrier how
                      much north/south exposure you have etc... the blower door test shows how much
                      air infiltration you have and shows areas that can be sealed to keep the
                      conditioned air in the house, they can work together but are seperate issues.

                      believed to be clean.