Re: [hreg] goof'n around

  • Roxanne Boyer
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
      Mike,
      I saw an article in HomePower magazine talking about using alternators to make wind turbines, so it can be done.  I also found this site that writes how to do-it-yourself:

      If I remember the Homepower article right, auto alternators are made to spin at high RPM, so a gearbox is required to match the relatively slow speed of the blades.

      Do you have a site to put one up?  In general, it takes a wind speed greater than 7 mph to get them spinning well, and at least 12 to 15 mph to get good generation.  Wind speed increases as you go up in height.  You should go up at least 30 feet; unless you live on the coast and have that kind of wind.

      A crazy idea I had one time, and forgive me if I posted it on this site before, was to put an alternator on a bike machine, which powered the television.  Then, if the kids wanted to watch TV, they would have to excercise for it.

      Good luck and let us know if you make any progress.

      -Chris

      Mike Schmitt <1954lincoln@...> wrote:
      Im starting to getting antsy and I’m tired of waiting for the money to get save up for a big project. I have a couple of alternators and generators from my old cars lying around and was wondering if I could use these to build a wind generator. I know it’s not the perfect setup but I think if I’m going to get anything done I just need to get started on something.

      Mike

      Mike Schmitt
      Towering Oak Farm

      --
      Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

    • Garth & Kim Travis
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1 4:36 AM
        I have some articles in hard copy that show using a series of 3 rear ends, with one wheel locked so the other wheel puts out a much faster rate [I am not a mechanic, can you tell?]  and by this method you get the rpms you need.  If you search for third world solutions, you can find all kinds of neat bodged systems.

        Bright Blessings,
        Kim

        www.otherpower.com/otherpower_wind.html

        If I remember the Homepower article right, auto alternators are made to spin at high RPM, so a gearbox is required to match the relatively slow speed of the blades.

        Do you have a site to put one up?  In general, it takes a wind speed greater than 7 mph to get them spinning well, and at least 12 to 15 mph to get good generation.  Wind speed increases as you go up in height.  You should go up at least 30 feet; unless you live on the coast and have that kind of wind.

        A crazy idea I had one time, and forgive me if I posted it on this site before, was to put an alternator on a bike machine, which powered the television.  Then, if the kids wanted to watch TV, they would have to excercise for it.

        Good luck and let us know if you make any progress.

        -Chris

        Mike Schmitt <1954lincoln@...> wrote:
        Im starting to getting antsy and I�m tired of waiting for the money to get save up for a big project. I have a couple of alternators and generators from my old cars lying around and was wondering if I could use these to build a wind generator. I know it�s not the perfect setup but I think if I�m going to get anything done I just need to get started on something.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

        Mike

        Mike Schmitt
        Towering Oak Farm
        www.54lincolncapri.com
        []

        --
        Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

      • Mike Schmitt
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1 7:25 PM

          Hello Kim

          Thanks for the heads up on that design. It is very interesting. And I have been reading up on it for a couple hours today.

          If you find any interesting articles send them my way.

          Mike

          Mike Schmitt

          Towering Oak Farm

          www.54lincolncapri.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1 7:43 PM

            Thanks for the information. The problem I have is that I live up near cut-N-shoot where there are a lot of high oaks and pines on my property. In the back half the trees are smaller and less dense. I need to get back there and see if the wind is easier to detect. Up by the house in the summer it is dead calm because of the trees. That is a good Idea with the bike..that one cant hurt… it can only be good.

            I was thinking of using the alternator with a scoop design like you see with the wind speed readers along highway 59, mounting it on a pole with the blade attach directly to the shaft..but that sounds not be enough.

            I wonder how much torque is lost with the addition of chains and pulleys with good bearings. Maybe a flywheel setup would eliminate some waste of momentum..just spitting out thoughts.

            Before I bought this house I lived in an apartment in League City …it was windy as hell every day. My door blew open all the time when I had the windows open. It’s a waste what the home owners association won’t let the home owners do in those new neighborhoods. I had to head to the country to spread my idea wings.