Fw: Kids are wonderful!

  • Marjorie N Wood
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2000
      --------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Nancy Harwood <ndhar@...>
      To: DILLO@...
      Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 07:44:50 -0500
      Subject: Kids are wonderful!

      If those of you in Houston were watching TV at all last weekend,
      you probably saw footage of the fire at the Pinemont Apartments,
      a HUD facility for senior citizens and mobility-impaired adults
      (and no, no matter what the media said, it is NOT an
      assisted-living facility!). I've been working part-time there
      since last December (retired teachers do NOT, in my experience,
      spend their after-teaching lives sun-bathing by the pool), and I
      have been amazed and terrifically touched, first by the bravery
      of the residents themselves (34 residents lost their homes and
      all their possessions), and since the fire by the generosity of
      Houstonians, who have come with a constant stream of donations of
      clothing, furniture, housewares, and money. What really brought
      me close to tears yesterday was the donation from the students
      and staff of HISD's Clifton Middle School -- they had collected
      more than $1700 for the displaced residents! As I said, kids are
      wonderful!
      Nancy Harwood