Sunscreens

  • Becky Merritt
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2000
      Lisha,

      When I built my screens, all of the material I needed was available at nearly any hardware store. You will need to measure your windows very carefully (measure twice, cut once). You need metal frame, easily cut with a metal saw by hand. Figure out how much screen material you will need (It comes in black and brown, so you can match your house and is cut with scissors). You will need spline, and a spline tool, too. The hardest part by far is putting in the spline. It takes a lot of elbow grease. I don't remember how I connected the frame corners, but information should be available at the hardware store. Also, you will need to get little metal springs to put at the top top of each screen to hold them in place in the window frame. If you are making a tall screen, you also need to put a piece of frame across the middle to help the screen keep its shape.

      Good luck!

      Becky Merritt
    • jclem412@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 23, 2000
        Folks in our condoland have been passing around info re: solar screens. In
        Houston, Rite Screens (solar), Charlie DeRise 281-478-4218. I've never met
        the guy but supposed to be reasonable, I believe he puts them up, but he
        might be open to suggestions re: purchasing materials.

        I can hardly believe this energy-saving bit is from our condoland. Maybe
        somebody did read the Roundup poster we put up. : )

        Now we need a solar array to power up the electricity here, or at least the
        POOL !

        With keeping fingers crossed, Diane Clemens