[hreg] Electric Restructuring - Rules in Review

  • jclemens
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 14, 1999
      HREG team:

      I have observed the rulemaking process at the Public Utilities Commission in Austin for the past two months.  The PUC has been holding public meetings on the subject of Electric Industry Restructuring (Senate Bill 7).  Proposed Rules are now on the web for public review.  I think the Houston Renewable Energy Group should formally respond during the comment period (until OCT 15).  PLEASE review the rules at

      The project number is 20944.  I solicit your comments.  I will draft up a group comment statement, if you all agree.  Thanks.

      Jonathan A. Clemens
      (281) 335-1155
    • Ewert, Mike
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 19, 1999
        Jonathan, I looked at some of the proceedings of the PUC on the web page you sent us.  I must admit that this is a new area for me and I don't understand much of it.  I think that may be the case with many of our members.  Nevertheless, it does seem appropriate for HREG to be involved and comment.  So, I for one, would like to see your draft comments.  Kathryn Houser, has TXSES made or planned to make comments?
        I have observed the rulemaking process at the Public Utilities Commission in Austin for the past two months.  The PUC has been holding public meetings on the subject of Electric Industry Restructuring (Senate Bill 7).  Proposed Rules are now on the web for public review.  I think the Houston Renewable Energy Group should formally respond during the comment period (until OCT 15).  PLEASE review the rules at

        The project number is 20944.  I solicit your comments.  I will draft up a group comment statement, if you all agree.  Thanks.

        Jonathan A. Clemens
        (281) 335-1155

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/hreg
      • Kathryn Houser
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 20, 1999
          Ewert, Mike wrote:

          > Jonathan, I looked at some of the proceedings of the PUC on the web
          > page you sent us. I must admit that this is a new area for me and I
          > don't understand much of it. I think that may be the case with many
          > of our members. Nevertheless, it does seem appropriate for HREG to be
          > involved and comment. So, I for one, would like to see your draft
          > comments. Kathryn Houser, has TXSES made or planned to make comments?

          Many of our individual members are extremely involved in the rule making
          process, particularly those who live here in Austin where most of the
          action is taking place. We have signed on a few position papers along
          with many other associations and businesses. We are actually having the
          Texas Renewable Energy Industries Association (TREIA) take the lead on
          this, as policy making is part of their mission more specifically than
          TXSES--one of the reasons we both exist, with many joint members.
          Kathryn
        • Chuck Wright
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 20, 1999
            Kathryn Houser wrote:

            > Many of our individual members are extremely involved in the rule making
            > process, particularly those who live here in Austin where most of the
            > action is taking place. We have signed on a few position papers along
            > with many other associations and businesses. We are actually having the
            > Texas Renewable Energy Industries Association (TREIA) take the lead on
            > this, as policy making is part of their mission more specifically than
            > TXSES--one of the reasons we both exist, with many joint members.
            > Kathryn

            There is always the concern over how much it is appropriate for TXSES,
            as a 501C3 non-profit, and who's official mission is education, to become
            involved in trying to influence policy. I don't think we understand this
            much.
            But, we have tended to shy away from putting the TXSES name behind
            specific policy recommendations. I find it tough to know what the right
            thing
            to do is. As Kathryn says, it makes a lot of sense for us to let TREIA
            handle that end of it (realizing that there is a certain amount of overlap
            in the memberships!).

            - Chuck