Re: [hreg] Re: Solar economics

  • Ida G Morello
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 21, 2000
      Please do not send any further info,,, Thanx, tmm

      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 21, 2000
        Do Not send me any further info.. Thanks, tmm

        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 21, 2000
          Do not send me any further info.. Thanks.. tmm..

          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 21, 2000
            Do not send me any further info.. Thanks, tmm..

            > I agree with you that we need to reduce our existing use of energy. I
            believe that the key to using solar energy successfully is to first become
            as energy efficient as possible. To that end, some other things to think
            about are using landscaping to block the sun in warm months and let it shine
            through in the cold month (deciduous trees, shrubs and vines, for ex).
            Plants can be put to use to encourage good air circulation around a home,
            too. Don't forget that a yard full of grass has a cooling effect.

            > Building an arbor or a patio cover on the east or west side of the house
            is a good idea, too. My husband and I built an arbor on the east side,
            shading our living room windows and planted wisteria vines. Now, we don't
            even need window coverings on those windows. The living room is bright
            enough during the day that we don't need to turn on lights, either. It also
            keeps our carpet and upholstery from fadiing.

            > Remember to check seals around doors and windows, and add more insulation
            in the attic if it is warranted. I have seen solar powered roof vents for
            sale. I'm going to look into getting one for my garage. ( I already have an
            electric roof vent for the house)

            > The solar sun screens are beneficial, as they block some of the sun's
            energy before it enters the home. I made 14 screens for my house, and saved
            a lot of money by doing it myself. (The less expense, the quicker the payoff
            time) I take the screens down in the cold months and put them back up when
            it gets warm again.

            > If you are just building a house, orientation is critical. A North facing
            orientation is probably ideal. Remember, though, that you want it to face
            due north, not magnetic north for maximum efficiency.

            > These are just a few thoughts. I'm sure there are a lot more out there.
            Good luck!

            > Becky Merritt

          • LENIO, JAMES A. (JIM) (JSC-DL4)
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 23, 2000
              Please remove me too from your email distribution. Thanks for all the good
              info and insight.

              Jim

> [...]

              > but most people are attracted to the quick fix and seem to think that
              > solar can offer a magic solution to their problems. The intuitive
              > friendliness people seem to have towards solar has created a lot of
              > opportunities for con artists in the past, and has left a lot of
              > disappointed customers in their wake. I wish I had a better answer
              > for them, but I have neither the time or patience to get into all
              > the economic details of renewables, conservation, social costs,
              > environmental impact, etc... This is why I chose to sell to industry,
              > not consumers. On the other hand, I don't want to discourage them
              > completely, so I really don't know the best way to handle these
              > inquiries other than to refer them to HREG, TX-SES or TREIA. Any
              > thoughts or suggestions? Does anyone in HREG want to talk to these
              > people, or have a better answer than I do? Keep up the good work!

            • Marjorie N Wood
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 23, 2000
                Maybe one thing all of us in regional groups could do would be to buy a
                huge batch of CFs at wholesale and sell them at that price to
                neighborhoods and members. Friday I went into a nice hardware and they
                wanted $26 for a name brand compact fluorescent. I know we should be able
                to do better than that.
                Marge

              • Steve Stelzer
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 23, 2000
                  IKEA has very reasonably priced compact fluorescents. Check them out.

                • Dmeengr@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 25, 2000
                    Please discontinue using my old e-mail address

                    dmeengr@...

                    You may reach me at

                    dmeengr@...

                    David
                  • Jim & Kathi Syzdek
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 26, 2000
                      Marjorie,
                      Home Depot has the swirling type of ligjts for around $8 -$9. These
                      lights use 15W for 60W equivalent light. They also have 20W size for 75W
                      equivalent light. They fit in the same space as a regular incadescent light
                      bulb in most applications. I have seen these same CFs at other stores also.
                      Jim

                      http://profiles.msn.com
                    • Marjorie N Wood
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 26, 2000