Re: [hreg] Re: Solar economics

  • Ida G Morello
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 21, 2000
      Please do not send any further info.
      Thanx.. tmm

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Steve Shepard <sbtdesigns@...>
      To: <hreg@egroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, October 20, 2000 3:56 PM
      Subject: Re: [hreg] Re: Solar economics

      > If Mr. Conlin doesn't have time or care to communicate with potential
      > interests in solar then please allow me to volunteer our time and efforts.
      >
      > We enjoy the opportunity to speak with new users and potential new users
      of
      > renewable energy technologies. Our motivation is economic to be sure but
      > our company mission is also based on empowering our customers with the
      > ability to generate their own power, become more self sufficient, be more
      > ecological consumers and conserve our country's resources. This is a
      > powerful desire for us as individuals and as a small business.
      >
      > It is also bonus to us that we also create competition for the government
      > owned and operated electric utility monopolies that operate in our region.
      > City Public Service (CPS)functions as an annexation scout for the City of
      > San Antonio. CPS is aggressively branching out, marketing and attempting
      > providing service to rural regions prior to electric utility deregulation
      > which is scheduled for 2002.
      >
      > San Antonio is one of the most aggressive annexation municipalities in the
      > State of Texas. In the last five years SA has annexed over 50,000 rural
      > county residents. The City only provides increased taxes for these
      invaded
      > citizens and provides little or no city services in return. San Antonio
      > follows the path that CPS forges invades and annexes the rural regions
      that
      > CPS engulfs.
      >
      > We welcome any interest, need, question or requirements related to
      renewable
      > energy technologies. As a small family business we recognize it is an
      > opportunity and a privilege to be of service. It's also a lot of fun!
      >
      > Steve Shepard
      > SBT Designs
      > 25840 IH-10 West #1
      > Boerne, Texas 78006
      > 210-698-7109
      > FAX: 210-698-7147
      > http://www.sbtdesigns.com
      > sbtdesigns@...

    • Ida G Morello
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 21, 2000
        Please do not send any further info,,, Thanx, tmm

        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 21, 2000
          Do Not send me any further info.. Thanks, tmm

          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 21, 2000
> [...]

            > but most people are attracted to the quick fix and seem to think that
            > solar can offer a magic solution to their problems. The intuitive
            > friendliness people seem to have towards solar has created a lot of
            > opportunities for con artists in the past, and has left a lot of
            > disappointed customers in their wake. I wish I had a better answer
            > for them, but I have neither the time or patience to get into all
            > the economic details of renewables, conservation, social costs,
            > environmental impact, etc... This is why I chose to sell to industry,
            > not consumers. On the other hand, I don't want to discourage them
            > completely, so I really don't know the best way to handle these
            > inquiries other than to refer them to HREG, TX-SES or TREIA. Any
            > thoughts or suggestions? Does anyone in HREG want to talk to these
            > people, or have a better answer than I do? Keep up the good work!

          • Ida G Morello
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 21, 2000
              Do not send me any further info.. Thanks, tmm..

              > I agree with you that we need to reduce our existing use of energy. I
              believe that the key to using solar energy successfully is to first become
              as energy efficient as possible. To that end, some other things to think
              about are using landscaping to block the sun in warm months and let it shine
              through in the cold month (deciduous trees, shrubs and vines, for ex).
              Plants can be put to use to encourage good air circulation around a home,
              too. Don't forget that a yard full of grass has a cooling effect.

              > Building an arbor or a patio cover on the east or west side of the house
              is a good idea, too. My husband and I built an arbor on the east side,
              shading our living room windows and planted wisteria vines. Now, we don't
              even need window coverings on those windows. The living room is bright
              enough during the day that we don't need to turn on lights, either. It also
              keeps our carpet and upholstery from fadiing.

              > Remember to check seals around doors and windows, and add more insulation
              in the attic if it is warranted. I have seen solar powered roof vents for
              sale. I'm going to look into getting one for my garage. ( I already have an
              electric roof vent for the house)

              > The solar sun screens are beneficial, as they block some of the sun's
              energy before it enters the home. I made 14 screens for my house, and saved
              a lot of money by doing it myself. (The less expense, the quicker the payoff
              time) I take the screens down in the cold months and put them back up when
              it gets warm again.

              > If you are just building a house, orientation is critical. A North facing
              orientation is probably ideal. Remember, though, that you want it to face
              due north, not magnetic north for maximum efficiency.

              > These are just a few thoughts. I'm sure there are a lot more out there.
              Good luck!

              > Becky Merritt

            • LENIO, JAMES A. (JIM) (JSC-DL4)
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 23, 2000
                Please remove me too from your email distribution. Thanks for all the good
                info and insight.

                Jim

> [...]

                > but most people are attracted to the quick fix and seem to think that
                > solar can offer a magic solution to their problems. The intuitive
                > friendliness people seem to have towards solar has created a lot of
                > opportunities for con artists in the past, and has left a lot of
                > disappointed customers in their wake. I wish I had a better answer
                > for them, but I have neither the time or patience to get into all
                > the economic details of renewables, conservation, social costs,
                > environmental impact, etc... This is why I chose to sell to industry,
                > not consumers. On the other hand, I don't want to discourage them
                > completely, so I really don't know the best way to handle these
                > inquiries other than to refer them to HREG, TX-SES or TREIA. Any
                > thoughts or suggestions? Does anyone in HREG want to talk to these
                > people, or have a better answer than I do? Keep up the good work!

              • Marjorie N Wood
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 23, 2000
                  Maybe one thing all of us in regional groups could do would be to buy a
                  huge batch of CFs at wholesale and sell them at that price to
                  neighborhoods and members. Friday I went into a nice hardware and they
                  wanted $26 for a name brand compact fluorescent. I know we should be able
                  to do better than that.
                  Marge

                • Steve Stelzer
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 23, 2000
                    IKEA has very reasonably priced compact fluorescents. Check them out.

                  • Dmeengr@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 25, 2000
                      Please discontinue using my old e-mail address

                      dmeengr@...

                      You may reach me at

                      dmeengr@...

                      David
                    • Jim & Kathi Syzdek
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 26, 2000
                        Marjorie,
                        Home Depot has the swirling type of ligjts for around $8 -$9. These
                        lights use 15W for 60W equivalent light. They also have 20W size for 75W
                        equivalent light. They fit in the same space as a regular incadescent light
                        bulb in most applications. I have seen these same CFs at other stores also.
                        Jim

                        http://profiles.msn.com
                      • Marjorie N Wood
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 26, 2000