Re: [hreg] Soffit Vents AND Fans????? - and MORE

  • Bashir Syed
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
      Dear All:
      The current issue of HOME POWER Magazine on its cover has list of articles, and the top one on this list is titled: "Insulate Yourself - From High Heating Bills - Best Options for Efficiency & Comfort (page 44), and many more goodies!
      Also, anther news item: HONDA enters the PV Market to build a factory to mass-produce solar cells at a car plant in Kumamoto prefecture, which will start operating in 2007, and produce at its full capacity of 27.5 megawatts of cells per year. Honda projects the plant will earn revenues of US $40 million  to $70 million  annually, as reported in IEEE's Spectrum Magazine, February 2006. Right now Japan is the largest producer of Slicon PV Cells and Panels in the world. And Plastic Solar panels made of Conducting Polymers are not a dream any more, but might soon be seen in most imagineable outer-wear. Even on page 20-21 of this magazine there is a picture of surfer on his surf-board using a PC  in wireless environment to send and receive his email, powered by a Solar PV Panel mounted on the Surf board by Intenl, and it's claimed that such a PC for surfers continues to work after one year using Intel's Centrino wireless technology.

      Bashir A. Syed
      Vice President R&D
      EnerTech Enterprises, Inc.
      1120 NASA Parkway, Suite 220W
      Houston, TX 77058

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
        There have been a lot of new players jump into the solar module industry in the last two years.  The problem right now for all of them is the lack of silicon suitable for solar module manufacture.  That issue is not showing any short solutions and will impede production this year.  Solar modules will remain in short supply, high demand and you can expect prices to go up.

        Steven Shepard
        SBT Designs
        25581 IH-10 West
        San Antonio, Texas 78257
        (210) 698-7109
        www.sbtdesigns.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
          No doubt about what you say, as I learnt from the Inter-Solar Conference/Exhibition, held at Freiburg, Germany last June, 2005. But as the saying goes, "necessity is the mother of invention," and scientists just don't stay put or become complacent when such events occur. Of course the scarcity of Silicon is causing Module shortage and price hikes, yet there is light at the end of the tunnel. The alternate PV technologies are evolving, such as Copper-Indium-diSelenide, Conducting Polymer PV Solar completely flexible materials, Dye PV materials, and Quantum Dots technology, etc. Thin Film technology and the Sliver Cells from Australia made headlines at the Paris Solar Energy Conference in 2004. The three Nobel Laureates, Alan Heeger, Walter Kohn, and Richard Smalley are devoting a great deal of time to push the envelope for Polymer Solar Cells, which hold a great promise to meet the Silicon Shortage causing serious supply and demand issue till mid 2007. We are setting up a PV Assembly plant overseas, and had a hard time to negotiate the avaialbility of Silicon Solar Cells, and got a small consignment from one the largest manufacturer in Germany for the time being.
          Another factor creating a bottleneck for the shortage and price hikes is the fact that giants, like SHELL, BP, and General Electric foreseeing coming energy crisis put their eggs in the Renewable Energy Basket to buy out most (almost 85% of the companies dealing with Solar PV equipment, to line themselves up before the Oil/Gas shortages hit the world to control and dictate prices in the future. But the reality is that there is a great future for the Renewable Energy and Energy Conservation technologies business for sustainable existence.

          Bashir A. Syed
          Houston, TX